Full Tang in Nalgene Bottle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Vaseline doesn't have a negative effect to food isn't it?

If I eat it, it doesn't matter?

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
It has a sort of mildly aperient effect apparently if you eat a dollop, and I have seen that recommended .. though no idea where. But otherwise no ill effects ... I don't think so.

Having said that some pharmacies in the UK stopped selling mineral oil (which is what I usually use for knives etc, as it doesn't taste) ... and I think it is similar stuff to vaseline, with the same laxative properties if you eat like a tablespoon of it.

I never did hear a good reason for why it wasn't sold in Boots etc, and it is easily available in Canada .. so, maybe that's OK too. Anyway, I am fine and have been using it for years.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
It has a sort of mildly aperient effect apparently if you eat a dollop, and I have seen that recommended .. though no idea where. But otherwise no ill effects ... I don't think so.

Having said that some pharmacies in the UK stopped selling mineral oil (which is what I usually use for knives etc, as it doesn't taste) ... and I think it is similar stuff to vaseline, with the same laxative properties if you eat like a tablespoon of it.

I never did hear a good reason for why it wasn't sold in Boots etc, and it is easily available in Canada .. so, maybe that's OK too. Anyway, I am fine and have been using it for years.
I remember reading somewhere many moons ago that the person whom marketed vasaline used to have it on bread....?

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@MrEd

Please check if the Brisa Trapper 95 fits in it!
If possible with sheath of course, because I want to put also a poncho into the bottle and need to avoid that the knife destroys the poncho.

Like this we would reach here a really serious dimension.

And if it fits, please tell me if it's the maximum or if there would be even more space.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
@MrEd

Please check if the Brisa Trapper 95 fits in it!
If possible with sheath of course, because I want to put also a poncho into the bottle and need to avoid that the knife destroys the poncho.

Like this we would reach here a really serious dimension.

And if it fits, please tell me if it's the maximum or if there would be even more space.

okay will do but bear in mind the sheath I made myself and is ‘chunky’ you could probably make a much more slimline sheath.

I just got in from work, will get the knife out after dinner :)

Reactions: Erbswurst

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
@Erbswurst

the trapper I have doesn’t fit I am afraid. It’s a touch long. Although I thought I had the trapper 95 but I actually have a trapper 115 so the 95 might fit, but if I am
Honest I don’t think the 95 will fit in a nalgene in a sheath. 20mm isn’t much to ‘play’ with with a knife in a sheath.

tip of blade to end of handle it is 208mm for the knife I have.

The Nalgene bottle is 195mm inside from the bottom to to rim.

what about something like the brisa elver? blade. We are talking survival here so a big chopper might not be necessary.

or the brisa necker with a 70mm blade. I think both give you a bit more room to have a sheath.

if you buy them as a blade blank you could fit some real slim scales aswell to save s

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Lionsteel M1 or M4
Fällkniven WM1 and TK6
Brisa Elver
and Terävä Jääkäripuukko 85

currently seem to be the most serious survival knifes that could probably fit with the other stuff into the bottle.

(Perhaps I forgot one, I am pretty tired now and will check all mentioned knifes in the end ones more.)

There are a lot of 70 mm blade neck knifes on the market. But 85 cm is simply a different size.

The usual Victorinox knife, Climber, Compact, Spartan for example has 68mm blades.

The Opinel No8 has 8,5 cm blade length.

Who used both knows that the 1,5 cm difference in length make a huge difference in the use of it.

But did you count wrong, or don't I understand you right?

Your knife is 2 cm longer, not 1 cm, than the Brisa 95.

The 95 could fit. It's obviously directly at the border.
There is a bit of extra space in the lid!

195 mm or 197 mm to the rim + 7 mm in the lid seem to be the inner dimensions of the bottle. 202 mm or 204 mm space if the knife sits really vertically.

Last edited:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Lionsteel M1 or M4
Fällkniven WM1 and TK6
Brisa Elver
and Terävä Jääkäripuukko 85

currently seem to be the most serious survival knifes that could probably fit with the other stuff into the bottle.

(Perhaps I forgot one, I am pretty tired now and will check all mentioned knifes in the end ones more.)

There are a lot of 70 mm blade neck knifes on the market. But 85 cm is simply a different size.

The usual Victorinox knife, Climber, Compact, Spartan for example has 68mm blades.

The Opinel No8 has 8,5 cm blade length.

Who used both knows that the 1,5 cm difference in length make a huge difference in the use of it.

But did you count wrong, or don't I understand you right?

Your knife is 2 cm longer, not 1 cm, than the Brisa 95.

The 95 could fit. It's obviously directly at the border.
There is a bit of extra space in the lid!

195 mm or 197 mm to the rim + 7 mm in the lid seem to be the inner dimensions of the bottle. 202 mm or 204 mm space if the knife sits really vertically.
Correct, blade length is 2cm longer than the 95 but overall knife length I don’t know for the trapper 95 - those measurements are for my knife (a trapper 115). I edited my post above, sorry

I also must apologise I mistakenly thought I had a trapper 95, it wasn’t until I measured the blade I realised it was a 115.

The other dimensions I have put, the knife was stood vertically in the nalgene, without a sheath. I could *almost* get the lid on the threads but not quite.
if the trapper 95 has the same length handle but a shorter blade I think it will fit.

On another note I hope the 95 doesn’t have a shorter handle as the handle on the trapper 115 is only just long enough in my opinion

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I found in the internet the following mathematical incorrect measures:

Brisa Trapper 115
Blade 11.3 cm
Handle 11.1 cm
Over all 22.3 cm (without sheath)

Brisa Trapper 95
Blade 9.7 cm
Handle 11.1 cm
Over all 21 cm (without sheath)

Nalgene stainless steel bottle inside height max 204 mm.

There are missing only 6 mm vertically.

If we put in the knife without sheath a bit diagonal it probably will fit.

interesting to me is if it fits also with sheath.

Did nobody here buy a Trapper 95???

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Brisa Trapper blank O1

Trapper-O1-1.jpg

Reactions: Erbswurst and MrEd

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think it's a good idea to wrap duck tape around the handle. Like this it's on board for improvised repairs, as tinder and protects the hand in cold conditions against freezing to the steel.

A folded leather sheath can probably be made like this, that it fits into the bottle if the knife is in the sheath.

Or it goes there additional and we wrap duck tape also around the blade, what isn't lovely but effective if this should be used really exclusively in emergencies.
And if necessary one could saw away a few mm of the tang.

This blade exists in a scandi grind version too.

Who really needs such a survival bottle should probably just do it like this.

:encourage:

Most of us will see the idea more as a game or would gift it as a starter kit to a beginner.

In this case the Brisa Trapper 95 would be a very interesting option, because for a youngster the size of this knife would be a pretty good recommendation. And with currently 115 € this lovely knife is still affordable.
(The before mentioned other knives are good options too of course in this case, especially the cheaper Terävä Jääkäripuukko.)

So the question stays if the Brisa Trapper 95 scandi and the Terävä Jääkäripuukko 85 fit into the Nalgene stainless steel bottle or not, if they are in the delivered leather sheath.

If we mainly see it as a starter kit, as a Christmas gift for a youngster, the question if the Defcon 5 poncho really fits into the bottle and together with one of this knifes becomes pretty academic.
If not, it doesn't really matter in this case.

But I will continue to follow this idea, buy the stuff and try it out.

If you get the option to try if one of the following knifes fit, please inform us here about the result!

And also if you could try it with another similar knife of approximately 85 mm to 95 mm blade length. It should fit with the delivered sheath!

Without the poncho all the other stuff that I listed above surely will fit additional to the knife into the bottle.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrEd and Billy-o

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I have managed to find my klean kanteen bottle for comparison, the trapper 95 fits into the Klean kanteen 40oz bottle easily, but not the nalgene.

Also the standard casstrom sheath, which is similar to the trapper sheath, does not fit. My trapper 95 is in a custom sheath, that is slimline.

Hope that helps.....get the knife, a new sheath and a different bottle.....or go with the coldsteel mini pendleton or one of the other options

24d7b27e58d2ed5fdf8a3cb7a3ee3620.jpg
612b96d5fb99376c3f8bcce2bceee0c0.jpg
0c8548e66bf4e9ad6fe44734cfc92b4d.jpg
e9976383a3a3636c759d84bc199976e4.jpg
399ae2eb60f5d49854c14a06032e902d.jpg

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Thank you very much!

That is really informative!

So, if we want to get a plug and play standard solution we have to look at the smaller ones or take the Klean Kanteen.

But I really like the deep notch at the Nalgene!
It would be possible to attach a wire around the neck of the Klean Kanteen, that holds two rings where I could hook in a thin stainless steel rope to hang the bottle over a fire.

But the Nalgene bottle offers with the deep notch around the neck of course the nicer solution.
It's already better thought through.

Do the openings of both bottles have the same diameter?

Last edited:

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I was told that new stainless Jääkäripuukkos exist and are on the way to the store I am not quite sure if that includes the 85 too or if that will be added a bit later. The new big puukkos apparently have an almost full tang, like the present 85.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE