Full North Star Review.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Adi007 said:
There is almost nothing in the world as personal as a knife handle - a handle that works for one person just doesn't work for another. Our hands are so sensitive and minute variances in size can feel enormous (just as a chipped tooth feels like a huge hunk of it is out if you feel it with your tongue). Equally, you'll find people who rave about Swiss Army Knives and multi tools (both which have, from an ergonomic point of view, awful handles) who won't like a knife because of the handle. The quest for the ultimate handle is, I think, one that will never be achieved and I think the closest fit all handle was the stacked leather handle on the Ka-Bar (but again that's my opinion).

I agree in part, at least that the perfect universal handle is probably a holy grail that will never be found. I think to get one perfect for you, you gotta go custom. But I also think that we are sufficiently similar, that a relatively universal handle is possible. Cetainly we should be able to (and do) make tools that most of us feel happy to use. I think if you can get 85% of people happy with it, then you've done a good job. If you've a 50/50 split, then you've missed the mark.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Martyn said:
No sweat RA. I was on my back foot, waiting for the onslaught of flames and I suppose a little defensive.

I dunno if you've read Mikes comments...

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?p=90588

It would seem the issue of handle size/shape has already been identified and a new model in the pipes. Great customer service from BRK&T - well done Mr Stewart. :biggthump

Yep, no need for flames as far as I can see. I wouldn't mind a larger handle on mine, but it's not a big deal one way or the other. It's a fine little knife. But then, I like a 9.00 SwAK real well too. :wink:

Oh yeah, I agree. Mike is 100% in my book. :biggthump

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Well I have to throw my lot in with Martyn on this one.

I found the whole knifes proportions to small for my liking to - quality isnt the issue just usability in Bushcraft and just like other brand name knifes some will love it some will loath it.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Apart from some initial use, has anybody here used the knife extensive and is able to comment on the edge retention? Does it stay sharp after one or more days of use in the forest?

-Emile

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Martyn said:
But I also think that we are sufficiently similar, that a relatively universal handle is possible.

I'm sure Dave Barker will chip in here with a more accurate version, but isn't the Scandi "fat trout" handle, like on the original Mora, considered by many to be a universal handle?

I certainly find that type of handle to be extremely usable - I can't abide a handle that restricts the ways I can use a knife

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Martyn said:
But I also think that we are sufficiently similar, that a relatively universal handle is possible.
I'm not sure about that - maybe bare hands under certain conditions but if you factor in cold weather, heat, humidity, water and any number of other enviromental factors then I think that you are looking at a range of handles. Then blade size comes into play ...

I tend to think that learning to use any knife is just as important as learning to use (or at least look for) the perfect knife.

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Martyn said:
Does yours have a thong thing on the back? If not, perhaps that explains some of the difference. I know when using the reverse grip, I had quite deep marks left in the heel of my palm from mine.

This is really making me look at the way I use a knife, instead of just doing it!! When I hold a knife in the reverse grip I have my fore-finger on the spine of the blade - how far over depends on how deep the choil is. On the NS my finger is almost at the far end of the row of ridges. Since I only have three fingers on the handle, it protudes considerably from my palm:

reverse.jpg

As I've said before, I don't find the chest-lever grip particularly comfortable - the hook on the handle does dig into my palm:

chest-lever.jpg

I find the blade a little too long for me when using the point:

point1.jpg

I'm not holding onto much of the handle :yikes:

point2.jpg

But, then again, I've got a custom-made knife for that sort of job :wink:

point3.jpg

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Martyn said:
Does yours have a thong thing on the back? If not, perhaps that explains some of the difference. I know when using the reverse grip, I had quite deep marks left in the heel of my palm from mine.

Have to agree, in reverse grip the thong loop really does dig in, with prolonged use in this position it could become a painful problem. If you try and hold the knife further up the handle, it's at a very awkward angle for cutting. I would certainly have this removed on future versions.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
familne said:
Have to agree, in reverse grip the thong loop really does dig in, with prolonged use in this position it could become a painful problem. If you try and hold the knife further up the handle, it's at a very awkward angle for cutting. I would certainly have this removed on future versions.

This was really the nub of what I wanted to say in the review. If the knife is designed for the job, then it should excell at it. I simply cant put my hand on my heart and say the knife is comfortable through a range of grips - it isn't.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
boaty said:
This is really making me look at the way I use a knife, instead of just doing it!! When I hold a knife in the reverse grip I have my fore-finger on the spine of the blade - how far over depends on how deep the choil is. On the NS my finger is almost at the far end of the row of ridges. Since I only have three fingers on the handle, it protudes considerably from my palm:

reverse.jpg

I move my grip around a lot, sometimes I choke up on the blade as in your pic, the knife was more comfortable like that, but I tend to hold it further back a lot too, and use my index finger wrapped round the neck of the handle. Like this, I found the neck was too thin for me and I was struggling to control the knife in a fluid way - the thong thing also dug into my palm quite significantly. I also found the curve of the whole knife awkward. As when holding as you are in the above pic, the tip lurches away from you. It just felt far from ideal in that orientation. I own several knives that do a much better job of it. If the knife is designed as a perfect bushcrafter, it shouldn't just be capable, it should excell in these kinds of holds - the NS doesnt.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
(Martyn, i just thought i may hav come across as argumentative! :wink:)

:yikes: Now I HAVE to look more closely, i can see that prolonged use in the backhand position maybe result in discomfort, but i'll have to give that a closer look this weekend.

Emile...it does retain a very, very good edge and for a long time too.

Gary said:
Well I have to throw my lot in with Martyn on this one.

I found the whole knifes proportions to small for my liking to - quality isnt the issue just usability in Bushcraft and just like other brand name knifes some will love it some will loath it.

Gary, are you still useing the Svord as no.1? How does the edge compare to that of the NS?

Cheers.

Jake

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I dont know Jake I sold the NS as I found it too small for comfortable use and as such never used it in any serious context.

Re the Svord the edge is still good although I did over sharpen it at one point which caused it to become so fine it rolled - not a major problem as a few strokes with the GB ice hockey puck sorted it out. One good thing with the svord is the blade has taken on a lot of character and now looks like a prop from Last of the Mohicans!! :biggthump

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Martyn said:
Does yours have a thong thing on the back? If not, perhaps that explains some of the difference.

I was rather dubious about people liking the thong loop and, although there was the option to have it removed on production, not many people opted to have it removed. It certainly seems to be more of a hinderance than a help.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cool :biggthump

Is it still your primary knife? Or are you using the vildmark (?) one?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I am using both actually - the Vildmark gets used as a neck knife if I'm hiking due to its size and sheath design (I keep forgetting to take it off - in Scotland I even went in a bank wearing it, no one batted an eye lid, fortunately the hat design means it doesnt look like a knife) and while I was testing it I used it on courses ect.

To be honest I do tend to pick it up more and more these days but for camping or as a camp knife I take the Svord.

My problem is I cant have more than one knife at a time or I get confused!!- thats why I sell so many on here and now that the Vildmark has passed its test I might even add that soon.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Well im thinking of getting myself a svord :roll: as it looks very nice and i've resisted so long so i figure that i deserve it :wink: .

Is the vildmark stick tang right?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Gary said:
I am using both actually - the Vildmark gets used as a neck knife if I'm hiking due to its size and sheath design (I keep forgetting to take it off - in Scotland I even went in a bank wearing it, no one batted an eye lid, fortunately the hat design means it doesnt look like a knife) and while I was testing it I used it on courses ect.

To be honest I do tend to pick it up more and more these days but for camping or as a camp knife I take the Svord.

My problem is I cant have more than one knife at a time or I get confused!!- thats why I sell so many on here and now that the Vildmark has passed its test I might even add that soon.
You are all allowed to give me this: :welcome: but what's that Vildmark knife we're talking about? :) :?: I did a search, but a disappointing one.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Jake Rollnick said:
Well im thinking of getting myself a svord :roll: as it looks very nice and i've resisted so long so i figure that i deserve it :wink: .

Is the vildmark stick tang right?

Yes Jake, stick tang and mosiac pin.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Stew said:
I was rather dubious about people liking the thong loop and, although there was the option to have it removed on production, not many people opted to have it removed. It certainly seems to be more of a hinderance than a help.

Yeah, it's pretty thin though, so will grind off easily - even if all you have is files. problem then is you wont have a thong loop. But for a discreet woodlands walker, you dont really need one.

Jake, start a new thread if you want to discuss the svord mate, or tag something onto an old svord thread. This thread is about the North Star, dont hijack it buddy. :offtopic:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
are there any ladies out there with a NS?

I keep thinking abou how this knife sounds perfect for younger people. I also keep thinking about the differency in womens hands and the idea that this might suit them better (in general)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE