gap year

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
end of school is aproaching and i was wondering if any of you guys have done anything similar to this idea, and would like to share some info tips, and warnings.

as i am aproaching the end of my a-levels i was hoping i could take a year out and do bushcrafty things, for one year, like trying somehting similar to monty halls great escape,
i was thinking of trying to forage/hunt on a peice of land and set up a base camp there. as well as doing a couple expeditions further afield.

if tyhis sounds completely anachievable what would be a more suitable alternativ?

Lonja

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I had a gap year and went to Kenya snake hunting for the Nairobi Snake Park. Best time of my life and I should have gone with my heart and continued that interest rather than carrying on with Law. Never used my Law degree and it took me 15 years to get back into herpetology again.

You do come back changed after doing something like that, and you gain great life experience.

echobelly

Jan 10, 2010
South Korea
Definitely do it!

Slightly different situation, but I left school at 16, worked and then returned to education in my twenties.

Education is important, but so too is life experience. It will be so refreshing to take a break, live a little and then continue with your education if you then wish.

It will change your life. You will mature and look at things differently. This will set you apart from other students once you graduate and try to gain employment.

Good luck and enjoy

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
Do it while you can and have as much fun as possible! You can get a boring 9-5 job in the 40 odd years your are going to have to work after your twenties! As Jonathan said, follow your heart. You're in a great position that many of us would be eager to swap with so chase your dreams, nobody else will do it for you.

As for inspiration and doing similar stuff, take a look at the blog that I have followed, it gets really interesting from March 09 to now.

http://huntergathercook.typepad.com/huntergathering_wild_fres/2009/03/index.html

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE