Good-bye basecamp insanely pic heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thee title says it all really. I got into the woods today and saw the utter devastation of our camp. Just when it looked like I could start running courses out of it. It looks like at least 50% blow down with at least six trees falling directly across our home. If you look at the photos you may be able to make out my bed tripods, the blue rope from the lean-to the squashed parachute and the gear I was able to recover. If Willow manages to get in over the next couple of years and free stuff up then I will probably be able to reclaim the 'chute and my bed and perhaps some more pots. The good news is that the Storm Lantern, fuel, a couple of the big pots, my Crusader Mug ... and the camp Spork survived! I do not see the site becoming usable again in my lifetime.
From this
016.jpg014.jpg019.jpg021.jpg022.jpg023.jpg045.jpg046.jpg050.jpg052.jpg053.jpg057.jpg058.jpg059.jpg062.jpg064.jpg065.jpg066.jpg067.jpg069.jpg071.jpg
To this
005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg010.jpg011.jpg012.jpg013.jpg014.jpg015.jpg016.jpg017.jpg018.jpg019.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Oh not good John, glad you weren't in there though

Is that where I camped? It looks different and I don't remember the stream?

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
That must be heartbreaking.

Who owns the land? Is there likely to be any clearing and cleaning up possible?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oooh :sigh:

Is access a nightmare ? if you could organise a few work party dates and get a couple of capable people with chainsaws? and everyone else with shovels :rolleyes:

On the other hand, is it not better that they've come down and no one hurt, than they came crashing down when it was busy.

Still a real blow John, and you have our sympathies.

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sorry to see that Mr Fenna,

A real shame but unfortunately the nature of woodland. If I was closer I'd offer to come in with a chainsaw and help clear up but alas I'm miles away.

It was a lovely looking camp too that you'd obviously put your soul into. Try to look on the bright side and think of the improvements you can make though I find once a hole has been blown in a forest especially with soil like that it will get bigger over time. Some judicious thinning may help! (And think of the firewood).

Hope you get up and running again as it's a lovely looking spot.

Sending positive vibes your way!
GB.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Cheers for the sympathy folks - even if the landowner could get in (it is a private forestry company and it took them 4 years to have the tracks in good enough order for them to get in to thin the trees last year and they have hundreds of acres in the same kind of state and all the tracks are blocked) so many trees are down that there would be too few to hang hammocks! I have about £200 worth of kit buried in that game of Jack-Straws!
We are not allowed to cut the timber ourselves as it is a cash crop and needs to go out in commercial lengths...
I have ideas for another site already and will chat to a different land owner/friend/employer tomorrow :)

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We are not allowed to cut the timber ourselves as it is a cash crop and needs to go out in commercial lengths...

That's the show stopper sadly. You and I could shift most of that with a Husqy, a timber jack and a hand winch. - but we would be cutting it up small into manageable lengths.

So, lets have a list of what is buried please John. I have a pile of surplus gear and I know others do too. You are a member "in good standing" and we look after our own here.

Red

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I'm very sorry John. I'm going to my camp this weekend with a sense of trepidation. I hope you can get another site sorted.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks for the offer guys but most of it should (eventually) be recoverable and it is all stuff that I have spares of.
I only left stuff that I was not too worried about losing if some nogoodnicks ever found the place :)
I have seen that a couple of pan lids have found an interest in Origami and my folding chair has taken on some new folds but the 'chute is in a tough bag and seems to be under a smooth section of trunk as it my bed tarp/tube. Some stuff like camp grills were so buried I could not see them but they were pretty bent already....
It is just a case of waiting until the trees are cut away and I can get in - it may be a few years so I am thinking of it as a bushcraft ISA savings account! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE