GPS question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
If you can adjust the declination on your compass to read grid north then I recommend setting your compass and GPS grid north. When things get hard and you're lost, cold and need to get home/to your car. Adding or subtracting 3 - 5 degrees may be a little beyond you. It's all to your own taste just remember that you've done it or you'll be making a double adjustment and get yourself in a right pickle.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
SCOMAN said:
If you can adjust the declination on your compass to read grid north then I recommend setting your compass and GPS grid north. When things get hard and you're lost, cold and need to get home/to your car. Adding or subtracting 3 - 5 degrees may be a little beyond you. It's all to your own taste just remember that you've done it or you'll be making a double adjustment and get yourself in a right pickle.

I place my vote in favour of this method.

And whilst mentioning compasses I would add that, in addition to declination adjustment, it is prudent to select a compass that has a balanced needle. Those of us who travel over a wide range of latitudes will know that conventional compass needles are designed to work within bands of latitude.

Some good examples worth considering are to be had from Brunton or Suunto.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE