ghillie, storm or kelly kettle??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
any thoughts or preferences?

if you dont like these, i respect your views but please dont slag them off here as they suit my purposes

i am going to purchase one and have no idea if they are all much of a muchness or whether there are preferences?

i have searched the first 10 pages of posts in kit chatter and stuck it in the search box but cant find a similar post easily, please forgive me if this is a question thats been aired before

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I have a large Eydon and a small 1pt Ghillie. I think both are great. The ghillie feels better quality than the eydon but I've had the eydon for years and it is still going strong so I have no issues with the quality of it.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have the 1pt ghillie in Alloy and the 3pt in stainless. Both very capable. I take the 1pt out and the 3pt lives in the van :D

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
i have searched the first 10 pages of posts in kit chatter and stuck it in the search box but cant find a similar post easily, please forgive me if this is a question thats been aired before

Try a search like this:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=+ghillie++kelly+site:bushcraftuk.com&go=&form=QBLH&filt=all&qs=n&sk=

I have a 3 pint aluminium Ghillie, I like it a lot. Great for making gallons of hot water quickly. Apart from a burn on the back of my hand I've had no problems with it except that the knob fell off the whistle very quickly, but it's only a screw and a threaded knob. Trouble is it's a small screw and I never found the original so I replaced it with one from the bits box. If buying again I'd definitely get the stainless one, more capacity for about the same bulk, and less risk of burning through the kettle if you don't fill it full every time (which you really must do with the aluminium ones).

I've been thinking about making one, there are several improvements that I would like to make.

Use only smallish twigs, at first I used too much fuel and the boil was much too fast and furious.

PS: I can't see the sense in the cooking attachments they sell for these things. I wouldn't bother trying to cook on one, the water would boil long before the food was warm. You can't really leave the kettle on the fire to keep the water boiling, as it jumps out, fills the fire tray with water and almost puts the fire out.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2010
Ireland
Hi Folks,
Just noticed the post and wanted to clarify:

a) The Kelly Kettle Company are the only company that have Stainless Steel Kettles available - in 2 sizes, 3 Pint & 1 Pint versionss . No other company provides stainless steel version or bespoke stainless steel cook sets.

b) All Kelly Kettles are covered by a 2yr warranty.
Any faulty item e.g. such as faulty aluminum which you describe Wedgie, would always be replaced and covered by the company. We have no outstanding customer service or quality issues so, I can only assume that you have not contacted us yet regarding your kettle. Please contact us directly through our website www.kellykettle.com so that we can arrange a replacement for your faulty item. We may need you to e-mail us some pics. etc. as the problem you describe is extremely rare so we would be keen to see what may be causing it.

c) One company does not make all these type kettles.
The Kelly Kettle company is in its 4th Generation. Our kettles have been copied over recent years (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery) yet we continue to be inventive and are first to bring you bespoke cook sets, a pot-support for cooking over the chimney, stainless steel kettles and cook sets. We also have some exciting new, yet simple, bespoke products in the advanced design stage which will be launched this summer.

It hope that this information has been useful to readers.
Kind regards,

Last edited:

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
The above post is a very fair one and generous I'd say.
I have the Kelly one, a good piece of kit if you have room for it.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
hmmmmm...... bit like heinz making own brand baked beans then ( or so is the rumour, ive yet to find any that taste the same) so are you suggesting they are all the same quality?

I was ...But just to be fair as kelly kettles has said I don't think they make the stainless steel ones as they came out after my dealing's with Gillie. I was refering to the Alloy ones :)

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I have had my first (large) Kelly for 17yrs now and barring the cork wearing a little its still great. Just got the 1.75pt version now for carrying, used the first time on Sunday. Kellys for me but having seen a Ghillie I would not say it was any better or worse

greensurfingbear

I use a Kelly kettle at work. Bought the larger model as it lives on my 4x4 or in my office. The only down side its that it has a few dings being made from aluminium. I've lost the cork but seeing as I keep the kettle in a wee bag its not a problem. Think they are, all pretty much the same when it comes to boil time so I guess it comes down to what metal you want it made from, size, and how much you want to pay.

Mike

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i want one but i was dissapointed that you cant store water in them. If they made one with a sealable chamber so you can carry your water in it then i would get one as i see no point in having to carry it and water as well. The swiss volcano stove for now suits my needs in this respect, i understand there may be a danger of people trying to boil it with the seal (tight bung or similar in) but until they can be used to carry the water you need they remain a bit bulky to me... in respect to the cooking kits i agree the top boiler part is silly but the grill bars and a pan after you have brewed up should work out alright..

greensurfingbear

c1238423-aad0-c9a7.jpg

my hard working Kelly kettle. Battered bruised & corkless but still serving up cracking cups of tea for the Rangers in the woods.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
i want one but i was dissapointed that you cant store water in them. If they made one with a sealable chamber so you can carry your water in it then i would get one as i see no point in having to carry it and water as well. The swiss volcano stove for now suits my needs in this respect, i understand there may be a danger of people trying to boil it with the seal (tight bung or similar in) but until they can be used to carry the water you need they remain a bit bulky to me... in respect to the cooking kits i agree the top boiler part is silly but the grill bars and a pan after you have brewed up should work out alright..
???????????
I've got a 1pt Kelly and the water is sealed in with the cork.
I've used the Kelly loads of times but if more than one person needs a cuppa your snookered as if its full it boils over and puts the fire out.
I have refilled it but loose the fire in between fills as well.
Must get the bigger one. The Gillie sounds good as it has a whistle on it instead of the cork.
Also boils in seconds on twigs. It starts to sing as soon as the twigs catch off the tinder

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE