Gas conversion for trangia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
oetzi said:
Why should one want to do it? It takes ages just to get the water boiling!

Whats the rush about? once boiling the simmer ring is one of the best ways of a slow simmer I know of, very controlable, it just takes practise, and as a stove collector (yes, I know, a sad hobby), I've tried most alternative stoves, old and new. When I am out with my lad, and weight is not vital, I take other stoves, but then, thats just me playing with one of my stove collection :rolleyes:

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Ok, i'm an idiot!
gas canisters have obviously moved on since i last used them and i had no idea you could unscrew it. Good, it works. I like it again! :)

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
bikething said:
Oetzi, that looks very interesting :You_Rock_

Any idea where i could get one from???

please?

Cheers
Steve

Hello Steve
I dont know whether the manufacturer still exists, since I havent found anything on the web.
You can, however, get one through me, cause we stock it in the shop. Its selling for € 16,50 and p&p would be around € 4,50.
if you want to make one yourself, I can give you the measurements. After all, its just a piece of bent steel.
Just let me know

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
oetzi said:
Hello Steve
I dont know whether the manufacturer still exists, since I havent found anything on the web.
You can, however, get one through me, cause we stock it in the shop. Its selling for € 16,50 and p&p would be around € 4,50.
if you want to make one yourself, I can give you the measurements. After all, its just a piece of bent steel.
Just let me know
Hi Oetzi

I spent a bit of time in the past searching the web with no luck. The bit i couldn't work out was how to light it (assuming it was sat down i the hole like the nova conversion) - It's obvious now you've posted those photos - Is there a problem with the burner being closer to the pan?

If you could send me the measurements, that would be great, and i'll try to make one over the christmas break.. If that fails, i may be after one from the shop ! :D

Thanks for your help and info on this
Steve

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Hello steve
I havent used one myself, so I cant comment on the closer proximity of the burner to the pot. One can, however, lower the burner by filing off the edges it rests on the lower windscreen.
I can copy the shape of the adapter on a piece of paper and have it scanned, then mail it to you. Easier would be for me, if you pm me your adress and I put the paper with the drawing in an envelope and snailmail it to you.
I will be at work again on thursday, so I can put it in the mail that evening.

Reactions: bikething

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
rik_uk3 said:
Whats the rush about? once boiling the simmer ring is one of the best ways of a slow simmer I know of, very controlable, it just takes practise, and as a stove collector (yes, I know, a sad hobby), I've tried most alternative stoves, old and new. When I am out with my lad, and weight is not vital, I take other stoves, but then, thats just me playing with one of my stove collection :rolleyes:

that´s precisely it.

We stove collectors are indeed a bit :eek: :rolleyes: :( ;) :p :eek: :aargh4: :lmao:
of course I´ve made my experiences with all sorts of stoves including an armada of homemade burners.
So don´t worry if I´m sticking to my Trangia (no, Trangia didn´t invent the alc. burner and yes, I´ve paid money for my stoves and no, I´m not in whatsoever way affiliated to the mfg. nor do I get money for selling stoves) - I know it has its limitations :beerchug:

For those who are in interested in stoves:
www.zenstove.net
www.spiritburner.com (there´s nothing new under the sun :D )

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
cyclist said:
that´s precisely it.

We stove collectors are indeed a bit :eek: :rolleyes: :( ;) :p :eek: :aargh4: :lmao:
of course I´ve made my experiences with all sorts of stoves including an armada of homemade burners.
So don´t worry if I´m sticking to my Trangia (no, Trangia didn´t invent the alc. burner and yes, I´ve paid money for my stoves and no, I´m not in whatsoever way affiliated to the mfg. nor do I get money for selling stoves) - I know it has its limitations :beerchug:

For those who are in interested in stoves:
www.zenstove.net
www.spiritburner.com (there´s nothing new under the sun :D )

and for spares
www.base-camp.co.uk

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Sorry to keep banging on about this, if i could just nick back my thread for a while :D
I tried the gas conversion this weekend whilst taking my boys camping. Overall the gas is very good, no nonsense, but i think iv'e found a weakness with the whole kit.
Frying. At least using the trangia lid as intended to fry. The problem is that the top wind shield has no air holes so what happens when you smother a fire?, it goes out. the lid is bigger than the windshield so it smothers any oxygen getting in. it would take a considerably smaller frying pan to allow air in. Thinking on, i would presume the same thing would happen with the meths..
On a positive note i finally had a very comfortable night in the hammock by tying it tought and did ny first spot of cooking on the fire with my billies.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
IIRC on a genuine trangia you have the folding clips that support the pans inside the windshield....don't you have to flip these out to support the frying pan, giving a gap underneath it?

I've got the Lidl clone version with the wire rack thingy, which i guess would mean the frying pan seals off the top of the upper windshield. I haven't tried it but i would hope there are sufficient vents around the upper edge to allow for this... may have to try it tomorrow night when i get home from work :D

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
bikething said:
IIRC on a genuine trangia you have the folding clips that support the pans inside the windshield....don't you have to flip these out to support the frying pan, giving a gap underneath it?

I've got the Lidl clone version with the wire rack thingy, which i guess would mean the frying pan seals off the top of the upper windshield. I haven't tried it but i would hope there are sufficient vents around the upper edge to allow for this... may have to try it tomorrow night when i get home from work :D
OMG! :lmao: :lmao:
How i wish you'd have pm'd me that bit of priceless info :eek:
Thanks
Gawd i feel like a fool :lmao:
Still you have answered my question . Thinking on, it's kind of obvious now i suppose.
thanks bikething :You_Rock_

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Overall the gas is very good, no nonsense, but i think iv'e found a weakness with the whole kit.

Granted, no stove is ever going to be 100% perfect. I really do enjoy using my Mini-Trangia and in fact, I've customized it a little bit to suit my needs even more. That said, it has it's weaknesses: We all know that Meths only put out around 6,000 BTU's compared to a petrol stove which puts out anywhere from 10,000 to 12,000 BTU's. On the other hand, there's nothing at all to go wrong with a Trangia, it lights in a second so there is no fuel wasted on startup.

I won't even bother touching on cannister stoves because they're an entirely different kettle of fish, but petrol stoves are inherently heavier and more complicated than a Trangia. However, they burn hot (especially at altitude) and don't seem to complain when melting snow in the dead of winter.

For my tastes, I think my next stove is going to be a Svea 123R, as it's small enough for my needs. I guess I'll have to check out E-Bay.

Cheers,

Adam

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I really like my gas convertor, and there are some things that definatly cook better than with the meths burner, like pop corn :)

But the best one of the lot is breakfast omlette. Start frying off chunkily cut onion and dices of chopped up sausage it a little oil. Once its gone brown throw in two beaten eggs, squares of bacon, thin sliced mushroom and maybe some diced tomato. Move this around really fast until it forms a solid lump then turn it over.

This is best served between two 1" slices of bread with either ketchup or daddies sauce... :) :)

Its best with a non-stick frying pan and a gas burner.

The other variation is to forget the sausages but chop the rest REALLY fine and mix it in a bowl (increase to 3 eggs) beat with some butter and then soak large slices of bread in in for 5 minutes. Fry these on both sides for only a few minutes and east straight from the pan burning your fingers.... ummm....... :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE