ghillie, storm or kelly kettle??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I was looking into getting a kelly as i've been told they are the original and have good service. I'm not a fan of carrying loads with me unless i'm camping properly..and often i'm not, so i'd like to know weither the other makes/models are smaller or take up less standard backpack room? cheers fellas

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I was looking into getting a kelly as i've been told they are the original and have good service. I'm not a fan of carrying loads with me unless i'm camping properly..and often i'm not, so i'd like to know weither the other makes/models are smaller or take up less standard backpack room? cheers fellas

They're all a bit bulky I'm afraid. You can carry water in them if you take a bit of trouble to stop it getting out, but I don't usually do that. They win hands down for boiling a lot of water fast using fuel that you can pick up almost anywhere. What they do they do very well but that's all they do. I don't know if there's a lot to choose between the various brands although I've seen mixed reports about one of the more recent entries into the market. I'd recommend that you find someone who has one and watch it in action.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
I've got the big & small Kelly & wouldn't be without one of them. Small for solo jobs & big un for when SWMBO comes with me. I like em cos even campsites that don't allow fires are OK with them & cos they're quick.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
They're all a bit bulky I'm afraid. You can carry water in them if you take a bit of trouble to stop it getting out, but I don't usually do that. They win hands down for boiling a lot of water fast using fuel that you can pick up almost anywhere. What they do they do very well but that's all they do. I don't know if there's a lot to choose between the various brands although I've seen mixed reports about one of the more recent entries into the market. I'd recommend that you find someone who has one and watch it in action.

hmm..i bulks a pain for me..unfortunately i don't know any outdoorsman anymore and my local outdoor shop didnt have any (i was the second person to ever ask apparently). I'll do some more research into easily fueled cookers.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
You CAN cook on the big one. Granted, not a huge amount. I've done bangers, beans & suchlike & but wouldn't take it for it's cooking functions. You take them because you just have to. Iconic bit of kit - bugger practicality I say.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I did a review on the storm kettle, i think last year, over on sotp. I was sent the kettle by the makers & told i could keep it. it was the 1ltr model. They are not for me, i find them to much faff, they work well, but..I prefer a reasonable size wood burner i find it more flexible.

I did'nt keep it by the way i passed it on.

Rob

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Now got both sizes and super fast to brew up on while waiting for the communal pot to boil, etc. I use the bigger one more as it boils in about the same time with very little fuel. I've also put it on a grill over the fire and it works well ;)

digitracker

Mar 29, 2012
Leeds
I have a large kelly kettle, had it about 10 years and have no problems regarding leakages. The only downside is they are bulky, so I tend to only use it when I do overnight fishing tips. I use a honey stove or a wild woodgas stove when backpacking, much more versatile for my needs.

Jackdaw

I have the Ghillie Explorer. It suits my purposes for drinks but I am probably going to upgrade to a larger model. It might not be a Ghillie because it depends on size. However, I really like the whistle as I can leave it whilst pitching the tent or other task without worrying about it boiling over.

Jack

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I'm more than happy with my storm f1. Great for a quick brew. I stash my coffee down the chimney, and keep a trangia in the base.
vupu6upe.jpg

u2e4yga2.jpg

2enamu9u.jpg

touched by nature

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE