Got my axe sharp.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Finally got my axe sharp, I found the problem, I.

I wasn't sharpening it correctly, the edge can now shave hairs like my Clipper can, one last job to do, is make a new handle as the head is not very secure, the wedge is crap, it is some hollow rod of metal. For £3.42 and £3 postage you can't go wrong ^^

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk

I might not completely make a new handle, as I do not have a spoon knife, so I might cut the original handle down a bit and put a new wedge in, what wood do you think I should use for the wedge, the handle is hickory. Also which way to the grain to go is best?

Thanks!

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I wasn't sharpening it correctly, the edge can now shave hairs like my Clipper can, ...... For £3.42 and £3 postage you can't go wrong ^^

I beg to differ NT, try using it on a log to chop a few times, give it some normal use, then see if it shaves hairs again. Getting the edge on it and keeping it are very two very different things. Anyway glad you got the edge you were after. if nothing else at least you use dhtis Silverline axe as a practice piece to learn on. Just keep your thumb out of the way eh?

Hickory's good wood for the shaft. The direction of the grain... hmmm some people get a bit too anal about things like this but it's been said the best grain is when you see the annular rings of the wood as it pokes out the end of the axe head to be running parallel with the side of the axe. In other words if the cutting edge is down then the annular rings need to be vertical as well. I can see the logic of it in some respects, but if you're giving your axe some serious abuse then no matter which way the grain runs something's gonna give eventually.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
I beg to differ NT, try using it on a log to chop a few times, give it some normal use, then see if it shaves hairs again. Getting the edge on it and keeping it are very two very different things. Anyway glad you got the edge you were after. if nothing else at least you use dhtis Silverline axe as a practice piece to learn on. Just keep your thumb out of the way eh?

Hickory's good wood for the shaft. The direction of the grain... hmmm some people get a bit too anal about things like this but it's been said the best grain is when you see the annular rings of the wood as it pokes out the end of the axe head to be running parallel with the side of the axe. In other words if the cutting edge is down then the annular rings need to be vertical as well. I can see the logic of it in some respects, but if you're giving your axe some serious abuse then no matter which way the grain runs something's gonna give eventually.

Yes after a few chops it's still sharp, just about shaving hairs now, so I think there is no burrs on the edge. I used 800grit for the last sharpen, maybe I will use the 2000grit.

Thanks!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE