Good waterproofs on a budget

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BPR_MiK

Jul 8, 2011
Derby
www.flickr.com
Has anyone got any good advice on waterproof coat and trousers on a real budget ?

It`s only for uk use and i`m not really planning anything too rainy TBH but this weekend i got caught out propper and although my cheap ragatta pack-a-mack type jacket and trousers work ok, once it stops raining and i`m moving about i just sweat and get nearly as wet.

So i`m looking to buy some good stuff but not only am on a budget but have to buy at least two sets for me and my son, since my wife and one of my other lads sometimes come with me i might even have to considder buying for them too !

cheers

Mick

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Mick if you keep to the absolute budget of "cheap", you'll end up with more sets as you've described - OK if you stand still and sweaty as soon as you move about.

Wax cotton clothing is available at relative low cost and charity shops might be worth keeping an eye on over the summer.

Don't ignore the capability of things like umbrellas and rain ponchos if you get really stuck though.

ATB

Ogri the trog

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
As Ogri suggested, a poncho and gaiters perhaps? They're easier to remove and the poncho gives better overall coverage. Not so good in the wind but you can leave the sides open to help with air circulation. You can pick up a used 58 pattern for a tenner and some gaiters for about the same.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
The army stuff looks heavy :( i mostly go hiking so want as light as possible...Probably asking a bit much :(

If you are looking at one of the breathable clones you probably will not get down to the size/weight of your regatta pack-a-mac without spending a lot. It is not light in the (say) Montane or Marmot sense but my ridiculously big DPM is lighter than my winter Mountain Equipment, not least because it has no "features" other than two patch chest pockets. It is however reasonably bulky as the fabric is not as soft touch as some of the consumer gore or eVent fabric constructions. I dont have DPM overtousers but my son does and I would guess they are similar weight to our Berghaus Deluge but slightly more bulky because they are stiffer but not much and probably more robust but fewer tech features (no side zips).

You do however look like a wannabe squaddy so it is not for everyone, or travelling in some areas overseas :)

HTH

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE