Proper use of a Kelly Kettle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rockfarm

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2021
Costa Rica
youtube.com
Last year I bought the smallest version of the Kelly Kettle in stainless steel. I really enjoy using it and think the idea is ingenious! However it seems that my kettle puts out an inordinate amount of smoke during use. As a firefighter (retired) I understand that is a product of incomplete combustion and that it's definitely my fault. Could any of you kind folks point me in the general direction of a video showing the proper use and feeding of a Kelly Kettle for maximum efficiency?

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Small, dry stuff is what you need. The kind of thing you'd normally ignore or sweep out of the way. Pine cones are excellent, pine needles, small twigs - pencil thickness, birch bark etc. The smaller it is the more easily it will dry and quicker it will burn. You can fill the flue right up with such material and hopefully it'll have burnt down by the time the water has boiled so it doesn't spill embers everywhere when you lift the kettle.

This is the video that inspired me to get a Kelly Kettle

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mine got a lot of use for a while. Best advice, get the fire going well in the base before you put the kettle on top, and feed small stuff that'll burn up and not jam in the inner column when the kettle boils......and mind and pull the bung out !
Think ahead and use the glowing embers in the base for something else too once the kettle's boiled. Pretty sound for toasting teacakes/hot cross buns to go with the tea :) or even just getting a pot of soup up to the simmer. Does a good fry up as well.

Mine was much used to make lunch for four of us. Did it all really.

Edit; should have said. It works fine without the base, just you need to find a kind of stony bit to set it up, something that won't mind a few hot embers.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
What's the advantage of this kettle compared to a usual pot with bail?

Is it mainly that you don't need to make a tripod?

Maxsdad

Feb 22, 2015
Morpeth
I have one but to be fair found it limited in its use. It was great for boiling water if that's all I wanted to do . But equally a pot would do the same job ( admittedly it would take slightly longer)but had so many other options. I see it personally as a bit of a one trick pony- great for boiling water quickly in small quantities but limited for much else !

Reactions: Erbswurst

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

It's an easy to use all in one set up. It doesn't need any fussing.

The kettle itself is easy to carry, it's clean because all the soot (not that there's a lot, it kind of burns itself pretty clean, is inside the central column and not where you'll touch it or brush it agin any other bit of kit..
It boils up water really quickly, and cleanly. It'll do it on one newspaper's worth of fuel.
It can also be used to safely carry the water too. No slopping around, no need for plastic carrier bottles.
Mine will make a brew up for eight folks :)

The base creates an entire other cooking set up, or just a warm heat for folks to huddle around while drinking their tea when it's perishing cold.
The base means that the ground is clean after I'm done, no fire scar, if I set up properly.
It will also easily take a frying pan, for the fry up to go inside the rolls that we had with our tea/coffee. Or it'll quietly sit there hot enough to toast the bread/whatever, or even just simmer soup.
I have fishing friends who take one with them, and they fry up brown trout from the loch or fresh mackeral from the sea on the grill over the base. Spatchcocked 'roadkill' pheasant works too that way.

I don't have the fitting that goes into the top of the chimney, but folks who do think it excellent to be able to use the 'waste' heat to boil up something else while it's heating the water.....boil in the bag meals for instance.

It's a practical bit of kit for folks who are working outdoors, or for those like the fishermen who want an easy option to use on the river bank or foreshore.

I was told that the old navvies used them, thought them pretty much essential, but then those men lived on tea.....and bacon rolls :)

Either way, it's a good thing, learn to use it, don't abuse it, and it'll last for years. Mine's now near twenty years old, and looking used, but still very sound :D

Rockfarm

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2021
Costa Rica
youtube.com

For me it's just that it's simple. Easy to boil water, easy to get a fire because of the draft. I have the hobo stove attachment so when the waters done I can put the skillet right on a hot little fire. I really can't say it's better than this or that but I have been very happy using it. It's kinda like my Hennessy hammock, WSK or Romanian Rucksack...they work wonderful for my way of camping but others mileage may vary. If you're ever in Costa Rica, we will have to take it for a spin!

Reactions: Erbswurst and Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The concept is energy transfer efficiency IMO. The very large surface area of the kettle being heated by the flame going up the chimney means it does boil much quicker.

I have to say though that videos like that one in post #2 really do it a disservice; I have never used a fire as big as that on mine and a very small kindling fire will boil water in no time. Using a fire the size shown in the video completely defeats the purpose as far as I'm concerned.

Having said all that, mine stays at home these days :(

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Mine predominantly stays at home, but it gets the odd outing. I used it quite a bit when we had a power cut (didn’t have any camping gas in stock!) for boiling a bunch of water quite quickly. I also like it with my nephew, we practise fire lighting and use the KK (I actually have a ghillie kettle)

I like it for the simple reason That I like a fire occasionally and the smell of smoke etc

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think that's a really good point; it doesn't need anything 'special' for it to work really effectively. No gas, no gel or tablets, just something (anything !) consumable.
I know an Indian fellow who says his Grandpa got one and he uses dried cow dung to heat his. I know that that's a traditional fuel in dry pasture areas.

Here, just what's around and available works fine. Even dry seaweed or grasses.

M

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I think that's a really good point; it doesn't need anything 'special' for it to work really effectively. No gas, no gel or tablets, just something (anything !) consumable.
I know an Indian fellow who says his Grandpa got one and he uses dried cow dung to heat his. I know that that's a traditional fuel in dry pasture areas.

Here, just what's around and available works fine. Even dry seaweed or grasses.

M

Dried sheep poo works quite well

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It should burn like a small jet, i put pine cones in it for instance and they do well. But make sure everything you put in is dry!
:)
Just, not dried reedmace heads.....trust me on this, I know the duo who did so, inside a small marquee :rolleyes:
The mess is unbelievable :)
They sort of catch, expand, go whoosh and in moments the entire area is blanketed with the blasted stuff.
The others of us in the tent just stood there in complete and utter disbelief as Summer turned into a fake snowscene in seconds.
Aye, fun days :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The concept is energy transfer efficiency IMO. The very large surface area of the kettle being heated by the flame going up the chimney means it does boil much quicker.

I have to say though that videos like that one in post #2 really do it a disservice; I have never used a fire as big as that on mine and a very small kindling fire will boil water in no time. Using a fire the size shown in the video completely defeats the purpose as far as I'm concerned.

Having said all that, mine stays at home these days :(

This.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Isn't it protected in Britain?

Reedmace ?

There are acres upon acres of the stuff around. It grows quite happily in a garden pond, or even a bucket.
I had a bucket load that I took along (drained down for transport) to demonstrations for a while.

Useful stuff, it's food, it's basketry material, it's kindling...yes even the heads, just don't pop them into a hot kelly kettle chimney thinking they'll do as fuel.

M

Reactions: Ira and Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Reedmace is protected in Germany.
But I am unsure if they really mean the plants or rather the birds that live in it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE