Got given a nifty tent

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Rik, the only way progress is made is by trying to make things better. Plus, what does a force 10 cost nowdays, £300? I could make a sturdier, more robust version exactly what I wanted for far less.

Tengu, are you building or buying replacement poles? If so, how?

I'd imagine the fact it has no guys means it is needing some or else is an incrediblely cheap tent not worth fixing. The large gap in between outer and the ground would also cause bad things with wind I think.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yes, that was kinda what gave me the idea. Would certainly be useful in the mountains in wintertime, however in wet conditions I'm not sure.

A 2 man pyramid ventile tent from Snowsled weighs 64lbs. Though they are 2.2m high, with 2.3 m sq. floor space.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
ventile fabric needed would be about 4m by 1.5m, at £16 a metre, that works out at £64.

Are you sure about the measurements ? As we have just made 2 ventile coats and used over 5 meters of fabric.
Andywinkk has made a tipi out of some other fabric and I am sure he used a lot more than 4 meters. Drop him a PM he should be able to tell more.
Let me know how it works out tho as I am thinking of one myself.

Greg

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Does that fabric area include end, porch, doors, valence and reinforcements?

What is valance? It did include all the other things you mentioned tho, although I never claimed it was a big tent. The inner would not be made of ventile. The design I'm thinking of is quite low to avoid the wind catching it.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Are you sure about the measurements ? As we have just made 2 ventile coats and used over 5 meters of fabric.
Andywinkk has made a tipi out of some other fabric and I am sure he used a lot more than 4 meters. Drop him a PM he should be able to tell more.
Let me know how it works out tho as I am thinking of one myself.

Greg

I have just gone back and re read the thread and noticed that you are planning on making a force ten alikie and not a tipi so ignore me :D

Greg

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
What is valance? It did include all the other things you mentioned tho, although I never claimed it was a big tent. The inner would not be made of ventile. The design I'm thinking of is quite low to avoid the wind catching it.

Sorry - snow skirt or snow valence (also keeps out the wind or sand!)

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
In tent construction, why would ventile be better than canvas (or synthetics)? Sorry if I say so, but this ventile tent is just ridiculous. For an even more old school look why not go for wool? Or maybe furs?

Ventile offers silence and protection from sparks for clothing. None of that is interesting in a tent. And the reason you go for ventile instead of canvas is the water resistance, where synhetics are miles ahead. It's just gonna be heavy, and heavier when wet. Thin synthetics 'breathes' better than ventile anyway so why bother? And also synthetics are a lot more hard wearing.

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
Had one of these years ago, if it has a loop in the middle of the inner that goes over the pole I would recommend not using it, mine always used to leak down this loop where it was in contact with the fly, brought back some good memories though thanks.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In tent construction, why would ventile be better than canvas (or synthetics)? Sorry if I say so, but this ventile tent is just ridiculous. For an even more old school look why not go for wool? Or maybe furs?

Ventile offers silence and protection from sparks for clothing. None of that is interesting in a tent. And the reason you go for ventile instead of canvas is the water resistance, where synhetics are miles ahead. It's just gonna be heavy, and heavier when wet. Thin synthetics 'breathes' better than ventile anyway so why bother? And also synthetics are a lot more hard wearing.

If it is such a bad idea can anyone explain why Polar explorers use them? And have for years...and years.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Very strong, breathable but windproof, and doesn't need to be waterproof in that enviroment. Swede, I don't belive it is ridiculous.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon

I am unaware of many synthetic laminates or silicon impregrated plasticized materials that were more breathable than ventile? Maybe they do when wet I suppose. I agree that synthetic weave may have a higher abrasion resistance - but does the laminate and its bonding? Weight would seem to be the bigger issue would it not?:confused:

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
If it is such a bad idea can anyone explain why Polar explorers use them? And have for years...and years.

Which polar explorer use ventile tents? Anyone since the rise of synthetics? Last guy I heard of crossing antarctica used a bergans single wall breathable tent. Hilleberg and The North Face seem popular too, none carry any ventile models. Most real scientific explorers use motorised transport, I think we can agree on that, no need for any ventile in those.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE