G mills Patriot Bushcrafter Reveiw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Is there anything you didn't like about the knife Josh? Anything you would like to see done differently or better?

It's a good review, but one thing that springs to my mind on watching it, is the rivet holding the belt loop on. Does that contact the handle inside the sheath? The knife looks pretty highly buffed out, how is the spine for striking steels? Are the stitches on the sheath recessed into a grove to avoid abrasion?

Oh, and how much did you pay for the knife?

sorry just got back from doing another video,

anyway lets put this bias thing to rest.

id prefer higher grinds, but that just me, it takes away a bit of solidness away from the knife which i think its all about. i liked the sheath alot, i dont realy like danglers personaly, but i would like a firesteel loop, for me thats quite an important feature, my main user has no Guard so this one takes some getting used to, its a feature of the knife that works well, however it will work great for some and not so great for others.

the spine is ok for striking firesteels, but because its mirror polished its not quite as sharp as others ive used, then again it still throws a good shower of sparks.

as for price, £180, great service, she arrived very nicley presented with an authenticity cert and some nice details ect, full design options aswell, when i was talking through the Scales with Gary he gave lots of options, i was a cheeky buggar and asked for a mirror polish lol.

and please dont accuse me of a bias reveiw, i paid for the knife fair and square, so lets all not make such a fuss.

as for the MOD team, can i ask rather than removing or locking this thread as i hope it doesnt go, can you please just delete all comments leading off topic.

at the end of the day, all my critisisums are personally based, i found nothing wrong with the knife, a couple of scratches on the pins if you want to nit pick, but thats about it.

Last edited:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
sorry just got back from doing another video,

anyway lets put this bias thing to rest.

id prefer higher grinds, but that just me, it takes away a bit of solidness away from the knife which i think its all about. i liked the sheath alot, i dont realy like danglers personaly, but i would like a firesteel loop, for me thats quite an important feature.

the spine is ok for striking firesteels, but because its mirror polished its not quite as sharp as others ive used, then again it still throws a good shower of sparks.

as for price, £180, great service, she arrived very nicley presented with an authenticity cert and some nice details ect, full design options aswell, when i was talking through the Scales with Gary he gave lots of options, i was a cheeky buggar and asked for a mirror polish lol.

as for the MOD team, can i ask rather than removing or locking this thread as i hope it doesnt go, can you please just delete all comments leading off topic.

Thanks Josh, I appreciate that.

Mate, If you've ponied up for the knife yourself, please do say so when you post these reviews, as it avoids all this crap. Equally, if you have been given the knife, just say so. It's no big deal, it just lets people know where they stand.

How about the rivet, does it contact the handle?

Last edited:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
the fact is its HIS PERSONAL OPINION you'd have to be thick to go out and buy a knife based on what a stranger says about it. josh does loads of reviews but of the 2 i've seen on here (the other one being the fish hunter catapult), YOU'VE been consistently slagging them off

Every single review ever written is a personal opinion. It's big business.

Yeah, I disagreed with the other review too - sorry. But there ya go eh.

Last edited:

leon-1

Guys, this is getting very tiresome.

Martyn asked valid questions and Josh seems not to have a problem with them, so why can't people let it drop???

Preferably now.

The original poster has asked that this be edited and not locked.

Josh for the minute at least you get your wish, but if people continue to post dross then the thread will be locked.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Thanks Josh, I appreciate that.

Mate, If you've ponied up for the knife yourself, please do say so when you post these reviews, as it avoids all this crap. Equally, if you have been given the knife, just say so. It's no big deal, it just lets people know where they stand.

How about the rivet, does it contact the handle?

a fair pointer for the future.

i assume you mean the rivit in the sheath??

just checked and nope, not that i can tell, no scratches on the handle either.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
erm, you've deleted my appolgy but not my origional post that offended some! That doesn't make much sense.

Could you either put it back or if we're not free to voice our opinions then kindly remove my first post too please.

Last edited:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
yep it was a review
But some guys i think have nothing better to do then run other peoples work down

I think the problem is that if only the good things are focused on, then the question becomes is it an advertisement or a review. This is something we have to sort out all the time here.

Personally I tend to be very selective about the knives I review so my reviews may tend to appear like advertisements. But they are not. I don't waste my time reviewing knives that I think are crap to begin with.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Reviewing is a tough trade - and one I do for a living!
I tend to be very selective about what I chose to review and try to put in some "negative" points in every review (where I find them!) but sometimes the tight word counts I am constrained by do not give space for very minor "nit picking".
If something is TOTAL carp it goes back to the supplier so that thay can sort out the problem...be it a "one off" fault or something more fundimental....
SO - some reviews come out like adverts.
Mostly I do not pay for the review sample, and I get to keep it, and I get paid to do the testing. As I say - I do this for a living.
But would magazines keep using my work if I just gave everything (carp included) a good review? I dont think the readership would let them!
Equally - if I slated everything then the advertisers would pull out from the mags...
Totally honest, "warts and all" reviews are the only realistic way to go.
As to the knife review here - not a bad review at all, though with no word count restrictions then I think that you could have found something to crit :)
It might have saved some of the hassle :)
It looks a pretty good knife - but not to my taste I am afraid...too shiny and I like a slimmer grip and I am not fond of synthetic handles....
Keep up the good work!

Firebringer

Jun 5, 2009
Scotland
When it comes to reviews, I think the best I've ever seen is done re computer games.
Zero Punctuation Escapist Magazine are hilarious. I won't post a link in a family friendly forum because some of his humour can be a bit adult. The reviews are short animated cartoons and better than most of the 'Gamerz' drivel on TV.

I don't mind if a review is unfailingly positive or negative for that matter. I do agree with some comments though that making it clear that as in this case SF paid for the item is important. Certainly it counters the suspicions that Free Gear = Good Review.

I hope SF keeps making his review videos and doesn't get put off by negativity. An obvious passion for bushcraft shouldn't be soured by antagonistic comments.

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
Why don't we get Gary to make one then 18 of us could put a tenner each in the kitty and after the passaround have a raffle.........Perhaps Gary might do a special and let us have it for a special price.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE