Glencoe winter meet - 13-18th Feb 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Last edited:

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Brilliant weekend with the usual suspects , and it was good to meet some new faces ,, Ellen ,Bob , and Sky wolf ...
me and my son Sean and Jason [JAG009] went a great walk up the lost valley ,, whilst Jason was making a brew
i spotted a golden eagle , it was an amazing sight .. cheers ti Bob imagedude for organising the weekend .. till the next one ..

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
It was a pleasure mate ,, i really enjoyed taking the wee guy walk's and playing football with him .. he's a wee cracker
i hope Ross is feeling better bro ...

Elen Sentier

Friday afternoon - Magpiewolf and me arrived at Red Squirrel campsite about 5pm in her big luton van; Magpie drove over from Aberdeenshire, I came up from Hereford on the train. The journey for me was lovely, through the mountains and across the wild Rannoch Moor ...

19 train - Rannoch.jpg21 train.jpg24 train.jpg25 train.jpg26 train.jpg28 train.jpg

When we got to Red Squirrel we found Colin's tipi - wey hey! People! Jason and Ally were hanging nearby and then Bob came over as well.
11 Colin's tipi.jpg Ally kindly organised his tarp to give us all somewhere to sit out, jason got his Hive stove going - excellent, I shall be getting the extension for my Honey - and we stuck our sausages on sticks and cooked them up ... delicious :)

I set up my hammock - first time "in anger" (ie out of the garden :D). They really are comfortable to sleep in although it took me a while to get the hang of the under-quilt but the 2nd night was much more satisfactory. I put an ordinary sleep-mat in the pocket in my DD Travel hammock and found that was good too.
8 Elen's Hammock Glencoe.jpg

Saturday - Magpie and me, and the two young whippets, went for a gentle bimble up to Loch Achtriochan - about 1.5 miles up the road past the Clachaig Inn and just across the A82. I've driven past the loch and the lovely cottage that nestles at the bottom of the Bidean nam Bian several times and always wanted to go there, stop and look, now was the opportunity.
6 Achtiochtan cottage & Bidean nam Bian.jpg4 Achtriochan cottage.jpg3 Achtirochtan cottage.jpg0 Bidean nam Biam.jpg

The Bidean nam Bian is the majestic range of mountains on the south side of Glen Coe. It holds the Three Sisters in one of which is Oisin’s Cave. I couldn’t even think of walking there as my feet are still not good and I can’t wear boots yet.

5 Am Bodach across Loch Achtriochtan.jpg

My latest novel is partly set in the land around Loch Achtriochan so going there was great to be there and I wanted to see the Am Bodach (the Mountain Herdsman) who stands at the far end of the lake - he's important to he story :). while we were by the loch I heard what i thought might be an eagle, very high up over the Am Bodach, later Gaz said he'd seen one as their party walked back from the hidden valley along the ridge. And on our way home we found an antler dropped by a deer a while back - it was a bit greenish and chewed! - it's come home with me and we'll see what it want to be in due course :cool:.

That night we had a trout each, split open with garlic and butter, wrapped in foil and vooked in the embers of the wood-burning stove in Fiona's van.

On Sunday everyone except Bob and us had to go home for work on Monday. Fiona and had a lazy sort of day furtling with hammocks and tarps and different combinations of them. And we played with the dogs - Fiona has a pair of young whippets, 10-month old Wicket the Wicked Whippet (black & white) and 4-month old Rocket (blue brindle … but she often looks pink to me!). She would like both of them to sleep in the hammock with her but they won’t yet, however our afternoon got Rocket to be well happy with the idea.
9 Rocket in Fiona's hammock.jpg10 Wicket & Fiona.jpg13 elen & fiona glencoe.jpg14 Fiona & Rocket.jpg15 Rocket Hammock.jpg

We finished the afernoon with a walk along the river Coe ...
16 Glencoe campsite view.jpg17 Glencoe campsite view.jpg18 Glencoe campsite view.jpg

For supper we had haggis and pigeon breasts - the latter done in foil in the embers again, with butter and garlic. We finished the haggis for breakfast on monday morning :).

Looking forward to hearing (and seeing pictures) of what others did :)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
That looks brilliant Elen. Ironically i was in your part of the world at the weekend which is pretty special, but those views are something else. Spent Saturday walking from Hoarwithy to Ross, lovely, although a little on the muddy side. I must get to that campsite sometime soon.

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Great pics Elen,I see you had a nice lazy last day ,its good to kick back with your feet up , how was your journey back down the road.............

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE