Gerber Recon LED Torch Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Gerber Recon Review.

The Gerber Recon is a small lightweight LED torch powered by 1 AA battery. It’s unusual in that it has a rotating bezel which allows the user to filter the light output to differing colours. The torch is primarily targeted at military users.

DSCF0156.jpg

Firstly a disclaimer the Gerber Recon in this review is mine. I bought it from RV OPS where they were on sale and it was shipped to me here in NZ. Secondly I’m not a torch guru just a regular user.

I was after a small LED hand held torch for a few differing reasons and after casting about via a bit of googling settled on the Gerber Recon. I don’t need the torch for ‘tactical’ reasons but the price and the positive reviews the Recon gets made my mind up. Also the filter options were potentially useful and the fact they were incorporated in the torch rather than being an add on kit was a positive... I’m sure quite a few of us will have bought torches like the Mini Maglite combo set in the past and lost the filter holder and filters or screwed the red filter on permanently and been stuck when map reading at night ... I would say that if you’re after a small torch with a blistering light output and computer designed reflector burning a branded LED then you’ll need to look elsewhere. There are better torches on the market with high output LED’s. If you’re after a small torch with LED and the good battery life that gives for a bit of kit admin or some map reading at night then the Gerber Recon might be for you.
Overall length of the torch is approx 90mm and the head is approx 29-30mm in diameter.

Ok the body of the torch and the tail cap are made from Aluminum alloy which has a black anodized coating. The rotating filter bezel is made from plastic. The torch uses just a single LED I don’t believe it’s a branded LED like a CREE or Luxeon it just looks like something I used in my GCSE electronics project back in the 80’s however it works well enough.
The torch is actuated by turning the tail cap clockwise this closes the contacts with the battery and the torch switches on. Slackening the tail cap ½ a turn anticlockwise allows you to depress the tail cap against the contact spring and actuate the light, release pressure on the tail cap and the contact with the battery is broken and the torch switches off. A further ½ turn anticlockwise and the torch is off permanently.

DSCF0160.jpg

The head of the torch is oversized to allow the LED and filter bezel room to do their thing. The LED is actually offset from centre the oversized head has 5 flat machined on it which provide good grip with cold or wet fingers and if you’re wearing gloves when actuating the tail cap switch which has a band of straight knurling which is nicely executed.

DSCF0156-1.jpg

A further small flat is machined onto the head and this aligns with a flat on the bezel which indicates the red filter is selected... Useful if you’re in a ‘tactical’ situation surrounded by the ‘enemy’ but not so useful for bushcraft perhaps...

DSCF0158.jpg

The filter settings have a positive de-dent and lock into position. You get Red, Blue, Green and white light. Red is of course aimed to help preserve night vision and is a bit more concealed at night. The problem is of course if you look at a map with red light then all of the contour lines disappear and the map shows no relief which is a pain ( unless you’re somewhere flat like Lydd Ranges)...

DSCF0130-1.jpg

The green filter has no such problems and allows you to keep your night vision intact and read the relief on the map with no problems....

DSCF0131.jpg

Here is a view in daylight of the terrain looking from Yes Tor to High Willhays

DSCF2304.jpg

The Blue filter is supposedly good for following up blood trails ( useful if you’re on a ‘follow up’ after ambushing the enemy in close country) or perhaps tracking a wounded animal if you’re out hunting...

Construction wise the torch is solidly built. It comes supplied with an AA battery and a sprung clip that holds the torch securely and I find is really useful on a tarp ridge line it also clips well to a ‘D’ ring on a rucksack shoulder strap.

DSCF0159.jpg

DSCF0123.jpg

DSCF0130.jpg

The tail cap has a 5mm diameter hole for a lanyard so you could poke some ‘550’ cord through if you wanted. The torch features a single O Ring seal which is enough to make it splash resistant but if you want something for diving or very wet environments then you’ll have to look elsewhere for a suitable bit of kit.

DSCF0155-1.jpg

I’m afraid I don’t have LED output figures or battery life figures. But after a fair bit of use the battery is still going strong and I find the output is enough for most local tasks around camp and it’s low output is a boon especially if you’re in a crowded hut as the low output doesn’t disturb folk sleeping if you’re fossicking for some bit of kit or other in your bergen or your Camelbak tube. It augments my Petzl E light nicely. The fact it uses an AA battery rather than a specific Lithium battery is a boon as AA’s tend to be in my kit and it’s 1 less battery type to have to worry about.
I was impressed by the torch and its construction and it’s not overly expensive IMHO for what you get. If you’re expecting exceptional CP output figures or heaps of modes or features then you’ll be well disappointed. After a simple useable light with built in coloured filters.. You’ll be happy with the result...
A further detailed review can be found at

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/gerber_recon.htm

Kit maestros RV OPS stock the Gerber Recon and have a nifty You Tube review and are great to deal with.

http://www.rvops.co.uk/gerber-recon-led-torch-1315.html

Cheers

John

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Nice review johnboy, thanks for that!

I've been considering getting one or two of these for a while now, your review's probably tipped me over now - just gotta wait for pay-day!

Claudiasboris

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I do have one of these torches and i carry it everyday with me. They are small compact and the battery lasts ages, dependant on use but 1 battery tends to last me a couple of months. Yes it not the brightest, but its good enough for general close work and finding keys in the dark when you drop them :)

I know alot of guys who use them out on exercises and tours as AA batteries are the easiest to get hold of, its light and strong and only takes one battery which last for ages and it covers all tasks by having all the filters you need less IR. For price, purpose and practicality you cann't get much better. IMO :)

I have a lot of torches and this is still my main for general use and lives with me everyday. The only other that has that claim is the Petzl E+Lite which is another awesome torch.

Sam442

Oct 17, 2009
Bristol/Salisbury
I've owned one of these for about a year (still on the same battery) and can only echo the above review, cracking torch and small enough to always have in a coat pocket.
Obviously not a huge beam but bright enough for most tasks and a bomb proof build for very little money.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE