Got a new toy today

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
biggrin.gif
pleased as punch, just need to figure out things to do with it when I've cleared the project backlog a wee bit. Serial number says it's a 201k from 1939..... SWMBO's still shaking her head...
biggrin.gif

P3190015.jpg

Cheers,

Alan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I had one of those when I was a little girl :D I couldn't reach the treadle of my Grandmother's machine so Grandpa fixed up one of those for me :cool:
It might still be up the loft in my brother's house :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I have two THREAD INJECTORS in the house that i really want to use but dont know a thing aboot them.:dunno:

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cool. I met an artist in a mill open day recently, and she had an old one of these with the table with all the secret Jimmy Saville style compartments.
She was well pleased I showed an interest, and it was found heading for the skip too. Good save!

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Nice Alan

You could knock me up a couple of Northwoods copies if you like ;)

Perfect, pitched off the new paddle, what else? :D .....well, it doubles as a workin' sail and I just need one. ;)

Nice looking Singer. funny plug:p
A friend of mine has and uses an old treadle Singer, a "boot and saddle" type that's old enough to have made the boots and saddle for Billy the Kid. I take a couple steps back when he gets the thing going. We're just kind of wingin' it out here.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Showed me mum it and she remarked that it was very similar to her first one but she didn't have 'the electric' and that it was only 2 years younger than she was!! (but it looks a helluva lot better :eek: LOL!) Got some ideas for stuff to do but really need to do a pile of other stuff first so it's going in the boatshed for a while!

Cheers,

Alan

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
I'm sitting here looking at one almost identical but its a 'viceroy' by Universal sewing machines ltd. Exactly the same shape though... My girlfriend left it with me now shes off in far flung lands. I think its looking for a new home... will have to check, but if any of you jealous 'uns are in the nottingham area.. you may be in luck.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Clean and oil every moving part on it and it will be a great user! I have a 201 that is threadle powered which is almost silent when in use. Just an amazing machine which will last many lifetimes if taken care of. Pure metal no plastic!

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
Looks almost exactly like my mum's, although hers is a hand-cranked model, and has the arched lid.

I don't remember when it was made though I know it pre-dates her and she's 76.

Glydr

Feb 17, 2010
Wirral
Yeah my mams got one of those, was her mams before that, might I be so bold as to ask what it cost you chainsaw?

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Nice machine mate, i love my old one an its still going strong and all its needs is a bit of TLC.
Keep me posted on what that old machine can do.

img1230ak6.jpg

Cheers Topknot

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nice one Alan, I use the cast iron base of a Singer machine as my computer table, the little side drawers are very handy.

MrPhil

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2009
East Coast of Kent, UK
I too have one of these, was given to me by my mates dad who was a tailor - the machine he gave me was just in storage out the back of the shop and not one he used daily.

I should really get the old thing out and give it a clean and will post some pix when I can.

Last edited:

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Yeah my mams got one of those, was her mams before that, might I be so bold as to ask what it cost you chainsaw?

Got it from a friend at work, her mums or sisters or something, she didn't want anything but I chucked a 20 at her, felt guilty about getting something for nothing! I don't think they're worth much, too common, mine was from a batch of 60,000 machines :eek: but they are great for heavy duty stuff. You can check the date of these guys by looking up the serial number, tells you the model and round about when it was built.

Was guddling with it today, stripped it down to give it a good lubing and fettled it a wee bit, kitchen smells of oil now :D

Cheers,

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE