Full Tang in Nalgene Bottle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Had a look at my smaller knives this morning, as with survival kits, you need to be able to put other things in the bottle. So looking at the knives to hand.

8ada6956a0424432cc003e291f0969d1.jpg

The following jump out as more suited for the intended kit.

Shing Bush baby
Esee izula 2
Mora classic 2/0
Coldsteel pendleton mini hunter

e4b4f9a01a9aea78d58d22a4c172f078.jpg

Coldsteel pendleton mini hunter, would be my choice, vg1 steel (can also get 3v), full tang, 3 inch blade, 4 inch handle, and although small and slim in design, you can really use it, and I have not had any hotspots in hand in use

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Is inside the handle of the Lionsteel M4 a solid tang or a skeleton version?

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Fällkniven TK6 has an 8 cm blade.
That's a strong competition to the Terävä and Brisa.

If this should becomes a Christmas Gift, as a starter kit for a youngster, the Lionsteel M1 and the Cold Steel Pendleton Mini Hunter seem to be a good choice.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
The Fällkniven TK6 has an 8 cm blade.
That's a strong competition to the Terävä and Brisa.

If this should becomes a Christmas Gift, as a starter kit for a youngster, the Lionsteel M1 and the Cold Steel Pendleton Mini Hunter seem to be a good choice.
The Cold Steel Pendleton Mini Hunter, can be had at £40 in vg1 and £90 in 3v. With discount codes expect anywhere between 4 - 10 pounds less on those prices.

As for the in hand, I have large sized hands, and no discomfort. I have handled the M1, and although nice, I felt personally it lacked for the price point, compared to other blades in that price range. Plus you can get the M4 for the same price.....

Reactions: Erbswurst

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Just a thought, but does the knife HAVE to go inside the bottle? Why not attach it to the outside with a couple of ranger bands of some gaffer tape? That way you have more room inside the bottle, plus your kit includes the bands/tape as a bonus.

Dave

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Just a thought, but does the knife HAVE to go inside the bottle? Why not attach it to the outside with a couple of ranger bands of some gaffer tape? That way you have more room inside the bottle, plus your kit includes the bands/tape as a bonus.
While alone this works there is a tendency for kit creep. How to attach PALS to the bottle? Just an extra this and that. Very few tapes and rubber bands work on -45 - +45 C range.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The question is a good one of course.

The most important question behind is:

How do we carry that bottle around?

If we put it in a bottle carrying bag with shoulder strap, we also can put for example the Mora Garberg in it or another full sized survival knife.

But we don't really need it for usual situations. Such a small knife is absolutely OK if it's constructed strong enough.
Most of us would surely survive even with a sharp pocket knife instead of it. I know enough of old boy scout leaders who just use since many years an Opinel No7 Carbone.

But I want to pack together the best possible equipment: Quality instead of quantity.
Less is more!

I think here more about situations where people get stranded with a usual little rucksack with other daily life stuff, where the bottle was always carried in.
Let's say a bus breaks down somewhere.

The bottle keeps the survival kit securly together in daily life.

And as we see, we already get the essentials in it. If it's possible to fit also the Defcon 5 poncho in it I simply have to try out in the end.

The astonishing point is, that nowadays some high quality equipment became so small, that we perhaps really get in the end a well working survival equipment into a 1 litre bottle. And this point interests me simply theoretically, because the stuff I listed above is all you need to hike out of a dangerous situation if you are skillfull enough.

If we add a basic fishing equipment and a few wire snares doesn't really change the volume. But I wouldn't waste my time with it and walk out as fast as possible in most situations I can imagine. With such a light equipment it's easily possible to walk 150 km in 3 days in usual weather conditions. Where wouldn't I find a village or a street if marching such a long way? One just needs to keep a direction with the compass until one finds a road to follow or a stream, the stream floats to a house for sure, the street connects them anyway.

Should we get such a complete equipment into the bottle, we could create the international survival bottle challenge, 100 km in 3 days through the wildest parts of England, Germany or central France with just a bottle and it's content.
That would be a strong argument against the increasing current gear hysteria.

;)

The equipment above enables experienced bushcrafters to do it. Decades ago I already tried out a similar short packing list, but the stuff was bigger of course.
I had the stuff in a rucksack, not in a bottle!

So my question isn't how to carry a survival equipment, my question is what fits into a 1 litre stainless steel bottle.

Last edited:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
With such a light equipment it's easily possible to walk 150 km in 3 days in usual weather conditions. Where wouldn't I find a village or a street if marching such a long way?

Without food? Hmm, I don't know about that. I regularly walk 20k with the dog, but could eat the contents of the garbage by the time I get home I am that famished, even when having nibbled on snacks along the route. Walking 50k in a day, I wouldn't be in a clear-headed and buoyant mood at all the next morning if I hadn't eaten the day before. :lol: I suppose then the question becomes, do you end up walking 150k all around in circles and fuddled up. Is there a little Etrex or similar kind of small GPS you can squeeze in there?

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If you hurry up, you walk 50 km in round about 8 hours and if you don't continue you have enough time in the evening to dig out a few wurms, caterpillars and insects for dinner or you just collect on the way edible plants and mushrooms to fill the stomach.

Plants which you can get easily usually have no high nutritional value, but that doesn't matter if you hurry up to get back into civilisation.

Most people are too fat anyway.

:cigar:

I listed above a high quality compass, the Silva Ranger SL. If one has an idea from which direction one did come usually it would be possible to run home with it.

Reactions: Billy-o

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Most people are too fat anyway.

Well that's a fact :)

So, you'll need something to keep your feet in good shape ... leukotape, sudocreme, for example ... or, put another way, duct tape and cottonwool/vaseline .... spare socks (doubling as mittens)

Over 50km, I'd count on a max of 5kph on the flat ... So, without a break, that's 10 hrs. With sitdowns, probably 12. For me, I mean. Literally, YMWV :lol:

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Don't mix your experiances with full luggage together with such an emergency situation!
We carry this bottle and perhaps a half empty 25 litres daypack in this scenario.

The Prussian army counted with 6 km/h, carrying a relatively light equipment. We talk about flat country, it's flat like a table here.

Most other armies counted with 5 km/h so far I am informed.

Yes fitting boots and good woolen hiking socks or good sport shoes are necessary, if not, one gets the first holes in the feet after 20 to 40 km, especially if one can't change the socks.

Without spare socks it's surely every 2 hours necessary to get off the boots and air out the socks for 15 to 20 minutes, keeping them on the feet to dry them by heat.

Or one just ignites a little fire.

Time to eat some bugs anyway.
:biggrin:

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Without food? Hmm, I don't know about that. I regularly walk 20k with the dog, but could eat the contents of the garbage by the time I get home I am that famished, even when having nibbled on snacks along the route. Walking 50k in a day, I wouldn't be in a clear-headed and buoyant mood at all the next morning if I hadn't eaten the day before. :lol: I suppose then the question becomes, do you end up walking 150k all around in circles and fuddled up. Is there a little Etrex or similar kind of small GPS you can squeeze in there?

Smallest would be a smart watch, I guess, they can have GPS and topo maps. But putting such a high value item in the bottle doesn't seem to make sense, you'd be wearing it if carrying the bottle.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
You carry a smartphone anyway.

I have internet connection independent street maps on the phone ("here" is it called). The function needs a lot of energy but for a rough orientation from time to time it would be OK.
It shows you where you are, the next streets and villages. That's all you need.

I see if I walk southwards for example I hit a road, the next village I reach if I turn to the right. After I kept this information in mind the battery even could get empty.
I just follow the compass.

The whole electronic stuff is nice to have but not 100% secure. I often enough didn't get GPS signals. I use a lot the smartphone navigation, and get the problem from time to time.

But I think as long as you don't walk in a circle, in most areas it doesn't really matter in which direction you walk, especially if you follow the first water you found.

Last edited:

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I do a few catchment walkovers that are often 30 - 40km, which I have been known to do in a day, while carrying a backpack, GPS and a3 clipboard. I don't normally stop for breaks, as I want to finish and get home. But that normally takes me 7 - 9 hours to do, while at the same time annotating maps with landscape features.

So 50km in a day and not messing around with maps like I do, I can see that as a possible task. As for a small light weight kit to carry, I normally have this on me.

49a04f95a9dcc7bbc4920361bfd53e4e.jpg
3be8169a5a9ce43c50fdea3e4953d7a7.jpg
f35027622554b56b78eba938651e5fe1.jpg

If away from home, and doing a number of days in a row, walking catchments for work, I carry this kit with me...slightly bigger, and aimed as a last ditch kit when weather sets in and a long way from the car.

e172661edc089a090cec7134bf3aefa4.jpg
636d1465706e03b4214bb3e635b43d6d.jpg

I have needed it once, and have not used it all, but very handy car kit.

Last edited:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Yes, and stay upslope of the main flow of the water. I walk in a lot of ravines and they pass through some pretty built up areas. One isn't always aware of it when they do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE