Giant Kill Rock!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
actually that meteorite came from a completely different direction and is unrelated to the near miss tonight

Yeah I know wattsy, I heard about the meteorite shower early this morning on Radio 4 whilst attending to my ablutions but as they cunningly followed the report by talking about the 'rock' & as I was only half listening I kinda made an amalgam.............please forgive me, hope it didn't spoil ya day. :D

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Anyone see it?

Nope. Ninety-five percent cloud cover until midnight then clear as a bell. :banghead:

Even with my 11x80s I only saw three or four of the stars in Ursa Major -- and not all at the same time. Looking on the, er, bright side, if it had been half an hour later it woud probably have hit Australia. :)

The Russians are claiming that yesterdays meteor strike was a US weapon test :D

Are they saying if it was a success?

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Even with a high powered observatory telescope all you would see is a very small dull speck, smaller & duller than the smallest & dullest of stars.
1833690_3_c305_l-asteroide-2012-da-14-entoure-par-un-cercle_750192dc15b9d8fa0d0ff6d0dd97878f.jpg

Had clear skies last night & I was out from 20.30 to 21.00 (French time)armed with a pair of 12x bins & a camera set on video mode...................Just in case.:D
The only things moving in the night sky were flickering aircraft lights...............the moon didn't help either.

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-says-meteor-was-actually-a-u-s-weapons-test/
http://www.ibtimes.com/russian-mete...n-nationalist-politician-vladimir-zhirinovsky
Nope. Ninety-five percent cloud cover until midnight then clear as a bell. :banghead:

Even with my 11x80s I only saw three or four of the stars in Ursa Major -- and not all at the same time. Looking on the, er, bright side, if it had been half an hour later it woud probably have hit Australia. :)

Are they saying if it was a success?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE