Gerber Recall..Bear Grill Machetes?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Short answer; yes. It might even have been bought for the kids. I had a machete when I was just a kid (althoughnot a parang) My 11 year old grandson has one now.

My lad is only two so maybe a bit to young yet. ;-)
My point was that a faulty sheath meant it should be kept away from children. Young or old if you are experienced enough to use the tools then you should have also been told to how to check they are in good working order. Or even better how to chose a decent tool in the first place rather than just following the marketing carrott.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Stitched Sheath for Bear Grylls Parang Recall

The Stitched Sheath for the Gerber Bear Grylls Parang machete is made of black nylon, with only stitching on the curved side of the sheath, 5 rivets on the bottom of the sheath and 2 rivets bordering the strap on top of the sheath. It was sold as part of the Parang machete package and as part of Gerber’s Apocalypse Survival Kit. With a small number of the Stitched Sheaths, the Parang has cut through the stitching when the blade is taken from or replaced in the Sheath, posing a laceration hazard. This is more likely to occur when the Parang is inserted in the Sheath upside down.
The Stitched Sheath

sheath1_reference.png

The Riveted Sheath

sheath2_reference.png

If you have a Gerber Parang that came with a Stitched Sheath, stop using it immediately, store the Parang machete in a safe area away from children, and contact Gerber to receive instructions on how to receive a free replacement Riveted Sheath. Please note, this recall doesn't apply to sheaths that have rivets running along the entire curved side of the sheath, or to sheaths that have two snap buttons on the curved side of the sheath.
Call Gerber between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. PT, Monday through Friday, at: (877) 314-9130 or fill out the form below.
Bear Grylls Parang Sheath Recall Press Release

CPSC Sheath Recall press release June 6 2013.pdf 499.87 kB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE