Getting knackered screws out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Dismantling an old caravan for bits for the Tactical Tin Tent...or trying to

Most of the screws are in a bad way and my screwdriver wont bite. (they are Phillips)

What should I do?

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
with an old caravan, use a claw hammer, just treat the screws as old nails, after all, you're not wanting to use the screws again.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Also make sure you are using a Phillips screw driver and not a pozi-drive screw driver, I have seen it happen so often that the wrong one is used and it damages the head before you get going.:)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
with an old caravan, use a claw hammer, just treat the screws as old nails, after all, you're not wanting to use the screws again.

You can't re-use the screws if you extract them with an easy out or johnson bar either. But those methods don't damge the threads in whatever they're screwed into.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I don't mind what happens to the screws; I don't want to damage the removed part, seeing as I need it for my TTT.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You could just drill the heads of either with a bit that size or with a countersink bit, they'll be soft screws on a caravan. Good luck, GB.

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
Try a bit of rubber band between the head and screwdriver and make sure that you are using the write size.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
At least they are Philips head and not slotted. Spray the screw heads with some WD 40 or similar just to clean them.( and leave for a few minutes) Place your screwdriver in the cross( if they are really badly corroded scrape out the cross with a needle or other sharp item so the screwdriver fits) and tap the back of the handle with a hammer whilst at the same time turning the screwdriver anti clockwise. This usually works on most seized/rusty screws, if not then drill the heads off, or as Robbi says treat them as nails and use a claw hammer, but use a thin piece of metal or wood underneath the pivot point of the hammer to protect whatever part you are removing.
Don't waste money on screw extractors as they don't work that well, particularly on small diameter screws.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Impact driver is you're friend in this case I suspect.
Make sure you have it set to remove and not tighten though.
Failing that drill the head off.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Don't waste money on screw extractors as they don't work that well, particularly on small diameter screws.

And yet, I've removed hundreds of stuck screws from various aircraft on the flightline with them. Without damaging the parts they held.

It does take a good bit of practice though.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....drill the heads off, or as Robbi says treat them as nails and use a claw hammer, but use a thin piece of metal or wood underneath the pivot point of the hammer to protect whatever part you are removing......

This will get the part off alright. But define "damage." This method only gets the part off the van but leaves the rest of the screw still stuck in the part rendering it unusable. you STILL have to use some type extracter to get out the rest of the screw.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Santababy :) i think you're missing the point mate, Tengu wants to keep the alluminium sheeting, thats all. The screws hold the sheeting to the frame ( timber ), a claw hammer or crowbar with a nail lifter at the end will either pull the screws out or snap the heads off......either way the sheeting will have minimul damage.

it doesn't matter that the screws are left in the timber frame

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
At least they are Philips head and not slotted. Spray the screw heads with some WD 40 or similar just to clean them.( and leave for a few minutes) Place your screwdriver in the cross( if they are really badly corroded scrape out the cross with a needle or other sharp item so the screwdriver fits) and tap the back of the handle with a hammer whilst at the same time turning the screwdriver anti clockwise. This usually works on most seized/rusty screws, if not then drill the heads off, or as Robbi says treat them as nails and use a claw hammer, but use a thin piece of metal or wood underneath the pivot point of the hammer to protect whatever part you are removing.
Don't waste money on screw extractors as they don't work that well, particularly on small diameter screws.

thats the way I would do it goodjob

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Santababy :) i think you're missing the point mate, Tengu wants to keep the alluminium sheeting, thats all. The screws hold the sheeting to the frame ( timber ), a claw hammer or crowbar with a nail lifter at the end will either pull the screws out or snap the heads off......either way the sheeting will have minimul damage.

it doesn't matter that the screws are left in the timber frame

Fair enough. Missed that bit. I'm thinking of screws stuck in mechanical parts she might have wanted to salvage.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Fair enough. Missed that bit. I'm thinking of screws stuck in mechanical parts she might have wanted to salvage.

Sounds like you've got your old USAF head on there buddy !.

As Robbi says use a claw hammer, its just wood & probably rotten underneath or a van only fit for scrap so no harm done.

Rob

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
Yup a claw hammer is the ticket for this one, just be careful when you get the claws started. You might look at a very slim pry bar, some have nail pullers in the end too. Remember it ain't rocket science it's demolition! Have fun and be sure to get rid of your destructive urges while doing it, sounds like good therapy.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sounds like you've got your old USAF head on there buddy !.

As Robbi says use a claw hammer, its just wood & probably rotten underneath or a van only fit for scrap so no harm done.

Rob

Yep, that's it exactly.

Any way you can get the head off will work otherwise: Chisel it off or drill it off would be my choice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE