Going away from green

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
Good Morning All,

I demobbed quite some time ago and, while tidying the basement came to the realisation that most of the kit that I use for bushcraft / camping is a mix of DPM and MTP. While this kit is good for not being seen, and therefore not getting unrequested additional breathing holes, it does feel a bit OTT for a bimble around the woods.

I've got a couple of ideas in mind for projects, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for advice.

Firstly is to dye my MTP smock an olive or brown colour, with all the nice chemical additions will a nylon dye cut it?

Secondly, I keep my tinder box in an old grenade pouch, I'm looking to make a leather belt pouch for it, does anyone know a source of scrap leather?

Thanks,

Ollie

Reactions: TeeDee

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I dyed my DPM smock with black dye. A lot of it washed out but it's a lot darker than original. The Velcro won't dye and being lighter on an MTP smock it might stand out more but worth a try.

For scrap leather, I've made a few projects by dismantling old boots. You can also get thin (although often PU coated) leather from old sofas

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
I dyed a pair of choc chip bdu trousers black which ended up a darkish brown with spots in them. Actually looked ok but not actually black like I was aiming for. Try it and see it could catch on.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I demobbed quite some time ago and, while tidying the basement came to the realisation that most of the kit that I use for bushcraft / camping is a mix of DPM and MTP. While this kit is good for not being seen, and therefore not getting unrequested additional breathing holes, it does feel a bit OTT for a bimble around the woods.

I personally wouldn't let it bother me - most of the time I would prefer to keep a lower radar profile from people anyway.

I think the rule I tend to stick to is " never go double denim " ie , never have the same Camo pattern on top AND bottom. In fact a subdued lower with a camo top or vice versa camo bottoms with a subdued top I think is perfectly acceptable.

Just my thoughts.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That trousers are very good, and as you see so cheap that there is no reason to dye military trousers:

All Solognac clothing I tried was outstanding good for the price. And I tried a lot of it!

That trousers will be available in a few weeks in Britain too. They tried to change the model last year and brought it back for this season. They are very good too:

In post No5 in the following thread I posted some Solognac clothing wich I use.
A few items are only in green available, but the cuts are civil looking. But they sell a lot of stuff in brown too.

Last edited:

Brassandcanvas

May 3, 2020
Norfolk
I’ve moved away from green almost entirely now, but I’m heading towards woodsman rather than bushcraft survival.

I’ve never had much luck dying fabrics, so I don’t bother now. I managed to lighten an old eastern block bag with bleach, but anything else was a disappointment.

As for leather, I’ve had one or two suede waistcoats from charity shops- turn them round and you have lovely soft leather that’s durable and easy to stitch. Made a little slip for my firebox, and cut little lengths to use as temporary cord.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I’ve moved away from green almost entirely now, but I’m heading towards woodsman rather than bushcraft survival.

I’ve never had much luck dying fabrics, so I don’t bother now. I managed to lighten an old eastern block bag with bleach, but anything else was a disappointment.

As for leather, I’ve had one or two suede waistcoats from charity shops- turn them round and you have lovely soft leather that’s durable and easy to stitch. Made a little slip for my firebox, and cut little lengths to use as temporary cord.

There's nothing more 'woodsman' than a suede waistcoat :)

Reactions: SaraR

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
If you just wear the trousers with a solid colour or civilian jacket (or vice versa) you'll just look like all the other ones that got surplus trousers because they are cheap and rugged. I don't think anyone would think twice about it if they saw you like that.

For the dying part: do you have a small pouch or something that you could test it on first?

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
You can dye camouflage patterns to the colour of the darkest spot or darker.
So desert camouflage you can dye brown, woodland camouflage usually only black.

If there is more than 35 % plastic in the fabric, you will get problems to reach good looking results. Bundeswehr camouflage clothing usually has 35 % polyester in it and 65 % cotton, so it works.

People did that when they had been cheaper. Nowadays they usually are too expensive for doing it.

Mulloch

Mar 24, 2019
UK
Most of the Army kit is designed to keep you dry and unless it is really well worn it will repel a dye. Have a look at this, I dont know if it has been dyed black after manufacture or it was a black camouflaged pattern from the start. https://www.nicks-kit.co.uk/british-terrain-pattern---black-84-c.asp
As mentioned the darker patches will get darker if not black and I think it will still look camouflaged.
I would be tempted just to go for new brown or green kit, that decathlon stuff looks like a good deal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE