Gas conversion for trangia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Does anyone use one?
how do you find it?
Where was the cheapest place you found?
What cannisters do they use and are they expensive?
Sorry for all the questions but i'm thinking of getting one instead of an optimus nova and conversion as funds are tight. I love the setup of the trangia but i find meths soo slow and not all that hot especially in the colder months.
thanks for any suggestions :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The Trangia is a great stove system and I love all the versions I have tried. My wife however will only use the stove when fitted with the gas convertion, so she can simmer and have instant heat control. The version I have is pretty old now (can't remember the price)but uses self sealing removable canisters which being fairly standard are easy to find and not expensive. Worth getting!

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
there are ( and have been) lots of conversions: Optimus, Primus, MSR Whisperlite - you name it. The best IMHO is the KAP Arctic .... link via search button of this forum

With a little tinkering you could probably fit the burner you want to the windshield.

After a little practice I found it not nessessary to use a canister/liquid gas/petrol/kerosene stove. Well, I must say I´m not using my Trangia at arctic temperatures and not just in the worst cases I use a Kelly Kettle as a backup. :burnout:

Mar 21, 2006
Isle of Wight
Bought one and my friend now has one too. These things really are a fantastic bit of kit. Got mine with the Trangia, but I can get one for £30. Seriously good bit of kit and really (and I mean really) quick to heat and cook on. We boiled about 1.25 litres of water in the pan in 4 minutes dead and it was bubbling over the edge of the pot, not just so there were small bubbles breaking the surface of the water like some stove companies reckon is boiling!!!
Gas cannisters are reasonably priced too.
I am going to be buying the bigger pots they do now so I can start to do my famous game casserole as I keep getting sooooo many requests for it now, it is doing my head in.
Buy one and relax, knowing that if you bin the kettle and boil water in the small pan, you can carry the gas converter and meths burner inside the stove and be more flexible.
My converter also came in a really nice Trangia bag inside the set.
My friend who got his converter has the stainless steel trangia copy from blacks and it fits that too. He is over the moon with it and takes it on all his bike trips.
Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Ok i couldn't wait so i just ordered one from field and trek. Apparently it is illegal to send gas cannisters through the post which sounds reasonable so i am hoping somewhere like millets does them.
Thanks for all your help :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They take any standard screw type gas cartridge you can pick up at many stores, but remember that you loose performance when the cans get cold, thats where the Nova wins hands down.

The KAP is a great stove, I'm on the lookout for one myself to add to my stove collection :)

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I think they are the only way to use a Trangia. I also agree that they will allow you to simmer a pot in a way that the meths burners will not. If you can't or don't make a fire then a gas conversion is about the only way to make things like pancakes without burning the pan. :)

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Be careful to buy the right gas cylanders, they are not all suitable.

Round here camping gaz are cheaper per cc but they don't fit.

I also bought some designed for blow trches from B&Q wqhich are about the size of a WD40 can.They are fine when upright but that stretchs teh hose, they can work on their side but if they tip up too much you end up with liquid butane and a 12" flame!! :eek:

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I love my Trangia 28 "Mini" to absolute pieces, but it is without a doubt a three season stove. It snowed quite badly here in Nanaimo a couple of weeks ago, so one afternoon I took my Trangia outside to see how it would do with melting snow. Everyone knows how small the pot is with the Mini, right? Well, it took me almost 20 minutes to melt a pot of snow and I did not receive anything resembling a boil, regardless of the fact that I used a good windscreen and insulated the bottom from the ground.

Spring, Summer, or Fall, the Trangia is a magnificent lightweight stove. But in the wintertime, forget about it!

Adam

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
addyb said:
I love my Trangia 28 "Mini" to absolute pieces, but it is without a doubt a three season stove. It snowed quite badly here in Nanaimo a couple of weeks ago, so one afternoon I took my Trangia outside to see how it would do with melting snow. Everyone knows how small the pot is with the Mini, right? Well, it took me almost 20 minutes to melt a pot of snow and I did not receive anything resembling a boil, regardless of the fact that I used a good windscreen and insulated the bottom from the ground.

Spring, Summer, or Fall, the Trangia is a magnificent lightweight stove. But in the wintertime, forget about it!

Adam

There is a multifuel burner available, which makes it a good 4-season stove. Same principle as MSR and optimus, but compatible with the trangia system. I really like the windscreen of the 25, and I can't stand the flimsy foil versions from msr.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
fred gordon said:
I think they are the only way to use a Trangia. I also agree that they will allow you to simmer a pot in a way that the meths burners will not. If you can't or don't make a fire then a gas conversion is about the only way to make things like pancakes without burning the pan. :)

:confused:

You would like to make a simple thing complicated?
Why?
Did you have a look at the spare parts price list?
One MSR is the equivalent of a couple of Trangia burners :confused:

You don´t know how to simmer on a meth. burner?
Use the simmer ring and if it´s a real problem put some water in the burner (10% of fuel vol.) or use the Tatonka burner or best use a pot cozy :sadwavey: :D

You don´t know how to make pancakes on a trangia?
Never ever take a thin titanium (or aluminum) pan, forget Teflon.
Use a (carbon)steel pan :D

@ Adam: Best on the T28 is the burner, the rest .... :(
I´d fabricate a potstand myself or take a Clikstand or Westwind if I´m in need for a light version. A real light storm stove is the Caldera Cone Stove, it has been discussed here on the forum - you´ll find it via the Search button.

An other real alc. powered stormstove is the Optimus 91 Tor. It is used by Swedish army ranger units. Sweden isn´t really a tropical country ..... :)

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Well the burner arrived yesterday and i got some gas today. The whole thing works realy well. Controllable flame, hot burn etc. All apart from one thing. Now that iv'e connected the gas canister i can't take it off untill it's empty which means i can't nest the trangia. So the whole thing takes up 3 times the room it did before :banghead:

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Did you buy the proper trangia gas converter (which I think is just a Primus Easyfuel without legs)? - there's no reason why it can't be undone from partially used cannister.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The conversion kit for the Nova or Primus Varifuel costs £6.50 from www.base-camp.co.uk its a two minute job to do the conversion

Simmering on a Trangia, just practise with the simmer ring, you can get around an hours burn on a fill of alcohol

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
bikething said:
is there a conversion for the whisperlite (international) then :confused:

Something like this:

15-5.jpg

15-4.jpg

15.jpg

15-3.jpg

15-2.jpg

15-1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE