Glow worms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gail

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2005
Surrey
I was in Devon - Totnes, last weekend and saw a glow worm in a grassy meadow, was gobsmacked as I had only ever seen them in the med before.

Has anyone else seen UK glow worms lately ?

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
Seen one or two around the Chilterns in previous years, but haven't been out much in the woods after dark just recently. :(

Shed loads of them around Sorrento a couple of weeks back - first time my 10 year old son had seen them - even got one to crawl on his hand so he could have a really good look before letting it go on its way.

Gods, I love sharing the wonder. :D

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Penhale Sands down Cornwall/Devon way is normally covered in them this time of year. We used collect enough of them in a glass jar so you could read a book at night (just!). Haven't seen any since moving to Scotland though ....... maybe not enough snails/too cold? :(

You should fire off an email to the guy that runs this website:- Glow Worm Survey UK

As the name suggests he has been compiling data for the last few years on Glow Worm population size/location in the UK. He even has a list (by county) of their locations some times with a grid reference ........ I think one or two people maybe out and about searching tonight :D !

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
WE have them in the garden here, a really pleasant surprise to discover them one warm June evening whilst checking the veg patch :)

Apparently they are becoming quite scarce in the UK. A few things I read about them last year; apparently it is the female Glow Worm (Lampyris noctiluca) who is displaying the light to attract a mate. Also they depend on the right sort of grass cover as they lay there eggs on small snails which live in this type of habitat and the larvae feed feeding on the small snails which they apparently paralyse before sucking them empty.

There is a great little site with lots of info here at the

The UK Glow worm Survey Home Page.

Please take the time to fill in the survey form on the site or email the guy as it is really good work he is doing on these little understood insects. he also has a free online book on the subject or you can buy it from the site here:

Glow-worms by John Tyler

We keep a part of the garden at the top where I do not cut the grass at all until September as a snail sanctuary to encourage the glow worms, and also so I can eat a few of the nice large Bourgoin species which most of my neighbours will be busy collecting after the rains when the season opens. Just fine with garlic butter and a baguette and bottle of vin :D Conservation need not be one way ;)

One thing I would love to see are fireflies.

Gail

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2005
Surrey
Thanks guys - have been into the survey website and will do the honours.

Sure is a beautiful country we live in is it not ! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE