Gaiter recommendations please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I have some decent goretex gaiters I've had for a few years and they're fine, but a bit noisey and not very spark resistant. I'd like some quality canvas gaiters, anyone have any recommendations? I'm not too fussed about "storm-proof" but bramble-proof is a must.

ta.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Barbour made some last season. Not sure if they're still around, but if they've been dropped from the range then they may well show up in some of the clearance outlets such as www.johnnorris.co.uk. I generally wear a pair of Macpac classic gaiters made from the "Aztec" fabric used in their heavy-duty rucksacks. It's a polycotton mix impregnated with resin, very tough and canvas-like. Proof to just about everything aside from mice, as my nattily repaired examples will show. Macpac clothes are becoming more easily available in the UK now so you probably won't have to send away to New Zealand as I did.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Try the old british army issue canvas ones, I've tried loads (including Yeti's) but for general use they are the best thaught-out and made that I have come across. Decent zip, canvas that is stiff enough not to fall down, underfoot wires and neoprene strap and buckles ( easier to undo with numb fingers than untying knots in wet para-cord), probably the cheapest too, at uner £10.00.
Neil1

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
Somewhere else you might like to try is Peglers of Arundel. They sell plain olive cotton gaiters for approx £20. They also sell a gortex type gaiter for the same price, in plain green again, which are very good - I use these and they don't rustle at all. Both gaiters are with an underfoot elastic bungee. Peglers number is: 01903 883375. The company is very good in that they only charge you what the postage actually costs them.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I opted for the army gaiters (thanks Neil) and they are perfect, just what I was looking for, built to last and be abused, tough (not sure how weatherproof they are, but they look like they will do the job). Bargain for £6 quid. One problem though, they are a little tight fitting around the calf and at the top. The website didn't offer any sizing options, so I assumes they were "one size fits all (soldiers)" sort of thing. Do they come in different sizes? These are just about OK with just a pair of trousers, but any kind of thermals would render them uncomfottably tight.

oggaiters.jpg

PEDRO

Jan 26, 2004
NORTH YORKSHIRE
Martyn said:
I opted for the army gaiters (thanks Neil) and they are perfect, just what I was looking for, built to last and be abused, tough (not sure how weatherproof they are, but they look like they will do the job). Bargain for £6 quid. One problem though, they are a little tight fitting around the calf and at the top. The website didn't offer any sizing options, so I assumes they were "one size fits all (soldiers)" sort of thing. Do they come in different sizes? These are just about OK with just a pair of trousers, but any kind of thermals would render them uncomfottably tight.

oggaiters.jpg

I got mine in dpm (no other choice but I dont mind..I like to practice being visualy none polluting) :wave: mine look as if there made as the same breathable material as my jacket (gortex) only more robust..£15-00...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE