Grand father arrested for carrying a knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Well what a ridiculous situation,we all now face,surely common sense should have prevailed,and as for the caution i'd have refused,and took it all the way,there's an interesting thread on BB,on our right to carry arms and its seems we are well within our rights to carry these items.

Bernie

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Just to show we need to be aware of the law. Man arrested for carrying a pocket knife.
I don't get it, not just a pocket knife, a locking pocket knife he broke the law, as it stands and was punished. Surely that is not really that news worthy. Locking knives are not legal, (unless you have a valid reason) in public places.
Would this thread get as much intrest if the title was changed to:-

Grand father arrested for carrying an unlawful/illigal knife

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I have to say it's his own stupid fault. Who takes a knife to court? He was asking to be arrested. I wouldn't dream of taking my perfectly legal SAK anywhere like that.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Hmm... it's not like he was just walking down the road, it was a court building and they have to be ultra-careful. There have been plenty of cases where disgruntled defendants try to attack judges etc.

Clearly plenty of people happily carry "illegal" knives for their work... I understood you needed a good reason to carry a knife otherwise prohibited? Obviously a court appointment doesn't require a blade.

ecobandit

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
northumberland
I carry a lockknife in my pocket at all times ,I have no intention of using it for harmfull purpose and never will,the law as as it stands is in puplic panic mode.the government need to do something so they panic and ban it,whats next screwdrivers,pens,pencils or how about frozen icepops,could do some serious damage that!, when I was a small child I was stabbed in the throat with a tin peashooter albeit by accident (well thats what my older brother said it was when me dad wallopped him) scarred me for life that did and to this day my older brother is banned from carrying a loaded peashooter in public!!!!. seriously its really down to educating your kids.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I carry a lockknife in my pocket at all times ,I have no intention of using it for harmfull purpose and never will,the law as as it stands is in puplic panic mode.the government need to do something so they panic and ban it,
AS far as I remember the lock knife has been banned for many years. (at least 8) so it's not because of the current panic,

[http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/Ukpga_19880033_en_1.htm]Criminal Justice Act, 1988[/url]
section 139 Offence of having article with blade or point in public place

3 For a knife to be a folding pocket-knife within the meaning of this section, it must be readily and immediately foldable at all times, simply by the folding process. A lock-knife, which required a further process, namely activating a trigger mechanism to fold the blade back into the handle, was held not to be a folding pocket-knife (Harris v DPP [1993] 1 All ER 562); followed in R v Deegan [1998] Crim LR 562,[1998] 2 Cr App Rep 121. The section applies to articles which have a blade or are sharply pointed, falling into the same broad category as a knife or sharply pointed instrument;

for more information it's worht a trip over to British Blades

P

Phantom

In my opinion its situations like this where the police an security guards alike need to show more discretion, I mean he's hardly going to go around stabbing people especially as he was handing it over voluntarily.
Also whats the definition of a public place in this situation?

Phantom

ecobandit

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
northumberland
yes locknives have been banned for many years but they are still for sale, many offences are carried out using kitchen knives or similar or using so called fantasy knives that are cheap and easy to aquire from the likes of ebay at little cost to the deviate who intends to reek havoc whilst under the infuence of hallucinogenic substances.youths seem unable to go out and have a good old fashioned punch up these days,if you want to push the boundaries try a cut throat razor,its under 3 inches and it doesnt lock! and i,m in need of a shave.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
I thought the law on this was well known , so I cannot understand taking a knife into a court. I have always understood a public place to be a place where the public are admited even if its for a fee , so basicaly anywhere except your own property or private property to which you have been specificaly invited , so for instance you could not carry a fixed blade knife on a campsite to which the "public " could pay to visit

P

Phantom

i know a courthouse is a public place but would you get away with taking a lock knife to a forest that is public for example or if your on a hike and you travel through a village with a lock knife would you get away with it?

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
No sympathy.:twak:

Lock knives are perfectly legal to carry with a reason to have one in your possession.

There is no reason, good or bad, to carry a lock knife in court.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
No sympathy.:twak:

Lock knives are perfectly legal to carry with a reason to have one in your possession.

There is no reason, good or bad, to carry a lock knife in court.

Not even if youv'e carried one all your life,and its become habit,i'm sure if he'd have realised he would have left it at home.no need for a caution and arrest he gave it to the security guard willing lee

Bernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE