Goodbye Tipi, Hello Laavu?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Thank you, bushson :cool: Will go stalk it ;) Interesting that the fabric is 185g/m2 Cotton Polyester, they suggest car/ canoe use.... that might help John, I think he's fabric shopping for a similar useage. They've added a 'fireproofing agent' to it but it's not specific on what... industrial secret, no doubt... booooo!

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
More thoughts on the design 'wishlist'- sorry for spamming but its great to have all my thoughts in one place!
· Could the outer be constructed like a canvas tipi (ie fabric cut from a semicircle) rather than using 9+1 door panels? Not as integral without the attachments on seams though.
· Door openings are possibly better not run centrally to the opening as it could drip
· Having an inner lining which would be collared around the chimney would allow it to raise and lower from tags on the inner face of the outers top tie outs.
· Also consider removeable chimney bracket which used one way up could support from an overhang suspension (watch rain seepage though) or other way up to use chimney as the integral pole.
· Inner room would benefit from tie out straps at lower level too as per Finnmark model.
· Unsure if groundsheet better attached– if so, removable with firepit foldback Velcro’d in, poss centrally as needs to fit chimney support
· Rain deflector for chimney better from tin but would need a raincap separate for summer use? Could use as top anchoring point for stability if strong enough and fitted into chimney :)
· Might have to have open top for air quality/ condensation prevention… think of way to deduce heat loss in emergency use though
· Porch (like the range tents) over door to prevent woodland drips/ vertical rain while still able to have door open– removeable? With attachments to zip fly, consider further attachments/ overlap for use with existing tarp
· Consider opening option with both door panels able to fold back like the tipi for summer use (as below when I was figuring how to do it during construction of the tipi)
27882_1380136617899_968650_n.jpg

· Calculate base area on floor plan examples/ height requirements inc liner attach vs drop adjustment to create lower heat deflection & thermo cycling of heat
· Think about versatile erection options and adaptions for all seasons ie summer ventilation & mozzie protection

I've been pouring over the Helsport Finnmark specs, what a super tipi that is- has anyone any experience of them? Would love some feedback on that one because it looks and sounds the mutts :)

Last edited:

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Last edited:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Nice thread linky on the loue, cheers :) I missed that one!

So Martin, you going Finnmark then? Can't wait to see what you n Cliff come back with! The tipi was so damn impressive with its half lining in that an inner is an absolute must for me, it kept drips at bay beautifully and reflected heat just where it was needed... a dropable canopy to it seems the next level and when I saw the finnmark had one.... well, convinced! And a flap-backable groundsheet opening for fire location? Why has this not been done before?!

I'm thinking 2oz ripstop camo for the outer (because noone else has a camo laavu and I'm a contrary woman) with aluminised fabric liner which is 4oz, only available in black or cream 'face' unless I win the lottery and can afford to make the whole thing outa Jervens mossrock.

Calculating the sizes is a PIA- I'm sketching what I need in there and getting back to algebra and geometry equations... godz, this gal knows how to have fun ;) Would 3 camp beds physically fit in yours, guys, triangulated round the fire? As an absolute maximum, it'd usually be me on my Jack or with Youngling which would be pleasantly roomy without allowing too inefficient heat wastage... I'm calculating using a guesstimation of camp cots at 6'3"x2'6" but need to add room for cold airflow to drop behind the bed, I made the mistake of sleeping too close to the exterior in the tipi and tis coooooold there!

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Oooh, very nice, lots of great construction details especially! Mmmm looks like he went 2oz, it looks a little lightweight... I'll run it through a translater after crimbles, I really ought to be cooking and wrapping today anyhow.... NEVER wish your wife was into bushcrafting, lads, tis a curse, I tell ye ;) Got a basic wishist floor plan but can't upload it atm, pic hosters too busy....grrrr!

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
FINALLY, success with my pic host :) I've got a rough idea of the scalng from working what-I-want outwards, I now see what you mean about an 8-10 size, Cliff! The heights, tie outs and liners are sketched out (yet to put into a meaningful diagram) so I'll work on pitch and other minor details (like how to attach a fire and not burn myself out first time and other inconsequentials ;) )

Plan so far...
540186_4574846043638_315211661_n.jpg

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Hey Sal - whilst looking at your diagrams, remember to factor in the slope of the tipi and the height of the camp-beds - I'm not sure your diagram would work when considering the slope of the walls. Maybe look at building in a wall to the base of your tipi?

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I was thinking that- either a bell tent type drop, or increasing diameter even more which would be getting a bit self defeating... I'm thinking those old camp beds, ally slot together formed stuff, remanufactured to make a semicircle ledge and keep the diameter closer to the 4-6 for affordability of fabric :) I'll loose some room with the liner anyhow... wish I could make shaped airbeds but I think thats well into the sphere of one-idea-too-far!

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Well, a christmas long ponder while cooking (and washing!) up a storm has left me thinking the camp bed idea will be untenable so I've followed Erics advice and mocked up an indicator of size, working from ergonomic basics outwards.

Heres my findings.... I'll need much more fabric but the 2 existing weights I've used previously are on the lhs. Theres lots of clips and fastenings but I might lash out on plastic hooks for the liners to save weight and use the netal ones for hot areas like round the chimney.
418643_4612457543902_745893679_n.jpg

Here's where my haphazard feminine approach shines through... no marks for profesionalism on my notes thanks!
386589_4612353381298_32490551_n.jpg

This is giving a pretty good idea of size- not big, but adequately comfy for 3, 2 in comfort with kit, standing room, inner accesible from inside to adjust. Got a good idea of the tie out locations now too.
74946_4612359141442_665957270_n.jpg

Sitting room gives the bottom tieback height for liner to cover and cover outwards, allowing at least 10cm air gap- the tipi 'chimney effect' made this a must-include.
66478_4612358421424_335565541_n.jpg

Plenty of sleeping room without being in the cold area of the eaves or fouling the inner tent...
229916_4612358261420_817556060_n.jpg

I probably said already that I want the central section of the inner to be dropable so it encourages thermocycling of the warm air and ensures its not all wasted above the head when sitting/ lying. The top left pic kinda indicates this hanging from the top tie backs, I reckon a collar which would drop from lugs in the upright position should do the job.
379495_4612353461300_144388012_n.jpg

And, BONUS! The mans at the pub and the rooms back to normal, it never even happened.... :pokenest:

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Hello Sal
I see you have used the Helsport Finnmark sizes :).

How much internal room will you lose with the liner fitted? (Cancel that I have just had a better look at you notes :) ) If you not using cots it dont matter of course .

Plastic clips are the way to go thoughout no rust problems then .

Are you concidering a porch Varanger camp style?.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out :)

Twodogs

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE