Getting Brownie points

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
I’ve just come back from an evening out in the woods with one of our patrols of 6 Girl Guides. They are all very young 10 & 11 and haven’t been in guides long but as a patrol they wanted to do their survival badge.

Tonight they were to be building shelters. Looking at the weather ( high wind and heavy rain) I was beginning to wonder whether it was a good idea. At 7pm they all dully turned up looking very excited and nervous, and I decided that we’d better go.

After a quick check to make sure they all had some waterproofs. I told them to turn their torches OFF!
And off we went. Their was a lot of nervous chatter as I led them in to the woods by the village, to a spot I had scouted out earlier.

It was now pitch black and I let them turn on torches, with strict instruction not to shine them in peoples eyes. The spot I had chosen was under a huge holly tree, with some smaller trees surrounding it. When we arrived I asked what they were going to do, and immediately got some great suggestions out of them. I then asked if they had brought anything to build shelters with and to my amazement they had. Out came ropes and a ground sheet ( all I had said to bring was string and a torch) and one girl set to work tying a rope around a tree trunk, then tied of the other end on another tree. The groundsheet went over the top and was quickly pegged and weighed down around the edges. I just stood back and left them to it. Within 20 minutes they were all warm and dry undercover and eating a variety of snacks they had brought.

I was amazed at how well they worked together and how quickly they rigged up a shelter in howling wind and driving rain, in the dark too.

Best bit off the night for me was when they said ’this is the best thing ever’ then the youngest girl said ‘we’ll remember this for the rest of our lives‘. Of course I forgot the camer :eek:

Now they want to do it every week. Oh well, fire lighting next week. :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Awesome SG - what kind of firelighting are you going to do with them? If you need any bits and pieces (cramp ball, horses hoof, charcloth, flint and steel)...just holler

Red

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Sounds like a real experience for your girls! Well done :You_Rock_
Wish the guides my daughter went to was like that, they did an outdoor badge that consisted of looking at clouds and talking about what shapes they could see dragons, trains etc!
She is now in scouts, her choice!
Keep it up and give the girls proper experiences!

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Thanks for that.
i took over the unit three years ago and there were only 6 girls. the most exciting thing they had done was get a baker in to talk about cakes :p .

Now they have been climbing, white water rafting, camping lots and lost in the dark :D . We have 25 girls and more wanting to join after Easter, the biggest problem is getting helpers. Especially when I mention going outside :( .

British Red, Charcloth would be great if you have some to spare :) .

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
What can be quite impressive for first go with a firesteel(ferro rod) is cat tail/reed mace/bullrush, or thistle heads but it is the wrong time of year for the latter.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sure mate, I haven't got a lot right now but nothing simpler than to put a burn on this weekend. Can't get it posted till the weekend if thats okay? If so, PM me your addy and I'll get a bag in the post

Red

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
Excellent silvergirl, good to see that you are pointing them toward self reliance, teamwork, adventure and fun, and great to see that they have such enthusiasm for it.

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
That's brilliant Silvergirl :) My daughter, who is now 13, left her guides group and joined the scouts two years ago, because she wanted to do that kind of thing.
Best wishes,
Doug.

D

Deleted member 4605

Fantastic! I wish my daughters Brownie group was like that... That's why she goes to Cubs as well!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well done SG, that is a brilliant achievement. Its good to hear about our youngsters getting out and learning about things like this.:You_Rock_

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I love to hear about things like this. I regularly take my oldest son (6yrs) out camping and try and teach him a little bit more each time for instance he has so far learnt three really useful knots off by heart, can strike a fire steel and get some char cloth going, knows what makes good tinder and the next time we go out he is going to have a go at getting a flame from the char cloth to tinder. I will slowly build on this until he can see the whole process through to a well established fire. His little brother is already champing at the bit (3yrs) so my bushcraft years look to be well mapped out for at least the next 10 :D

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Silverback said:
I love to hear about things like this. I regularly take my oldest son (6yrs) out camping and try and teach him a little bit more each time for instance he has so far learnt three really useful knots off by heart, can strike a fire steel and get some char cloth going, knows what makes good tinder and the next time we go out he is going to have a go at getting a flame from the char cloth to tinder. I will slowly build on this until he can see the whole process through to a well established fire. His little brother is already champing at the bit (3yrs) so my bushcraft years look to be well mapped out for at least the next 10 :D

I am doing the same with my 5yr old son, we have been at it since he was 3yrs old.:)

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Osprey said:
That's brilliant Silvergirl :) My daughter, who is now 13, left her guides group and joined the scouts two years ago, because she wanted to do that kind of thing.
Best wishes,
Doug.

I must admit when I was a guide. If I could have joined Scouts I would have :rolleyes: .

When Scouts started taking girls I thought it seemed natural for them just to merge. However in the time I've been running the unit I've realised that some girls just don't have the confidence to work in a mixed group, the dynamic is very different. Guiding does seem to have a problem with its image and what goes on, but any group is only as good as the volunteers they get to help. There are plenty of opportuinties for bushcraft/surrvival/outdoor skills built into the programme its just down to how they are implemented.

I have had some local boys ask if they can come to guides as the girls all seem to have such a good time :) .

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
silvergirl said:
I have had some local boys ask if they can come to guides as the girls all seem to have such a good time :) .
I suspect the boys idea of the fun to be had at guides may differ from yours :lmao:

Gailainne

Life Member
Silvergirl

I just made up this batch you are welcome to have, send me your snailmail.
Its surprisingly easy to do, Morrisons own brand dusters 100% cotton 4 for 47p and a small paint tin with a small hole in the lid. I used my kitchen gas cooker, middle size ring, left it for about an hour, till most of the smoke was gone, PS make sure all windows and doors to the outside are open and doors inside are closed...what a reek !

Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE