Getting your Jerky on with a food dehydrator (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Wow i want a chunk of

[h=1]Chateaubriand[/h]
chateaubriand.jpg

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I'm a big fan of the Grainger market Colin there are some excellent meat suppliers in there

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I got an instant meat sweat on just looking at that steak.

How dare any of you say this meat sweat is off the jerky i have been nibbling on :lmao:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I simply could not be trusted with a whole side of beef (wipes drool from chin thinking of it), that would be end of any hope of a balanced diet until it ran out, just had a another piece of venison it is so good

Isn't Jerky supposed to be the main native wintertime food?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Definitely a great way of preserving meat and reducing it's weight for carrying so it makes a lot of sense for tribes on the move without a fridge, when you rehydrate it in a stew or soup it takes as good as it did when fresh

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Pemmican is pounded, smoke-cured and dried bison meat mixed with rendered bison fat and stored in 90lb bags = field rations for fur traders.
In the Hudson's Bay Fur Trading company records, you will find that the Rocky Mountain House post annual quota for pemmican was 44,000 lbs.
And, that it was done in 9 days.

I'm inclined to want some sort of a chemical or smoke cure as well as seasoning in jerky.
I use the High Mountain brand things from Cabella's.
But having said that, I can do a batch in one of my big smoker BBQ with apple wood.

Bought another side of bison. All done up and into my freezer last Thursday.
One or more sides every early winter since 2001.

Learn to spell Clostridium botulinum. Consider the simple growing conditions.
Botulism will never be a self-administered treat.
Look after yourselves.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
No one was talking about pemmican although it is a very interesting sustainer regarding calorific intake for weight carried, only thing i'd buy from Cabella's is a t-shirt that is one seriously expensive shop, they had a nice canoe, kayak and boat collection on show in the one i visited

In UK since the year 2000 only seven cases of food-borne botulism (one death), more likely to die from a meteorite landing on your head or a great white shark attack in the North Sea, food regulations are a lot stricter here than in US, i'm amazed at what they can do to food over there during it's production

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Pemmican is dried meat. For RMH, that was a year's supply.

Interesting. BIG MEAT has been quite sloppy here.
Even with your superior regulations, home processing might not be so stringent so I point that out as a simple cautionary awareness.
I have one of those dehydrators, at least the racks look the same = marvellous and reliable for fruits and veggies.
I do my jerky in the oven using ground bison. 16oz ground bison makes about 17' of 3/4" wide strip.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, I went in the butchers today.

Had 50ps worth of Hogs pudding (a kind of sausage popular here) and 50ps worth of ham offcuts.

And some lamb bones for stew (Sorry, dogs of Perranporth, you are already spoilt with the doggy clothing store, I want those bones...)

I think thats a few meals sorted.

Steak...thats a sharp bit of wood, yes?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You wouldn't get much for a pound in the butcher's around here.
You did very well to get sausages and bacon ends, and bones.

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hogs pudding is nice, but since coming East I have discovered Haslet.

022.jpg

Man that stuff is good!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Looks delicious :D

Presumably if you don't have a dehydrator, you could use a regular oven to do the same job Bod?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Yeah mate stick in on 100c and leave the door slightly open and it shouldn't get too dry too quickly, recommended temps for bacteria safety is 70-100c and then when done cooling it quick and storing below 5c, good thing is thin strips of jerky cool quickly.

If i had the space available to me i'd prefer to do it in a smokestack capital L shaped chimney make from rocks and gravel (to fill the gaps between the rocks)with an oak fed smoky fire in the boot of the L, last time i had venison done this way it never had a marinade or any spices on it and it was still amazing

Dehydrator was £27,99 inc postage

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hogs pudding is nice, but since coming East I have discovered Haslet.

022.jpg

Man that stuff is good!

Cor I haven't had haslet in yonks. Used to be a staple ingredient of my piece box sarnies when I started working. Cheap and tasty.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Got a 2-burner gas BBQ that you don't like? 5 minutes with bolt cutters will make a smoker BBQ that runs with any fruit wood you can find.
I use apple wood all the time, seems to come free on my doorstep. BBQ #16 can do 3 chickens, 4 racks of pork ribs, 12 spuds and 6 ears of
sweet corn in a single load.

#17 does a couple of Cornish hens and a couple of potatoes or 2 racks of pork ribs. My partner of 18(?) years has come to expect that
I will cook like that for her. My pleasure.

My point is that such a device in a single load can smoke more meat than you can eat. Never pay more that 10BPS/$20 for a used gasser.
Just as long as the gas valve block turns easily, the rest is fun. If the valves are stiff, walk away.

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Yeah mate stick in on 100c and leave the door slightly open and it shouldn't get too dry too quickly, recommended temps for bacteria safety is 70-100c and then when done cooling it quick and storing below 5c, good thing is thin strips of jerky cool quickly.

If i had the space available to me i'd prefer to do it in a smokestack capital L shaped chimney make from rocks and gravel (to fill the gaps between the rocks)with an oak fed smoky fire in the boot of the L, last time i had venison done this way it never had a marinade or any spices on it and it was still amazing

Dehydrator was £27,99 inc postage
Damn you! You made me spend 30quid!!!;)

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Chris the Fish

Forager
Dec 5, 2009
Stoney Stanton, Leics
That looks like a great idea for lightening the load. Not only that, but it's something that I could do with my son, which is a major bonus for me when it comes to bushcrafting.

Thanks for taking the time to share :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE