Gadget Show Emergency Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pryderi

Aug 6, 2005
Dorset and Wales
I've been lurking on these forums for a while and find them very informative.

I was wondering if anyone can help me with the following...
There was a "survival challenge" a few weeks back on Channel Five's Gadget Show. Basically they dumped each of the presenters in the Brecons Beacons with some cheap kit, some mid range kit and some expensive kit. The bloke with the cheap kit had an emergency sleeping bag which was compressed to the size of a video. It opened up into a sort of padded space blanket type sleeping bag. Dayglo orange on the outside and sliver on the inside. Unfortunately they didn't say who made them (nor is it on their website) does anyone know who makes these and/or have any experience of them. Apparently they cost about 25 quid.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I saw part of the show, apparently they got the local fire brigade to test if it was waterproof !
He stayed dry.

He also did pretty well with the map and compass I think.

I'd be interested to know who makes these as well.

Mark

Pryderi

Aug 6, 2005
Dorset and Wales
I came across the Blizzard Bag searching on the net after the program. Only trouble is they only seem to do them in sliver and olive. The one the presenter had on the program was definitely dayglo orange (mind I am getting older so the memory may be failing me)

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
http://www.land-shark.com/Land-Sea-Main.htm

From above site:
If you're stranded on the ground, a LAND/Shark can save your life!

Land.jpg

For use on land, the LAND/Shark provides a waterproof one person emergency shelter large enough to provide full body coverage, even over heavy outerwear. It is tough enough to withstand the rigors of a survival situation, yet light enough to not be a burden to carry. The LAND/Shark is a large fully-enclosed shelter (not just a blanket). It is large enough for an adult plus a small child, small pack or other gear.

Natural materials can be incorporated if available to enhance the insulating properties inherent in its design and construction. Slitting the side seams turns it into a versatile tarp or emergency shelter.

The extremely bright International Orange side makes an excellent emergency signal, readily visible from the air. In a desert environment, it not only provides vital shade, but its thermal reflectivity effectively repels the sun's deadly rays, providing improved performance over a simple shade shelter.

In the water, a LAND/Shark will extend your survival time several fold!

Sea.jpg

For water survival, the LAND/Shark completely encloses the survivor (with a life vest on), up and over the head, and without impairing any other functions. The drawstring can be adjusted as necessary to protect the survivor from injesting sea water in rough seas. With the rate of body heat loss 25 times greater in the water than air, the bag serves to slow the drain of vital body heat and provides protection from chilling sea spray and breaking waves. This should significantly extend survival times. The aluminized material is radar reflective for search aircraft and high speed vessels moving at night. In warmer waters where the sun is a danger to exposed skin above the water, the bag can be configured to provide for shade and ventilation.

The waterproof construction of the LAND/Shark functions as a deterrent to shark attacks by preventing body odors, waste and blood from entering the open waters and attracting these deadly predators. In addition, the voluminous bag alters the shape of the survivor and reduces flailing movements, presenting a less attractive appearance to predators. The LAND/Shark also provides complete protection from venomous jellyfish, Portuguese Man-of-War and sea snakes. A tether is incorporated to ensure survivors stay together.

Features
Specifications

Also available in stealth :eek:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Having just looked at the sea/shark specs I would like to point out that you would be much better off with a blizzard bag.

The Sea/Shark bag essentially relies on the same marketing nonsense used to sell space blankets: "reflects 80% of radiated body heat"

sounds impressive until you realise how little of the bodies heat is lost though radiation when compared to conduction and convection, to prevent loss of heat though conduction and convection you need insulation, something the Sea/Shark doesn’t provide but the Blizzard bag does.

the blizzard bag accomplishes this by using the best insulator available AIR. by creating a trapped layer of still air around the body (the same way as down creates billions of tiny pockets of still air around the body when lofted)

reflexcell_02.gif

Information on how the blizzard bag works can be seen here: http://www.blizzardprotectionsystems.com/reflexcell/reflexcell_6.html

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
It does look like the Blizzard bag in terms of it didn't need a tent or other shelter around it but I'm sure the program said it was about £25.
It looks like the Blizzard bag is twice that...

Mark

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
http://www.blizzardprotectionsystems.com/acatalog/index.html#prod_bag

24.99 here.

I've used these as a sleeping bag on two alpine ascents for weight saving ;) and allways carry one in the mountains!They're ok - like a 3 season bag (8 tog if you want to get technical) One thing to remember though is they come vacuum-packed at about the size of a video....... great! but once you break the seal and use it your stuck with something the size of a 3 seazon down sleeping bag! Beware the size change! They say you can get it down to near original size using a Hoover but I've tried that and it didn't work for me! You can send them back to have them re-vacuum-packed (for a small fee of course) or at least they used to let you.... but then I popped in to where they make them personally. :confused:
:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE