Gear weight dilemma

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Matt is a top bloke as well, I'm sure he'll be interested in sorting this out.

I like the look of both weights of his quilts and it would be great to see this followed up.

I'm more interested in temp ratings but the weight is important too.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom

I like the look of both weights of his quilts and it would be great to see this followed up.

His top quilts are generally pretty well rated and true to the listings. His underquilts are poorly fitted to the shape of the hammock i.e they are not shaped (darted) to fit the hammock properly. I have a winter ukh UQ and ive upgraded to a hammock gear one. The HG quilt is half the weight and just as warm. With quilts fit is everything and Matt is sadly a long way behind the competition. Its just a shame all the competition is overseas and he has no reason to improve the design of his own gear. The saving grace of his underquilts is that they are rammed full of good quality down which somewhat makes up for the lack of fit.

Id happily buy one of his top quilts IF it conforms to the advertised weights.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
My winter top quilt comes in at 850g. Box wall baffle, 75mm/3" and same dimensions. Much heavier Pertex 4 as the shell and with 600g of down.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My older style UKH summer TQ comes in at approx 550g Steve, the winter TQ with 100g extra down I sold recently only weighed 970g, something's not quite right somewhere.

What has Matt said, have you spoken to him yet?

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
My top and under quilt came the same way last week. I don't mind a nice storage bag (long term) instead of compression sacks as I use dry bags anyway. My top quilt had wrong width (I ordered custom size) and after two emails with Mat everything got sorted (replacement with a refund for postage). So just talk to him and he will sort you out.

Note one: he is a custom maker from a cottage company so any info/numbers are only an estimate (although my under quilt is exactly 650grams). He constantly rethinks and evolve his designs without updating the website with every detail. My quilts came with few improvements I wasn't expecting like a clips instead of ribbons (I wanted to be able to open up my TQuilt).

Note two: because of the sale they are extremely busy and delays/errors will occur - I have ordered a hammock, two quilts, dutchware and a stove so been in the thick of it for the last two months.

He was very patient with all my questions and nose turning etc so I don't mind a delay or a hiccup with my order. Products are beautifull and his customer service is great. Give him a bell or email.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Call me old fashioned but if I had a problem with a product I would contact the seller first before starting a thread like this.

Correct, I would, and have been around long enough to realise that's a good starting point. However, I wanted to merely get some advice to find out if I was actually being anal about the weight, and to see if people would class the few hundred grams difference as ok given it's says approx on his website.

Thanks for the comment, will bare that in mind before i start another thread.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Weighed my top winter quilt yesterday and it came in heavier than the summer fill quilt.
zezy2u7a.jpg

emu5ugaz.jpg

Just to check that the stuff sack didn't make a difference I weighed that too
6agydudy.jpg

Here is the summer (green) and winter (brown) together. You will see there is a a difference in the loft
4udytaja.jpg

I was having major problems with my email, I'm with talk talk and i couldn't send any messages yesterday, so eventually i bit the bullet and posted on mats Facebook page and he is confused as the rest of us.

Gonna send it back and get it changed.

Like I stayed earlier, I'm not company bashing, iv had a fair amount of bad luck with mat over the lat 18 months, but I really do like his work, and he comes across as a top bloke.

This thread was merely started to see if I was being really picky and silly about the quilt being a few hundreds grams over what it should be, and as a bunch of makers that are on here, whether you would be happy with it.
Cheers

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
My top and under quilt came the same way last week. I don't mind a nice storage bag (long term) instead of compression sacks as I use dry bags anyway. My top quilt had wrong width (I ordered custom size) and after two emails with Mat everything got sorted (replacement with a refund for postage). So just talk to him and he will sort you out.

Note one: he is a custom maker from a cottage company so any info/numbers are only an estimate (although my under quilt is exactly 650grams). He constantly rethinks and evolve his designs without updating the website with every detail. My quilts came with few improvements I wasn't expecting like a clips instead of ribbons (I wanted to be able to open up my TQuilt).

Note two: because of the sale they are extremely busy and delays/errors will occur - I have ordered a hammock, two quilts, dutchware and a stove so been in the thick of it for the last two months.

He was very patient with all my questions and nose turning etc so I don't mind a delay or a hiccup with my order. Products are beautifull and his customer service is great. Give him a bell or email.

Hi, thanks for the comment, when you say nice storage sack, did you receive the net bag like I did? Tbh that's not an issue as I store all my down underneath my bed as I have an otter man bed so they store lofted and dust free under there.

I agree completely about the whole custom maker, but I can't see that putting 650g is an estimate? Maybe it's an average but he would have weighed a few before selling them I would have thought.

I ordered my quilt right at the start if the sale, and recieved it last Monday, so I think 7-8 weeks is patient enough without even raising it as a point, even though when I ordered it I asked it to be delivered by the 4th April as I was going on a trip, it didn't arrive!! But it's not an issue as I took the winter quilt, but again it's another nail in the coffin of this sale!!

Like I commented earlier, I do really like his work, and I think he is a top bloke, and I fully intend on supporting him by buying stuff from his site because I like to support small British businesses.

What I have learnt though is to order it maybe a few weeks earlier than I actually need it just in case he is busy ill etc.

Thanks for the comment.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
That's true enough, box wall will increase the weight. I am fancying the quilt for ground dwelling. How low a temp do you think it'll go in real life?

Hi, sorry mate I missed this.

The summer quilt, I'm really not sure tbh as I have not even got underneath it. The winter quilt though is amazing!!! Used it down to minus 15 with absolutely no bother!! I used it on the ground with and exped synmat at those temps!! It feels lovely and packs down well and at under a kilo is bloody impressive!!

Like I said earlier it really is my favourite bit of kit!!

I actually really look forward to getting in my hammock when that lies in there lol!!

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs

Yeah like previously said mate, he told me my winter quilt would be good for minus 18 and I fully believe it!

On the website he says it's good for minus 5, I sleep cold but would have no issues using it to freezing if my winter quilt is anything to go by!!

Go buy one!! You won't regret it!!

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Thanks Steve, sounds like what I'm looking for.

I'll probably head down to Matt and get measured for a custom quilt before my next big trip, I was looking at Carinthia down bags as well cos I don't like being mummified in a tight bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE