Game of thrones books. Disapointed!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Loved and I do mean loved the tv series. Loved the first book read after watching season 1 and 2 so knew what to expect. Also loved all the Tolkein I have read LOTR, The Hobbit and Silmarillion. When I was a kid I too loved CS Lewis's Narnian Chronicles but when I attempted to revisit the Lion, the witch and the wardrobe as an adult the Magic has gone.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I gave up on book one. I found his style very annoying. I tried to read it as was told it was excellent, but after four chapters I could take no more.... I may well try again after watching the EXCELLENT Tv series though....

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Back in literature class I struggled to read Faulkner. Now he's one of my favorites. Not exactly fantasy though as he was telling fictionalized versions from his childhood.

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Intelligent fantasy/science fiction? try Mary Gentle, Steven Erikson, or the recently departed Iain M. Banks.

Agree with you on Golden Witchbreed (Mary Gentle) but Ancient Light drove me nuts! If I'd been Lynne Christie I'd have killed the company woman within ten minutes so I've been chary of trying others by her. Banks has never done it for my either and I don't know Erikson but I understand he's a mate of Donaldson who I don't like either. And although I admire Terry Pratchet I find him dull and his characters boring !!!

Ursula le Guin (except when in extreme feminist mode) and Terri windling do it for me, so does Heinlein and quite a lot of Herbert especially Dosadi Experiment, Santaroga Barrier, Green Brain and the original Dune book but none of its sequels, and Roger Zelazny. I like some Anne Mccaffrey, some Sheri Tepper, some Patrcia Wrede, prob others but brain's awash. Asimov and Clarke can't write althlough they have good ideas, like in Naked Sun and Childhood's End.

May have a re-read of GOT after reading John's opinion, not read for 20-ish years ... wonder how I'll like them now ???

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
Stick with the book John, it gets better.

And if in doing so, you get a taste for the treacle, try Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the fallen series, another uphill trudge that is with the journey to the summit.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Agree with you on Golden Witchbreed (Mary Gentle) but Ancient Light drove me nuts! If I'd been Lynne Christie I'd have killed the company woman within ten minutes so I've been chary of trying others by her. Banks has never done it for my either and I don't know Erikson but I understand he's a mate of Donaldson who I don't like either. And although I admire Terry Pratchet I find him dull and his characters boring !!!

Ursula le Guin (except when in extreme feminist mode) and Terri windling do it for me, so does Heinlein and quite a lot of Herbert especially Dosadi Experiment, Santaroga Barrier, Green Brain and the original Dune book but none of its sequels, and Roger Zelazny. I like some Anne Mccaffrey, some Sheri Tepper, some Patrcia Wrede, prob others but brain's awash. Asimov and Clarke can't write althlough they have good ideas, like in Naked Sun and Childhood's End.

May have a re-read of GOT after reading John's opinion, not read for 20-ish years ... wonder how I'll like them now ???

Heinlein is interesting but repetitive, and eventually his politics get annoying. Nice to see a mention of Sheri Tepper, who can be excellent. Don't like Anne McCaffrey at all (very shallow characters) but my wife does. Erikson doesn't write like Donaldson at all. Ancient Light is possibly my favourite book, just because of the ending. For a different Mary Gentle, try Rats and Gargoyles, specifically as an introduction to the character valentine White Crow. I can loan you some if you like. Her short stories are excellent too. If you can find her, have a read of Chelsea Quinn Yarbro.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE