Proper use of a Kelly Kettle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yes, of course, you aren't allowed to hurt the plant, but the question is: "Why?"

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Oh! No!

I looked it up now and found, that it is a common error in Germany to assume that it is especially protected!
(Generally all wild plants are more or less protected nevertheless, but that's something different.)

Very often are the areas where they grow protected and the birds that live in there but usually not the plant itself.

I guess, that it's protected in Berlin because here it's rare. I guess that I have learned it regarding the circumstances in West Berlin.

Thank you very much!

I'll ask for recipes next summer...

Last edited:
Reactions: Rockfarm

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Basically just roast the cleaned root and suck the starchy stuff off the fibres.
You can use the fresh growing stems a bit like bamboo shoot too.
You can also make a kind of papyrus paper using those fresh stems as well.

Thing is too, that usually the overwintering reedmace hangs onto dried leaves that flutter in the wind.....at times they're dry tinder in an otherwise sodden wet climate and thus useful :)

Reactions: Ira and Erbswurst

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
TLM. I have the Thermette NZ kettle it was patented in 1930. Some people argue that it was the forerunner of all the others.
I also have the Australian Eco Billy, it is a stainless steel version.

Reactions: Ira and Toddy

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Last year I bought the smallest version of the Kelly Kettle in stainless steel. I really enjoy using it and think the idea is ingenious! However it seems that my kettle puts out an inordinate amount of smoke during use. As a firefighter (retired) I understand that is a product of incomplete combustion and that it's definitely my fault. Could any of you kind folks point me in the general direction of a video showing the proper use and feeding of a Kelly Kettle for maximum efficiency?
Hi i am a little late to the party but i will say i use old pallet wood i cut it to 4 inch log bits and keep a largish bag with the kettle but what i do also do is make my own fatwood the reason for that is pop a couple of sticks in the pan base and light wait a minute or 2 and begin feeding whatever you have as i say pallet wood is great i did find i used some pine sticks and yup you guessed right you get a lot of the stickiness in the pan base but hey some turps when home it cleans out .
I am also toying with useing a Trangia burner in there with ethanol fuel rather than meths or parafin as i was told it burns hotter we shall see

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Small twigs and keep the fire small as it will roar up the chimney anyway. I tend to feed through the base pan air hole as sticking stuff down the chimney can result in burning sticks falling out when you remove the kettle.
That's how I use mine, but it is tempting to stuff twigs down the chimney. And I do it sometimes, but make sure its realy small stuff, about finger length.
I love my Kelly, often quicker than a gas stove, and I have the pan set that goes with it, consisting of a two piece grill rack, and a pan with grippy handle, plus I bought a stand to keep it off the ground..can't remember where I'm afraid, and a pan rest for the top., so an army ration can be heated while you are heating water for a brew, and simple meals such as soup or egg and bacon or beans can be cooked on the base.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I’m new here so I may be repeating stuff.
A solo camper I use the KK Trekker (smallest) whenever I am allowed. Otherwise I use a Svea M40. (Swedish Army Trangia). When I’ve been tired or it really is raining hard I’ve used the military version of the Trangia burner (125ml) inside my Trekker. Not the best use of fuel but easy!

Yes it’s very much quicker than a simple pot, but who cares about minutes when you are camping!
No the pot that comes with it in the kit isn’t much use except to keep your mug clean when you store it inside the fire base. I also keep a tinder box inside the mug inside the pot inside the Trekker. :)

The leaflet says point the fire vent into the wind when you have a fire going. I am a maker of whistles and NA flutes so:
Turn the fire vent across the wind but slightly into it until the kettle “flutes”. You will get a beautifully hot vortex up the sides of the chimney.
I can’t post pictures here yet but look at my avatar pic for a view of a Trekker on song. Four minutes cold to boil tops in those conditions.

I’ve used this tool for many years and was even involved in discussions with Patrick Kelly as he was developing the Hobo stove. I still have my prototypes somewhere. It makes the KK into a very effective cooker. The chimney support is OK if you’ve planned a quick cook (Eggs or porridge etc) carefully in advance - but you’ve only got about four minutes!

Sorry, I could say so much more about running this little gem but first and foremost, like any tool, it needs just a bit of practice to use it effectively.

Last edited:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Depends where I am but one I like is the dead sections from the inside of a gorse bush, cut with secateurs.
Sometimes a bit smokier than I would like but it doesn't half go some.

Reactions: Toddy

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Secateurs! Now you’re talking! Essential piece of kit to go with a Kelly Kettle. Simplest way to cut the right sized twiggery for fuel.
I also use them to split slivers off a conventional domestic log, about 220mm long. I leave some long and cross cut some to about 60mm. I start it with the short stuff, drop a few long ones down the chimney. If I’m going to keep it going after I’ve boiled water I’ll use more short bits. Otherwise I can judge how much longer wood will burn down without dropping too many embers when I lift off. It’s just experience.

Yes indeed dead ivy and gorse burn quick and hot. There is a lot to say about different woods in your kettle.

I use pound shop secs not good ones.

Reactions: Toddy

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
How long a history does KK have?
The Kelly Company had been around for decades. I recall a old film of King Charles ( still not used to that) with Phillip and Andrew using one as a boy.
The actual design is Irish and the Website tells it better than I can.
My great grandmother had one in copper made by the tinkers.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Well KK is the current maker and IMO the best on the market. Who
Ever came up with it Thankyou- and a bigger Thankyou to KK. Surplus comes and goes, the current Azerbaijani pressure cookers aka Afghan are nice and next week another knife will have us all spellbound.
Me? I love the proven, familiar and
classic kit.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
@Kav
I totally agree about the Kelly Kettle.
I’ma dedicated user of both Kelly Kettle and Opinel. They are both firms that were set up at the turn of the 19th century. They are both family firms and their stated ethos are similar.
KK has set up associations with a number of other manufacturers (such as Lightmyfire) and I’ve written to Patrick Kelly suggesting that they should at least talk to Opinel. I said the same to Opinel when I asked for a new ferrocerium for my Explore. KK don’t move very fast. It took more than three years to get the Hobo into production.

A couple of years ago Patrick Kelly said he was thinking of a better cooking pot for the kettle. It is a weak point, especially for the little Trekker. In the meantime I think I’ve found something that works. I’m still working on it. Maybe more later.

Both KK and Opinel are very approachable.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE