Good grief ! how much !!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've asked them to send me one to review. Bush hammer baby!!!!!

20Aug201139.jpg

Last edited:

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
A friend of mine was shocked when I told them how much one of my custom knives cost they then asked me this question " why do you want to go and spend that much money on a knife"
My answer was " because I cant afford to spend any more " :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Silly money, especially if, as advertised, you don't actually use it. And if you don't use it what does it matter how sharp it is? If you do use it, does all that super-duper tech really mean that it cuts better than other knives? There is a point where extra sharpness actually isn't significant or useful.

Get a mora. Get a few hundred moras at that price.

Well that's my opinion made clear then... :rolleyes:

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I’m not actually saying that that knife is or isn’t worth the money but I actually don’t think that is a lot of money for a knife.
Me and my pal both go to archery, when I told him I was going to buy a folding knife for over £300 he said that’s a lot of cash for a knife, to which I replied ,you just spent over £500 on a stick. And I’ve seen long bows sell for up to £700, now that’s a lot of money for a stick.
Are any of the bush craft knives worth the money they are asking?
RM woodlore knife £450, you pay your money and you get what you pay for. But that doesn’t necessarily mean you get the quality you’ve hoped you’ve pay for. But personally id rather fork out £450 than waste 50-100 Quid on some of the junk out there, and unfortunately I have done, more than once, the midrange knives are probably biggest gamble out there. I’ve also fell for aesthetics more than once to.
If you just want a high quality razor sharp bit of steel spend 5 or 6 quid on an Opinel fantastic wee knives.
I think buying a Knife is like buying a good Antique’ spend as much as you can afford and get the very best name you can.
Hey if people want to risk their necks on some 30 or 40 pound survival knife be my guest it’s no skin off my nose, but not me.

What would you consider a reasonable price for combat knife? assuming you really needed one.

I spent over £500 on a battle ready sword some years ago, worth every penny, but as soon as I seen it I realised I should have spent the £2000 the first time..
Sorry for the wee rant, but I’m proud to be a knife snob, If I could get back all the money on all the cheep knives I’ve broken or thrown away because they were cr~~p over the years, I could probably afford that 2 grand Sword I fancied..

if you want to save money get a good knife the first time, if you're tight and want to save money get a really good knife.

S&W perfect, but if I had the cash I’ll go for a Korth.

Last edited:

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Bingo!

We are comparing apples and pears. Something like this is aimed at collectors or very, very wealthy users rather than your average bushcrafter. Personally it is not my flavour of knife but I'm not going to criticise someone who wants one and has the money to spend on it. I have knives worth similar amounts so I can't gripe.

Is it 300 times better than a mora? I doubt it but when the price starts climbing you are usually paying for small incremental improvements rather than a simple multiple.

It is interesting to compare this thread with the one on British Blades discussing the same knife. There the tone involves rather more drooling than here.

I’m not actually saying that that knife is or isn’t worth the money but I actually don’t think that is a lot of money for a knife.
Me and my pal both go to archery, when I told him I was going to buy a folding knife for over £300 he said that’s a lot of cash for a knife, to which I replied ,you just spent over £500 on a stick. And I’ve seen long bows sell for up to £700, now that’s a lot of money for a stick.
Are any of the bush craft knives worth the money they are asking?
RM woodlore knife £450, you pay your money and you get what you pay for. But that doesn’t necessarily mean you get the quality you’ve hoped you’ve pay for. But personally id rather fork out £450 than waste 50-100 Quid on some of the junk out there, and unfortunately I have done, more than once, the midrange knives are probably biggest gamble out there. I’ve also fell for aesthetics more than once to.
If you just want a high quality razor sharp bit of steel spend 5 or 6 quid on an Opinel fantastic wee knives.
I think buying a Knife is like buying a good Antique’ spend as much as you can afford and get the very best name you can.
Hey if people want to risk their necks on some 30 or 40 pound survival knife be my guest it’s no skin off my nose, but not me.

What would you consider a reasonable price for combat knife? assuming you really needed one.

I spent £700 on a battle ready sword some years ago, worth every penny, but as soon as I seen it I realised I should have spent the £2000 the first time..
Sorry for the wee rant, but I’m proud to be a knife snob, If I could get back all the money on all the cheep knives I’ve broken or thrown away because they were cr~~p over the years, I could probably afford that 2 grand Sword I fancied..

if you want to save money get a good knife the first time, if you're tight and want to save money get a really good knife.

S&W perfect, but if I had the cash I’ll go for a Korth.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I agree,

Yes a mora is a competent knife but its stamped out of a machine and has a plastic handle glued on.
This knife looks like a hell of a lot of work. Let say it could have taken the maker a month to complete. Thats a month worth of wages PLUS materials, rent, tax, accountants, gas, electric, insurance, advertising, consumables, cleaning shipping and investment. Is it my cup of tea,,,, nope but the "I could buy a 100 moras for that argument is getting a little old."

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
"Any serious collector or user of knives should consider adding a Rockstead to their collection as the art of knife making does not come much better than this. "

Well as a serious user of knives I considered it briefly. Very briefly. I think they're just taking the p1$$.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Ok so as an owner of moras, and a few others, I wonder what would people say are the 'rolls royce' of knives?
I know its subjective, but there must be some that a lot say 'yep thats a quality knife.
Lets forget cost for now, just actual quality of the product.
Hey I can dream can't I ? lol
Alan

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
"

Well as a serious user of knives I considered it briefly. Very briefly. I think they're just taking the p1$$.

That’s not taking the P>>S “well it maybe but” this is taking the P>>S.

I was just watching one of the car programs this morning, car wax £1500 a pot. I couldn’t remember the name so I had a quick look on line and found this Brough &Howarth Definitive car wax £24000 a pot. If you have a Bugatti Veyron in the garage then the £1500 pot probably is the cheep stuff.

About the knife, Love the tsumami ito style tsukamata hilt wrapping but I prefer my tanto’s with a Kamasu kissaki chisel point, I’m also not very keen on the DLC coating and its only £300 more for the polished blade. How much do you think they would charge for a custom blade?

But seriously, only for collectors. And if you can afford it, good on ya.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I think they're exagerating about the claim " This knife will slice paper even after the punishment of beating and cutting dried bamboo for extended periods of time.".........I have bamboo in the garden & it's bluntens any cutting implement within minutes.:)........you dont cut bamboo canes with knives anyway.:confused:......unless they mean splitting them vertically ( batoning) which any knife can do. It would be interesing to see how long the Diamond-like carbon coating would last & if it's that effective but for that price I hope they are real diamonds & not synthetic :rolleyes:

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
“Slice through paper” Hey for that kind of cash I’d want to dice my way through the heaviest dyneema body armour like a paper shredder, for bamboo how about a custom Axe.

.Axe by Cegga.

Here’s my backsword and below is the broadsword I should have ordered, and if I could find a better one for ten times the price I’d want that instead. One can always dream.

Balquhidder Basket, Castle Keep Sword Isle of Skye.

Fortunately the 18 months waiting list gave me the time to save up the cash. I’ll never be able to afford a 2 grand sword but I’m still glad they are being made all the same...After all you don’t have to own it to appreciate the work in it.
Unfortunately the 'rolls royce' of Scottish swords are all about 300 years old now,and not to mention very expensive.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE