got me a terry for the winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
I have a little friend to stay with me until springtime.
Friday last week i was cycling back to my gaff, along a farm track and espied a, what appeared to be a dead hedgehog.
Unfortunate thinks i.....but, no apparent injury, i'm riding on a track that has 2 tractors a year roll on it. brakes on and back i walk, give it a poke and lo there is movement, slight. Ball reflex is non existent, so i whack it in my hoodie pocket and off i go.
Puncture!
Finally get home.
Thank the lord for fan assisted ovens. Gas mark Half, door open. then off to the vets.
The hog in question is one of this years males, underweight, was dehydrated, was absloutely covered in fly eggs and is now too light to hibernate.
Guess the moral is; hedgehogs don't do daylight, lack of ball reflex is VERY bad.
So if you spot owt unusual act. Be it a call to a wildlife rescue or vet.
And last but not least; vets do NOT charge for the treatment of wildlife.

regards jamie

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
Gotta admit i have a bit of a soft spot for hogs. Although i gat a feeling the little b****r will be waking up and making a god almighty racket when i go to bed :)

here' a linky for the British Hedgehog preservation Society http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/index.html
they don't take much looking after over winter, so if you have a garage or spare room and feel so inclined, maybe you could be a hedgehog carer/superhero ?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
hope you've got rid of the fleas by now though! Apparently only the Red Squirrel has more.......

True, but they are hedgehog fleas. Fleas are usually host-specific, so a hedgehog flea has no interest in biting humans, or, for example, dogs. Getting rid of the fleas is good for the hedgehog, especially in aiding its recovery, but irrelevant to everyone else.

Cat fleas are unusual in that they will bite humans as well as cats.

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
Firstly i shall start by stating that said hedgehog shall hereby be referred to as terry.
Terry has been ''frontlined''.
Terry has yet to be wormed. I have been informed that 'panacure' is reliable for all insundry, including the dreaded lungworm.

I've had fleas for years and it's never done me any harm :p

PS te little fella is just starting to wake up now; judgeing by the banging and crashing!!!!!!

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'll bite (unlike the fleas) - why Terry?

Well done on taking on such a project though mate. I'd be in touch with my local hedgehog rescue now if I thought Mrs Harvestman would let me. That and having a cat...

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Harvestman thats interesting about flea's being host specific,do Rat fleas fall into the same catergory of cat's eg bite humans? i ask because was'nt it the flea of the black rat that spread the plague?(Toilet digger sorry for deviating off topic,and good on you for helping out Mr hog overwinter.)

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
Harvestman thats interesting about flea's being host specific,do Rat fleas fall into the same catergory of cat's eg bite humans? i ask because was'nt it the flea of the black rat that spread the plague?(Toilet digger sorry for deviating off topic,and good on you for helping out Mr hog overwinter.)

human fleas are considered all but extinct. But all fleas will garner a drinkypoos from any availiable host beit brief. most plague host's are marmots (in mongolia and surrounding steppes) and groundhogs/squirrells , in north america ( i once pulled the tail off one once; long story).

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Are hedgehogs on the decline of recent? Reason I ask is I don't see them around anywhere near as much as I used to :(

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
yeah dwardo they are. multiple factors ; road traffic accidents, loss of habitat, wet summers, warm winters.
one ray of hope is that there a growing number of hogs that do NOT ball up when presented with a car, headlights glareing, instead they are rightly legging it :)
don't you just love natural selection :)

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
well done jamie and good look to terry will he be coming to brockers for a meet lol we always get a couple every year in our garden funny little things to watch im suprised it was nt well fed the amount of slugs due to wet weather they should be doing well but it does seem they are on the decline although someone here may know better

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE