GPS for Geocaching

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Hi all,

I have recently got into geocaching, but the GPS on my phone does not seem to be the most accurate at times, especially a pain when it loses internet connection and the map does not download.

I have no idea what to look for in a GPS unit, so what would people recommend I look for in a unit?

A second hand unit would always be good as I don't need the newest.

So any tips would be grateful.

T.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I have a Garmin E-trex H, not used it much but planning on getting some use from it this year. Loads on youtube for using one...

KevStorr

Apr 10, 2011
Near Burton Upon Trent
Garmin Geko I have is great for small but has no mapping.

Do you need the maps? You could use your phone a have it just give you the GPS location. Or get an app the converts that and gives a grid reference.

I would have expected your phone to get you close enough that the Geocache info helps you find it.

If you also think that the person who left the cache might have used a phone to record the location. That might lead to an % of error.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Hi kev, the problem with my phone is down to running the thing over which seems to have crushed the receiver in someway (hence why it's a bit temperamental with connection)

Today it was off by about 5 to 10 meters at times

I still have 18 month on contract hence looking for a cheaper alternative than buying a new phone.

Good point about the percentage of error.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I've got the new etrex 20. You can upload os background maps (via Garmin Birdseye) and it does paperless caching. Loads easier to select a bunch of caches and send them to the gps - it sends descriptions across as well as allowing you to record finds, dnfs which then sync once you connect to a pc again.

With gekos and etrex H's you have to manually input coordinates and then print off descriptions.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
I use a Garmin GPSMap 62... It has a protruding antenna which makes it a bit bulkier than the other Garmin models but improves accuracy in wooded areas significantly.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

yeha

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2009
North Yorkshire
I have a Foretrex 401 and an Etrex H. I find the Etrex H easier to use, it just seems to be right first time more often than the Foretrex. Unfortunately they are very popular on ebay and you can now pickup the Etrex 10 for similar money. You can download coordinates direct to the devices or scribble them down on a bit of paper. The Etrex 10 can read the cache logs in the .gpx file, the other 2 can't. It also receives the GLONASS system.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I thought about getting one of the Foretrex models but having read some of the reviews I'm glad I didn't.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I'd go for the 20 rather than the 10 (I've got a 10, etrexH and GPS 60 as well), the maps and colour screen are worth the extra £.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I got a etrex H, its good. its simple, the menus are a bit clunky and it takes a little bit of tinkering to make it work how you want. other than that the battery life (3XAA) is really good, it works with google earth if you can find a USB cable and in conjunction with an OS map its good fun too. Good place to start if cheap enough.

Go for the H version.

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
I thought about getting one of the Foretrex models but having read some of the reviews I'm glad I didn't.

I have a 301 and love it. Obviously very basic compared to the larger units, but the convenience of having it right there on your wrist is a big bonus.

yeha

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2009
North Yorkshire
Mine is the 401. Great for walking and logging where you've been. Quick satellite lock. It's even got functions for jumping out of an airplane. But for geocaching and learning about GPS, it's not the one to use.

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
ive got a etrex vista hcx

free maps can be downloaded from openspace

also hook it up to the pc and send waypoints/tracks/routes via memorymap

also has barometer and altimeter so you can see pressure trends on a graph

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Bit of a bump for this.

Looking for a unit , just wondering what I need to be looking for the purposes of GeoCaching.

## sorry , mean't to say , whats a model to look out for? technology moves so fast , it leaves me behind! ##

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE