Glencoe winter meet - 13-18th Feb 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Wasn't go to, but as I'm in the car I'll throw them in :)

So my map arrived for the area, where are folk walking too?

Orric

Ta muchley. I fear my walking may be restricted to the pub and easy tracks, feet not up to the proper stuff yet :crutch::vio::sadwavey: but I'll keep the home fires burning for you lot :campfire: she said enviously ... I suspect Magpie will be up for a walk, with hounds!

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I'm not going to make this; usual funding problems despit already having a cheap return bus ticket, Mcr - Glasgow.

If anyone wants to take advantage of this cheap ticket, (bought early Nov. '12 when they were a quid each way) ...

Depart Manchester, Shudehill Interchange on February 15, 2013 9:00 AM arrive Glasgow, Buchanan Bus Station at February 15, 2013 1:25 PM

Depart Glasgow, Buchanan Bus Station on February 19, 2013 1:00 PM arrive Manchester, Shudehill Interchange at February 19, 2013 5:35 PM

Please PM me.

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Magpiewolf and I will be arriving at Red Squirrel on the afternoon of Friday 15 Feb - Magpie first, then she'll come and get me from Fort William station. Is there anything special we should do or just turn up? Is there a special space booked for us? do we just sling our hammocks and start the fire?

And who is coming? Looking fwd to meeting Greensurfingbear and Colin (+Archie?) and Imagedude (I think), and who else?

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Magpiewolf and I will be arriving at Red Squirrel on the afternoon of Friday 15 Feb - Magpie first, then she'll come and get me from Fort William station. Is there anything special we should do or just turn up? Is there a special space booked for us? do we just sling our hammocks and start the fire?

And who is coming? Looking fwd to meeting Greensurfingbear and Colin (+Archie?) and Imagedude (I think), and who else?
I will be there to

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I've not booked a 'special space', I thought it would be easier for everyone to make their own arrangements. There is a reception hut on the way in where you can pay. I will be driving a silver 51 plate Hilux and arriving on Thursday. If there is a chance of snow I may be in a G reg red Landrover 90 station waggon. I'll probably be using my old green Vango Force 10 tent. It shouldn't be too difficult to find each other.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Wasn't go to, but as I'm in the car I'll throw them in :)

So my map arrived for the area, where are folk walking too?

Orric

I'd suggest that we go for a group walk on the Saturday (weather permitting) to the hidden valley (Coire Gabhail). The winter walkers could then carry on up Beinn Fhada. Crampons and ice axes/walking poles may be needed.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/lostvalley.shtml

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4610.0

Last edited:

greensurfingbear

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Hi Elen, best thing for your feet is a cream called Hydropel, i hiked for years and tried everything but nothing ever worked, my feet were always a mess during the walks with blisters etc, then one day i was on a ultralight backpacking site in the states and all these experienced hikers were raving about it, so i bought some and have never had a blister since. It basically goes on a bit like vasaline but dries into your feet quite quickly and then over a few applications toughens your feet up, preventing blisters, it also stops your feet going that horrible way where your feet are like proons, if you apply it a few nights before any walk it works a treat, ive also applied it during extreme treks doing over 40 miles in a day, where blisters are guaranteed and when ive felt them coming on, ive stopped, applied the cream and the blisters have failed to appear. The cream is quite expensive at £19.99 but if youve ever had a blister, then im sure youll know that you would pay £100 for them to disappear lol. Obviously i havent done any scientific experiments into this but for me it has been a god send, so thought i would pass on my knowledge of it in the hope that it helps your feet during walks as its such a great activity......anyway i will catch up with you next week pal.

https://www.expeditionfoods.com/gear/footcare/footcare/hydropel-sports-ointment.html

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Dont be jealous Chris, if you went you'd have to put up with me again mate and im sure that week in the arctic with me was enough for you, especially with you being such a shy, retiring serious individual lol, hope your keeping well mate

Very well buddy, but jealous I am!!
You still doing the End-End some day?
A have a rest day or two with me on Exmoor on your way.
I am 50 next year, looking to do the South West Coast Path in one go, in a bushcraft, wild camping style!
Say hello to Bob for me ( imagedude )
Take care.

Chris.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Very well buddy, but jealous I am!!
You still doing the End-End some day?
A have a rest day or two with me on Exmoor on your way.
I am 50 next year, looking to do the South West Coast Path in one go, in a bushcraft, wild camping style!
Say hello to Bob for me ( imagedude )
Take care.

Chris.

Yeah Chris, still planning to do the end to end, but pulled out last year feeling guilty with the family as my wee boy was just 2 years old at the time, so hopefully he will be old enough to understand what im doing and that i will be gone for only a wee while then i can get it sorted, so i would defo take you up on your exmoor stay over mate. glad to hear your still doing well mate and if you ever want a wee camping trip up to bonnie Scotland then your more than welcome to crash out at mine and i will show you some of our beautiful wild camping areas.

Will defo say hello to Bob, i though i recognised his picture in his avatar

Elen Sentier

Hi Elen, best thing for your feet is a cream called Hydropel, i hiked for years and tried everything but nothing ever worked, my feet were always a mess during the walks with blisters etc, then one day i was on a ultralight backpacking site in the states and all these experienced hikers were raving about it, so i bought some and have never had a blister since. It basically goes on a bit like vasaline but dries into your feet quite quickly and then over a few applications toughens your feet up, preventing blisters, it also stops your feet going that horrible way where your feet are like proons, if you apply it a few nights before any walk it works a treat, ive also applied it during extreme treks doing over 40 miles in a day, where blisters are guaranteed and when ive felt them coming on, ive stopped, applied the cream and the blisters have failed to appear. The cream is quite expensive at £19.99 but if youve ever had a blister, then im sure youll know that you would pay £100 for them to disappear lol. Obviously i havent done any scientific experiments into this but for me it has been a god send, so thought i would pass on my knowledge of it in the hope that it helps your feet during walks as its such a great activity......anyway i will catch up with you next week pal.

https://www.expeditionfoods.com/gear/footcare/footcare/hydropel-sports-ointment.html

Col, just for thrills I'll show you my feet over the camp fire :). Every toe and the sides of both feet have been operated on, the last op was last Oct. Both are still not fully recovered and the left one is bad, may well have to be operated on again in April. The surgeon would have hysterics if I attempted that ledge! and quite rightly. He's climbed the three sisters himself so knows where I'm going. I want to be able to hike again so I dare not risk turning the foot over on that kind of scarmble - anyway it would wreck the walk for you lot and be quite irresponsible of me.

I have made a note of the stuff though for when I can walk again and will need it - come to that I suppose my poor heels might anyway, for the trek up to the Loch, as they've not been able to be walked in boots since last Oct !!! So I will get some, ta muchley, and you bring me some extra too :D. Archie might lick them better for me :lmao:

magpiewolf

Nov 10, 2012
Aberdeenshire
The amount of walking I'll be doing with a 4-month-old whippet pup is not huge! She's really too young for much hill-walking and a couple of miles is plenty - don't want to wreck her tender young joints with over-exercise.

At the moment I'm planning on picking you up at Fort William on my way, Elen - no sense driving the extra 46 miles past and back.

Elen Sentier

The amount of walking I'll be doing with a 4-month-old whippet pup is not huge! She's really too young for much hill-walking and a couple of miles is plenty - don't want to wreck her tender young joints with over-exercise.

At the moment I'm planning on picking you up at Fort William on my way, Elen - no sense driving the extra 46 miles past and back.

That'll do nicely. I get in at 16.09 on the train. Looking fwd to it :)

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Looks like the temperature will be hovering above zero, recent snow will possibly not have consolidated leading to 'interesting' conditions high up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE