G.I.O Thread & Postage

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Thinking about what Biker said regarding postage, I've just had a few thoughts...it's a dangerous occurence and doesn't happen very often so bare with me.

A thread (modify this thread if you wish) with:

- links to various courier companies as Royal Mail isn't always the cheapest way to send
- links to postage comparision sites, a quick google brings a few, http://www.myparceldelivery.com as an example

Further to the above, what would thoughts be of having a BCUK central postal pot? much the the normal donate to BCUK system but specifically for posting items as it's the members of BCUK that benefit from the G.I.O thread. Dependant on people's views, what about a donation of 50p to the postal pot for each G.I.O item? taker does the donation?

What are others thoughts on this?

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
sounds like it would make life very complicated, good old royal mail does a stirling job 99.9% of the time and at very reasonable rates and daily deliverys, don't see the problem really.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Just a thought, a 2kg packet/parcel sent 1st class via royal mail is around £8 (Std Parcel rate: £5.30), same parcel through the search engine is £3, saving of £5 (Std Parcel: £2) or thereabouts.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
As the husband of a seasoned ebayer, I've learnt it pays to shop around when sending anything over a certain weight. However, for convenience royal mail is a safe bet.
Also check eBay for couriers too.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
As the husband of a seasoned ebayer, I've learnt it pays to shop around when sending anything over a certain weight. However, for convenience royal mail is a safe bet.
Also check eBay for couriers too.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

Courier in this area rate from Brilliant to rubbish. Much depends on the drivers but I still prefer stuff sent by Royal Mail

marooned

Settler
Jul 25, 2010
Somerset
I think just shop around. A central postage pot would be too complicated. Also it is up to the gifter what they offer. If they offer something big and bulky they will know if may be more expensive than a smaller item. I think it should be UK only though as international postage will be extortionate. If an overseas bushcrafter would really like the item I guess they could request it but wait for the gifter to agree or decline.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
As we are talking about 'Gift it on' postage costs, if you are too tight to lay out for the postage, don't say "i'll have it" without thinking that you wont have to pay postage or give something away without reward. It is a free gift at the cost of the giver. It does have hidden costs masked by peoples generosity.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE