Gerber Recall..Bear Grill Machetes?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Read that with interest, right up to the bit where it said

[h=5]Manufactured in[/h]China

... At which point I snorted in derision. Another example of poor ol' China churning out substandard goods.

I wonder if Gerber actually made the blade? I'd be pretty disappointed to find out you can indeed "Fake a Legend" to use their own advertising slogan.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Is that the second or third recall on this range now for safety issues in manufacturing? Irrespective of the BG link, that seems a good reason to buy another makers tools

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Is that the second or third recall on this range now for safety issues in manufacturing? Irrespective of the BG link, that seems a good reason to buy another makers tools

Yeah, it definitely had a recall because the blade was breaking up near the handle.

Gerber is owned by Fiskars.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Whoa with the scaremongering. This report seems to be in relation to US supplied sheaths and not the blades? Irrespective of that I wouldn't stop buying Fiskar's trowels because the handles were falling off of their wheelbarrows!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
This bit from the article is great

""
[h=5]Remedy[/h]Consumers should immediately store the covered Parang machete in a safe area away from children""

So its ok to keep to leave it in my little lads room once the sheath is fixed?

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Oh for God's sake!

It's not that long since I got the blade replaced after a recall. And now it turns out the new (and inferior) sheath that came with it needs to be recalled, wheras the old one would have done fine.

Widu the recall may be in the US but it is the same one issued here.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
The recall notice is one day old. The Gerber notice...

www. gerbergear.com/Meet-Gerber/Product-Info/Product-Notifications/Stitched-Sheath-for-Bear-Grylls-Parang-Recall

shows which ones are OK and which are not. Mine is in the Not OK bracket. Interestingly the Compact Parang just released (which junior bought) has the same design.

Last edited:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
It isn't actually but I see what the problem is. gerber.com is redirecting to gerber.co.uk where the information is not available.

If you go to www.startpage.com then type in "bear grylls parang recall" you will see

Bear Grylls Parang Recall | Gerber Gear

www.gerbergear.com/ Frontpage/ Meet-Gerber/ Product-Info/ Product-Notifications/ Bear-Grylls-Parang-Recall - View by Ixquick Proxy - Highlight
Bear Grylls Parang Recall InformationBear Grylls Parang Recall Press Release.

click on that link in startpage and you will get there.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Whoa with the scaremongering. This report seems to be in relation to US supplied sheaths and not the blades? Irrespective of that I wouldn't stop buying Fiskar's trowels because the handles were falling off of their wheelbarrows!

No, but if I would not buy from a small product range that was on its third safety related recall either.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This bit from the article is great

""
Remedy

Consumers should immediately store the covered Parang machete in a safe area away from children""

So its ok to keep to leave it in my little lads room once the sheath is fixed?

Short answer; yes. It might even have been bought for the kids. I had a machete when I was just a kid (althoughnot a parang) My 11 year old grandson has one now.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE