Chimney kettle - Have you or has anyone else made one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
Hi all

Please let me know if there's already a thread here on this because I did use the search feature for Kelly and Storm Kettle and only found threads on people discussing them.

I'm wondering whether anyone has tried to make one. The first obvious concerns are being able to produce the inner and outer skins, and then how to join them in a waterproof way that is safe even when heated.

And that made me wonder whether there might exist a design that folds flat and has 4, 6, 8 sides rather than being round.

Any thoughts?

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Thought about it but by the time you get the stainless or alloy in then Tig weld it (which is better than Mig for this job IMHO) it was very uneconomical :(. Then my middle daughter bought me one :35: for my birthday. It was when Lurch had his storm damaged stock in after the floods ~(sorry about that Lurch:()

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Tinplate or copper, solder and a heatsource. No I haven't made one, but the joints shoud be kept at no more than 100 degrees, so long as there's water in it.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Take a look at the Blog of Devin Montgomery, he wanted an ultralight Chimney Kettle, so he designed one, then taught himself how to produce them for all of us that also want one.

Devin's Blog, here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE