Goodbye Tipi, Hello Laavu?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I'm getting excited now but gutted theres rain forecast, I was hoping to visit at White Rose this weekend for a rough tryout so I can start working out the apex and hem seams.

Looking Good Sal, bring it along, you can always leave it in the vehicle and just have a cuppa. :)

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Brilliant, David, thank you so much for the Jervens fabric link... I've been passing it around all the folk I've met who were looking for it! Splendid stuff, I've a feeling theres going to be a rash of moss covered rocks at next years meets ;)

Good call, Martin, I'll shove it in anyways :) We're hoping to get down to the Super Sausage around 10ish on saturday so after a humungus belly buster for my bloke, we'll walk in for a visit :)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I've taken a couple of shots to fire me up with apex inspiration of the lads laavus at White Rose today... soooo nice to visit and recieve a very kind laavu pressie of digicam paracord from lovely Bare Thrills, thank you everso, matey!

So heres the Helsport Kongsvold 8-10 apex (akaDividal if you're on the Tamarac(?sp) site...
156303_4778298409820_1742113246_n.jpg

And same laavu vent panel... I should have taken a diameter, sack the researcher!
295364_4778299809855_1629318918_n.jpg

They look brill with or without porch, mine won't be the same although the tape measure gave me a right shock when I measured it up, it'll take (another!) shedload of fabric!
149311_4778301049886_94020436_n.jpg

Martin showed me the american stove jacks from bearpawwd.com- apparently they have a fleabay site too but note the shape which is for a tipi/ laavu, the idea being they are fixed to the inside with cutout full area and an oval fitting the chimney protector in the fire retardant material which has a seperate overflap to shield the higher area from heat. It has a seperate piece of waterproof fabric which velcros over from the outside when you're not using it but there's video instructions on youtube for fitting.... they are available for tents too with a different size panel insert :) (no connection, just handy info to pass on)
528834_4778301249891_224531535_n.jpg

Mines coming up a bit smaller than the Helsports, more like the size of Andy BBs but it made sense to work at maximum fabric width so I'm not devastated :) And seeing them up, chatting with the lads and hearing that some of my adaptions are actually what Martin would change in an ideal world.... well, I'm pumped about that and full of renewed vigor for the project now I've got the pics and measured up more :)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Don't they just, and they were all very patient and helpful with info and not minding me tramping around their pitches, measuring everything :) It was really grand to see them looking so well and full of enthusiasm after your hols :)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
1000m+ of thread later.... ;) and things are coming together! I wanted the apex to have versatile fitting options so there are polyprop loops rather than a fixed tape frame to contain an extending pole. They're secured through the apex facing onto the flat fell seams to give integral strength.
425991_4991304734845_847169929_n.jpg

I've used a buckle off a trashed bag to make it easier to erect- that was always a weakness of the tipi in windy inclement conditions and the dutch cord lacing will be slower so at least it'll be up and I can be under it while lacing in wet condition erections :)

I hope to have enough fabric for a removeable porch so when the front 2 panels are open, it doesn't rain in... there's so much more to consider for English weather than the cold which the laavus are usually used in!
75531_4991304534840_138235930_n.jpg

I might get it up for a trial at Northwood this weekend and make sure the measurements are ok and the basic design is functional. You will hear the swearing from wherever you are if it isn't ;) and I might get some seamproofing done too hopefully! It'll have to be suspended as I don't have chimney measurements yet and the S.O. is waaaay too busy to weld me something up atm :)

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Had a really good first erection session at Northwood last weekend with huge help from the extremely knowledgeable Martin- ta chuck!!

179217_10200109636958129_1962201005_n.jpg

The apex is suspended from an overhead line, unfortunately a bit mackled onto the apex- too short and only every other seam, so its pulled into folds at the top. Longer, tighter and every seam in future! It deformed the top enough that it was impossible to finalise the porch shaping but it still proved the basic design works :)

I'm real pleased with the porch. It'll provide a drip-proof opening with the door held open, ideal for keeping the entrance a bit more mud free and great for setting up as a kinda hide for wildlife spotting in the woodlands!
581798_10200109637398140_1754765137_n.jpg

It needs a lot more shaping and possibly more offcuts to widen it slightly as it needs to overlap over the opening and onto the main tent for best protection. The jury is out to which way to fold the doors- I'd thought out so it 'guttered' the rain but apparently thats a bad idea with the cotton canvas styles as the water can wick though and drip from the gutter base.... luckily it should secure either way.

The flyouts work really well and I'm very happy with the heights, it gives plenty of room at head and for sleeping/ sitting in it :)
482255_10200109638238161_2019498376_n.jpg

We did half and half, one side shock cord through both sets to the floor, the other side shockcord pulled out with paracord to branches from between the flyouts. Its important that it can be either woodland or open field erected for my usage.

I'm going to loose a fair few inches getting the porch securing ridgeline to mate up with the tent- we used a snap buckle for paracord bracelets, one side through the dutch lacing closure 30-40cm from the apex, the other will be set back to get that overlap I was banging on about.
13228_10200109639078182_1846843386_n.jpg

This is from the porch into the laavu, tis looking pretty good in theory!
482873_10200109639238186_795433917_n.jpg

We're thinking more flyout style loops either side of the door so the flyfront can still be effective to opening height. I need to get it up in the garden with a correct apex- I can do that now thanks to Martins extending shower pole, which will work a dream when it has a little retainer cap. Then the porch width enhancement, secure tie point in the centre and shaping to fit the laavu sides nicely, I can set up and mark the outer edge for connecting to my tarp and hem it all. If theres any leftover fabric, I'll try to add a snow/ wind skirt too :) The other chimney apex adaption can wait until I've got the porch, laavu and raincap finished or my sanity will be compromised ;)

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Sal dont forget to pm me your address and ill ping over the other hank of digicam i unearthed
Ohhhh that'll be wonderful, Paul! I loved the stealth of the digicam, it simply vanishes in the woodland and against the laavu, absolutely perfect :) You'll notice it isn't visible on any of the pictures but it is ALL in use in there!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE