General Bushcraft Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
Hi all ive not been on here for a while but i need some advice i now currently own 3 knives, a Spyderco Persistence which i dont realy use, Spyderco UKPK (EDC) and a Becker Companion BK2 which i use for bushcraft, the BK2 is a great chopper but its quite useless at slicing and doing fine work so im looking for something a bit smaller than the BK2 and with a scandi blade, the same style knife as the raymears woodlore knife but i dont realy want to spend more than £150, so far ive narowed my choice down to a Enzo Trapper with an O1 scandi blade, do you think this is a good choice or are their any other knives that you would recomend that are better than the enzo

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Go with the Enzo Trapper, it's a cracking knife. If you have chance take a look at the D2 full flat as well, it's an amazing performer.

5097.jpg

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
ive heard that the D2 blades always chip because their so brittle so i think an O1 blade would be better, dont you

Not really. A full flat with secondary is less prone to chipping than a scandi, whether 01 or D2. You can do all bushcrafting jobs with both grinds, but scandi is easier to sharpen if you are starting out. If you are preparing game alot, then the full flat with the stronger edge is my preference as it is less prone to chipping.

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
id prefer to buy a knife brand new, it looks like ill go for an enzo trapper i cant decide which on though theres so many different variations, flat grind, scandi grind, D2, O1, micarta handles, or selection of wood ones

Hardworms

May 23, 2007
Huddersfield
JonathanD is absolutely right. The scandi grind can chip quite easily when dressing out large game. But if, like me, the largest animal you're likely to be dealing with is a rabbit or wood pigeon I would go with O1 Scandi grind. They're simple, easy to sharpen, hold terrific edges and are really quite flexible. I've just finished handling an Enzo one in curly birch with red liners, it's for sale if you can stomach the price (pms welcome). But before you go spending loads, have you considered the mora clipper?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mora-Green-...501957?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1283108387&sr=8-1

It's about £10 and performs as well as any knife at ten times the price. The sheaths are pants, but you could always get a leather worker to make you one up for about £25. And if you break one you can always buy another. I'm gonna be re-handling a few of those too in the next few weeks if you want to wait around.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
The mora clipper is a great knife, unless you like breaking things (like me) or are generally a bit hard on your tools. I would have to completely agree with Jonathan, go d2 in the full flat trapper. I got one a couple of months ago and i am as pleased as punch with it. )1 is great, but it does require close maintenance, and approaching the wet part of the year (which part isn't!?), D2 would be more rust resistant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE