Good value Jackets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
I'm after a waterproof jacket that I can wear whilst walking the dog, but also for trips lasting a couple of days or so where I might have to wear it to keep the weather off, but equally it might sit in my pack doing nowt for long periods.
So, I would like your recommendations please, for a light(ish) weight waterproof jacket, with at least two pockets, green or brown, that won't make too much rustling noise, that will be comfortable if worn with a pack, that doesn't cost more than about eighty quid, a detachable hood would be nice but not essential...
I was looking at the Highlander Rexmoor which may fit the bill, if it isn't too bulky.
Any views on this one, or any others? Up to now, all my waterproof stuff is really for running, so not ideally suited to buggering about with honey stoves, tarpaulins, and trying to spot the local wildlife!

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
For the money i'd look for a secondhand Barbour wax jacket on ebay eg, or get yourself a craghopper waterproof in their (seemingly) continous sale. Don't go to their website, again use the 'Bay, or if you have a Hawkshead store near you, they do Craghopper sale gear

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Mick's question is a darned good one and one that I'd like answered myself. You absolutely need a waterproof in the UK, but you'll probably/hopefully spend more time carrying it than wearing it.

Craghoppers may be be well the best bet for price vs performance, but beware: some of their green packable waterproofs are almost flourescent, not olive drab.

Keela Munro - £160, good colour, all technical features, issued by mountain rescue - but a bit heavy.

Paclite Goretex- AFAIK you'd need it from a made to measure supplier if you want it in Olive, but I'd love to be corrected on this.

Single layer Barbour (used to be the Durham jacket) - not bad, robust, not stupidly heavy but certainly not the lightest

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
May 17, 2011
Lancashire
My vote goes to Paramo, I'm a big fan of everthing except the price. It doesn't have the Goretex "rustle" and is very comfortable to wear all day, I spent a full day walking in the scottish highlands last october when the rain didn't even pause for breath; at the end of the day I was completely dry (apart from hands - that's another story) but the same couldn't be said for some of my friends in Goretex. Having sung high praises for Paramo I should add that my new favourite waterproof hat is made of Ventile which is a material worthy of your considderation too!

Nick

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
...Well, after much deliberation and trawling t'interweb, I've gone for a Highlander Rexmoor jacket, which is generally reckoned to be tough and waterproof, but also reasonably light in weight. We shall see...
Oh, it came in at just over fifty quid including p&p, so that's not bad! Seems pretty well thought of on a wildlife watching site I chanced upon during my search.
I was tempted by an Austrian goretex M65 jacket, but couldn't work out what size to get so went for the Highlander.
(Someone's going to say the Highlander's crap now, aren't they..?)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No it's not crap, a lot of folks use it and are very happy doing so.

Outdoor clothing is like everything else kit wise; it ranges from good army surplus to the high end, over priced, target marketed stuff, with a vast range inbetween.

One of the most regularly out there folks I know uses a waterproof jacket from Tesco, and he's really pleased with it. It doesn't even get sweaty inside.
The one I'm using just now is a Trespass one from one of the local garden centres.
Another friend is using double ventile at £350, lovely jacket, my budget won't stretch and I'm not for sewing the stuff.

We like kit, talk about kit, show off kit, advise on bargains :) but we don't look down on kit.

Do a review once you've had a chance to wear it though the Autumn and into Winter and let us know how you got on with it.

cheers,
Toddy

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Ridgeline Monsoon Mk2 smock is superb, four pockets incl. two hand-warmers and bino pocket, tough, quiet fabric (sort of suede/furry), about £120, good colour ("teak" = dark tan), detachable hood, but maybe too heavy for you. Lightweight but tough is going to be hard to achieve.

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/ridgeline-monsoon-euro-ii-waterproof-smock-jacket-7783-p.asp

I have been looking for some reviews on that jacket, but typing in ridgeline i just get lots of stuff about tarp set ups! Know of any reviews?

Sorry to thread jack mick, hope you get on well with the highlander.

bayleaf

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2008
gloucestershire
A bit late on this one....but for no frills goretex,..german army waterproof jacket.I brought mine years ago,and it has done some good service.A very useful stand-by,and relatively inexpensive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE