Ghille or Kelly Kettle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
In a bit of a pickle... I want something to make a brew on the go without using a gas cooker, and I liked the look of the Kelly Kettle and was about to go and buy one.

The Ghille kettle was mentioned and after a quick search I found....

ghille.jpg

£73 for all of that :yikes:

Has anyone tried both, or do you have a particular opinion or benefit for one or the other?

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Love my Ghille, got the 1.9, loads of hot water little effort. Got but never used the fire vent stand. The pot is a quality one and have used it with the 2 piece grid and fire bowl after making hot water but the lid has no handle. It is a quality built set up that will last me for years. Would say the kettle is fantastic, the extras good. The whistle was the deal breaker for me over the kelly kettle. Lot handier then you would think in practise.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Have you looked at Storm Kettles I have the F1 (500ml) anodised one and won't leave home without it, really nice company to deal with too.

Disclaimer:- I was one of those who helped test the prototype F1 but have no affiliation with them other than that.

​Rob.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
They are much of a muchness imo, whistle is a nice touch, the little stands look good if they work
don't think that one you linked to will replace your gas stove. Food cooking can be done, but they aint great for it

oh and dont discount the little ones if all you want is a solo brew up. I got my dad a little half pint "m kettle" i think it was.....right dandy lil thing :D

Last edited:

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I've got a different brand from Czech Rep. with a whistle too, and have used it all the time this summer instead of gas for a brew up. Fantastic kit for quick hot water.. mine is a 1.2l model and heats in just over 5 mins. My gas stove gets used a lot less I'm still on my first small gas canister since April.

I've got several accesories, pans grills etc, that just happen to be the right size for it, but to be honest for cooking food it doesn't really work very well.

If you need to keep stuff simmering ie for pasta or rice, then the water boils too fast and you need to carry a lot of water too. The stand for the top is very wobbly , wouldn't want a big pan on it.. and the base is too small to really be any use as a grill.

If I need to cook on anyting other than a small BBQ, I'll go back to gas or if I'm in the car my Coleman double burner.

Still wouldn't be without my wood burner kettle though.

cheers

Gareth

Hi i have the Large Base camp KK

I love the thing, It lives in the car, literally.

I cant tell you how many times its been used, either on the side of a road in a car park, wherever there are enough twigs
It's the best water boiler I've tried, it boils the same amount of water as my kettle in the kitchen in exactly the same time (Once its filled with dry wood and birch bark)

I have the pan and top cooker attachment and I've cooked all sorts or rather tried to.
As a water boiler there's nothing much better out there, To cook food that doesn't require water it's not that good, although the hobo stove attachment does make it better, its still only ranks as "it will do in a pinch" but remember its primary role is to boil water and it excels at it, everything else is just a bonus really.

If your after only boiling up a single brew I'd recommend staying away from the Ghille Kettle and the Kelly Kettle, while they are small they are bulky and have spouts and handles that sick out, the MKettle is nice, sleek and compact, but only boils about 500ml

Here is a link to it.

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/mkettle-sas-ultra-light---hard-anodised-variant-7967-p.asp

Its to small for my needs, but my brother has one and its perfect for him

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I have the `down under` version, the Australian Eco Billy. It comes in two sizes, 700mls and 1.5 lts.
I have the small one. Weighs 600g. Stainless steel with fold out handles. boils water very fast. It has no fire tray however so I use a shallow tin underneath as a fire tray/ash pan.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
If this is right

http://www.wilsonandco.co.nz/thermette/

The Thermette is being made in NZ again. I can't comment directly on the Chinese version as mine predates the change and was picked up by a mate in NZ from the factory as part of a elaborate kit swap but I've heard that they had serious quality control issues.

ive a KK and a early version of the Eco and use neither as I've found the copper thermette to be superior to both.

I've never had a problem with the bulk as it fits nicely into a plce Bergan (or big Berghaus) side pouch I've padded out with carry mat and I can strap that to the top or side of any bag I'm using. Best of all it slips nicely into one of the Zebra Billy's, The 16cm with a wire hamdle in my case, with the cooking top on top of the hearth that fits on with about 1/2 a inch spare all round. The whole lot then fits in side the pouch minus the padding.

ATB

Tom

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
More options than I can shake a stick at now! Blimey!

I am very tempted with that Ghille setup... what I didn't mention is that I do go outdoors with my eldest with hammocks and all, and we (as a family) go glamping, but again, rely on a gas stove every time we want a cuppa or a hot chocolate. Be nice to have an all-round bit of kit like the Ghille, but when you guys say they're not good for cooking on... I can heat up some noodles or cook a slice of bacon or two on them can't I?

Trip I'm planning, might be better with the smaller variety of kit, so it could end up I buy both... I want to get out there alone for a bit. Gather my thoughts sort of speak.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
How about a fried egg? I do like a fried egg... I was figuring I could fry and egg, shove a piece of bacon on, maybe heat some beans, few mushrooms.... bit of black pudding and white pudding. I'll forgo the sausage and the toast... but the essentials... breakfast is afterall the most important meal of the day. All day.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'v not tried to cook on mine for years but from memory the base doesnt burn fantastically well without the draw provided by the kettle part.
I s'pose if you were to drop some decent sized sticks in while the kettle part was still on top to get them going it would do a fair breakfast

Or
What i'v used my KK for mostly is constant hot water in base camp. Chuck three or four BBQ briquettes in there and it keeps water hot for hours....cant think of any reason you couldn't do that for breakfast duty as well

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Dewi a square sausage makes breakfast with a potato scone too. I use a small frying pan over the fire base once the kettles boiled.

Mmmm... not had that since I worked in Stranraer... that was a tasty breakfast!

So its doable breakfast wise Sunndog?

Have to say... spoilt for choice. Leaning towards the Ghille.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Isn't their a cross piece that fits in the chimney to allow cooking while boiling water? Have seen them used but they came out years after I got my kettle. Only thing is they look a bit easy to topple over.
With practice you can cook a big breakfast in a wee pan. I've cooked on the base section but it's better used as a water boiler and use a campfire for breakie. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Frying an Egg on the KK is not only OK but its perfect, and you can grill Bacon to as long as they are not long rashes
but forget about sausages/

I Keep my Base camp KK in a PLCE Side pouch, and its perfect for me and mine (2x Adults 3x Kids)
There is enough room in the pan for a fire kit

I have added the Hobo Stove attachment which does make a difference, I was going to add the KK Mugs so i had a complete kit, but i cant justify the price, as i've already got some great travel mugs from Costco

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
I recently bought a Kelly Kettle (scout model) after years of having mixed thoughts about them. The thing that swayed it for me was them being available in Stainless Steel. So far I've only used to brew up a few times, but I have been very impressed. I have the Hobo stove for it and it does turn the base into a viable stove for simple meals.

I have a number of gas and petrol stoves, and each design has it strengths and weaknesses. The Kelly Kettle is perhaps best considered a great all rounder when weight and bulk is not a critical issue. The other thing about the Kelly Kettle is that it is plain fun to use and is one of those bits of kit that brings a smile to your face as you use it...

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Just done a second burn with my KK and the hobo stove and pan set i have just added - a reasonable price and good service from the KK website. I made tea and Toulouse sausage sarnies as brunch for the two of us in the back garden, as a test. I will post more about it later, but it worked well, you just need to make sure that when the water is boiled to add some bigger wood to the fire to make good embers to cook on.

I had decided againt the flue pot holder as it seemed a little unsafe, and in any case the hobo stove and pot set fits inside the KK for storage/carriage. So its all good :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE