Got given a nifty tent

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I am unaware of many synthetic laminates or silicon impregrated plasticized materials that were more breathable than ventile? Maybe they do when wet I suppose. I agree that synthetic weave may have a higher abrasion resistance - but does the laminate and its bonding? Weight would seem to be the bigger issue would it not?:confused:

Hmm, look at pertex quantums technical specifications for instance. I was unclear, if you compare synthetics with the same water column as ventile would make more sense. Abrasions resistance, well, yes even with coatings, membranes or silicon imregnation I would say synthetics rule big time over ventile. My ventile jacket, comfy and smart as it is, still looks a lot more used than my older shell jackets. One of my fathers tents is from 1987, still in good nick, used every summer, maybe a total of at least 20 nights a year, a LOT more when I used it too. Synthetics...

Fishy1: No, it is not very strong. In fact this is something that is considered when you constuct ventile garments (or at least should be taken into account). Ff you would consider strength per weight ratio, the lightest ventile fabric weigh 165 gram/sqrm, comparable with 210 D Cordura, PU coated (130 gram/sqrm) or uncoated 160 D ripstop cordura (130 gram/sqrm). Those corduras are basically backpack material. If you seriously think ventile is stronger than those two (or more windproof than anything PU coated...). Ventilation (or 'breathing') in a tent comes first and most importantly from design, not material properties. A two wall design allows for a good ventilation, without any need for a 'breathable' tent fabric. A single wall requires a textile that allows vapour transport, but can also use good ventilation. I personally would use a single wall tent without the possibility to use a fire inside (the fires creates an upward draft and leaves condensation problems outside).

I suggest you do some serious googling before running amok on your expensive fabric roll with your scissors..

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Rik, the only way progress is made is by trying to make things better. Plus, what does a force 10 cost nowdays, £300? I could make a sturdier, more robust version exactly what I wanted for far less.

Tengu, are you building or buying replacement poles? If so, how?

I'd imagine the fact it has no guys means it is needing some or else is an incrediblely cheap tent not worth fixing. The large gap in between outer and the ground would also cause bad things with wind I think.

The two man Black's Mountain tent I had was Egyptian Ventile weighed about 22lb, a fantastic bomb proof shelter. However, the workmanship was second to none and not something you could do at home to be honest. Remember, its not just a few metres of Ventile, you would need ground sheet material (no, you can't use Ventile for that), strong poles, 'A' frame to spread the weight, re-enforced double stitched seams, and of course, extra Ventile for the fly sheet you would need if you hoped to stay dry in the weather we have here.

The Force Ten I receieved from a member here is fantastic, and I'll use if for my 'retro camping' weekends to match some of my stoves etc, but in the modern world I'll stick to my Hex 3

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
If we would look at statistics I'm certain that synthetic tents would be more common on ANY latitude. And altitude.

I'm not so certain.

Alot of synthetics are highly flammable. And if you in the artic or antartic you have to be able to cook inside the tent. Pertex being Nylon just isn't going to be as flame retardant as Ventile.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Which polar explorer use ventile tents? Anyone since the rise of synthetics? Last guy I heard of crossing antarctica used a bergans single wall breathable tent. Hilleberg and The North Face seem popular too, none carry any ventile models. Most real scientific explorers use motorised transport, I think we can agree on that, no need for any ventile in those.

The Antarctic survay teams use them - and they stay for long periods - not just a quick race to the Pole and back!
It could be that I am an old fogey (twice your age BS) but I see no huge advantage in modern synthetics where UV degredation, wear and tear, breathability, ease of repair and other such conciderations are concerned.
Weight is not a problem for the BAS boys as they have motor transport - for at least some of the time!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Arrrgh. Oh noooooo, this is not turning into an argument between the "natural" and "synthetic" camps, is it? Please, stop the skirmish before it becomes a war :D :D

:) Nice tent Tengu. Maybe I am simple minded, but I like these. Having battled with dome tents and their blooming spaghetti poles for years with the kids, there is nothing like the simplicity of these. I hope you get to use it.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Sorry for not answering, but I HATE the looading time of this site these days!

As for tents, well, do what you like. I have spent closer to a year on 79 degrees north, and spent more than 100 tent nights in the scandinavian arctic. I for one would not choose ventile over synthetics for a trip going on skiis or anything musclepowered (dogs etc.). Cooking is not a problem in a good tent, no matter what material.

IMHO ventile has it's pros, no material is really any better than any other, just suitable to different things. Ventile is perfect for activities which include fires and stalking, such as hunting and wilderness living, where rain isn't a huge factor. Also good for clothing for cold and dry environments (antarctica, the arctic) but without a lot of mechanical abrasion (mountains put a real strain on ventile). For tents, I beleive, in conjuction with most manufacturers, distributors, vendors, end-users, that there are better alternatives to ventile.

So, let's go have a beer, to celebrate tengus new tent instead!
:beerchug:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Antarctic survay teams use them - and they stay for long periods - not just a quick race to the Pole and back!
It could be that I am an old fogey (twice your age BS) but I see no huge advantage in modern synthetics where UV degredation, wear and tear, breathability, ease of repair and other such conciderations are concerned.
Weight is not a problem for the BAS boys as they have motor transport - for at least some of the time!

And the BAS still use Optimus 45 Paraffin stoves, been out of production longer than many forum members have lived, but they work well, and are easy to maintain. ;)

Ventile tents are heavy by nature, and really not the best for the UK weather; you could always employ some poor Gurkha who is living on reduced pension and without guarantee of staying in the UK after serving Queen and country to carry it I guess :soapbox: :eek:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats a good idea. Where do I get a Ghurka? Do they eat much? Can they be taught to carry a Mora instead of a khukri? (I am not a Khukri fan.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE