Gear weight dilemma

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Good evening gents and ladies of the bush.

I'm after a bit of advice please, mainly from the makers here but everyone is free to contribute if they have a view or experience.

Firstly let me start off by saying this isn't a company bashing thread, and I don't want it to turn into one so the company will remain nameless.

On Monday I recieved a very nice summer down top quilt from an online company.

First reflections were very good, it lofted very well and felt beautiful. I have got a winter quilt which I class as my favourite bit of gear, it's a bit Over kill for summer, and as I love my other quilt so much I decided to buy the lighter weight version as I'm desperately trying to lower my pack weight.

Anyway here it is in it's down loveliness -

ezu7aben.jpg

although I very much like the quilt, the winter I bought came in a very nice stuff sack made of the same material as the quilt.

This one came in a horrible netting bag -
epugezun.jpg

Again, I can handle that as the quilt will be stored out of the bag under my bed. So not an issue, just a bit confusing.

Since I bought the quilt I have been pondering how I was going to carry it in my pack, I was looking at Cuban dry bags and e-vent compression sacks.

Then it occurred to me I had a couple of Tesco down bags I bought for £20 a while back, and I could use the compression sack when I'm out camping.

Here it is in the compression sack -
8ymutuja.jpg

As you can see it packs down lovely and small, and I didn't really compress it down hard, looking good.

So my next port if call was to weigh it, the compression bag isn't sil nylon or any other sort of special fabric so I thought it may be heavy.

On the website I purchased it, the weight of the top quilt is approx 650, I can give or take a bit extra so you can imagine my surprise when I saw this -

vagyvena.jpg

Wow. That must be one heavy stuff sack!! So I took it out and weighed the stuff sack on its own hoping to see that this stuff sack weighed maybe 200g, this is what my scales read -
a9utajub.jpg

Now I'm no mathematic genius but my new lightweight 650g (approx) top quilt actually weighs over a kilo!!

So having spent £100 on this I'm not exactly sure how to progress from here.

Especially as the £20 2 season sleeping bag that was originally in that stuff sack weighs less than the £100 lightweight summer top quilt

jyzequ5a.jpg

So here is my question, like I say I'm happy for the weight to e a bit over or under, in fact if it came in at 750g it wouldn't be an issue, but to come in almost half as much again doesn't make sense to me.

So as makers and the other light weight campers, where it say approx on the website, is 350g plus acceptable as approx?
What would you guys do? If you were the maker I this quilt and also your we page advertised it as a light weight quilt weighing approx 650g, would you be happy with the weight? I bought this mainly because of the great quality that I got with my first quilt, but also the 650g weight was incredibly appealing.

In reality, i could use my £20 Tesco sleeping bag and a down jacket and come under the current weight of my new quilt and be just as warm.

I do fully appreciate that at a kilo it is still very light, and also a you have seen it's also very very packable.

So what would you guys do?

Cheers
Steve

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Well personally id get onto uk hammocks and give them a rocket. Not good enough by a country mile. *** is that sack. Looks like something you throw dirty underwear in. If it was me id open a paypal case immediately send it back for a full refund and then order a hammock gear quilt from the states.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I'd check the accuracy of my scales before anything else?

I'm not saying yours are wrong, but it's the first thing I'd ask in my own mind.

That's a fair shout, just stuck a measuring jug on my scales and zeroed it, filled it up to what looks like the 500ml line and the scales says 505g

If I'm correct 500ml should weigh in at 500g, is that right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
there is nothing wrong with your scales Steve. Your new event pull on weighed true to the Rab published weights. Its no winter quilt either. Its either full of low grade down or someone is just plain taking the mickey. Given your previous nightmare with the same company im surprised you went back for more.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Call me old fashioned but if I had a problem with a product I would contact the seller first before starting a thread like this.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Call me old fashioned but if I had a problem with a product I would contact the seller first before starting a thread like this.

See Steve is a really nice and gentle chap and he's been shat on by this trader over a period of months just last year. Said trader let him down for delivery of his winter quilt for his winter estonia trip. Then he sent his tarp in to have doors fitted and they came back screwed up. He sent said tarp back and it was never seen again and now he has another product that is carp.

I think he has the patience of a saint!!!!

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt

The OP hasn't named anyone but we know who makes them. A maker/manufacturer needs to stand by their products. I've tried for days and days to get hold of some manufacturers before now, but when you post on their Facebook or Twitter feeds watch how quickly they react!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE