giant wasp like thing.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sophielou10

Aug 18, 2010
england
we found my friends cat play with a large insect.
it was striped like a wasp but over an inche long and as thick as my little finger.
does anyone know what this was?
a large wasp maybe?
or something else?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Doesn't sound like a bee fly to me - hornet seems logical

2853650988_2d441bdd87_z.jpg

Docile things with a bad rep

Sophielou10

Aug 18, 2010
england
i don't think it was a bee fly as in all the photos I've seen it looks furry.
the creature i saw didn't.
I've always known hornets to be the same as hover flies, I'm getting the feeling they are different.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hornets are the work of the devil! sorry, but seriously think of a hornet as a predator of wasps, bigger stronger but quite similar in apperance, what you have described does seem to fit the bill.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
I have no idea how thick your fingers are.
If like mine then hornet...if like my better half's then Queen wasp.
That would be my guess based on info

Do Queen wasps leave the nest now to hunker down until next year or should they be a bit later?

dog's and cats are funny things...why they have to try and catch stingy flying things is beyond my grasp!

Sophielou10

Aug 18, 2010
england
Is the only defining factor size.
do they look the same?
because when I saw it I didn't think what a big wasp, i thought what is that.
so I conclude that their must have been something about it for me to think, that must be a creature I don't know.
if you get my drift.
when my brain saw it thought hmm that is not a wasp.
but you know my brain could be wrong.
I'm rambling now.

Sophie

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
wasp
wasp.jpg

Hornet
hornet.jpg

some good info here, might help to make a positive id.

a wsp will be around 1>3 cm long, where as the hornet is between 1>1 1/2 inches.

EDIT:give a sec i'll sort my post out sorry. sorted.

Last edited:

Sophielou10

Aug 18, 2010
england
i think i put my finger on it the dark parts were more brown than black. i think it was a hornet.
thanks for all your help.
especially Southey and British red.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Can I just reiterate what Red said about them being docile. They are threatened in many areas because irrational people try to eliminate their nests. In my encounters with these (I found one inside my glove once) they have always proved more anxious to get away than to attack. Watch and learn, don't destroy them out of ignorant fear.

Z

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Never once seen a hornet, never. seen plenty of wop's and all sorts of bumbles and honey bee's but never a hornet.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Up my local mountains I've seen hornets and they're scary little things, One almost flew in the window if the car that I was in (Defender window close so slowly :p)
The other day a hornet or large fly type thing flew into my large glass back door, they can make a large sound as they bounce off the glass :)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Hornets might be docile so the huge inch long wasps we used to see on holiday in France that were agressive and more likely to sting than normal sized wasps weren't really hornets like I was told at the time.

I'm afraid that I don't like wasps or hornets. Might have something to do with one flying behind my glasses when I was on holiday as a young kid (about 7ish I think). I did the right thing and stood still not moving but like wasps that go mad in thee windows trying to get out the wasp behind my glasses did that. I'm not afraid of them, even stupidly not afraid of them as I have picked up a wasp nest a few years after that on cub camp and threw it away. Well it was in the lea of a fallen tree that had made the perfect start to a natural shelter that we were expected to make without any instruction. Afterall back then cubs and scout leaders were just someone's parents who knew nothing themselves. You should have seen them teaching us to make and light fires!! I kid you not they used firelighters. Like you can find them in the woods when you need them. Spar own brand is found under every dead standing in nature doesn't it.

Sorry off topic but I'd have said at that size and colouring I'd say hornet first but what do I know. There are others who know a lot more on here. did the cat get stung?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE