Full North Star Review.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i think outdoorsgirl is probably a lady and she has a north star..

the north star is pretty much a 4 finger hold for me.. i think i must have little girl hands :roll:

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Sorry Martyn! I wasn't thinking about what i was doing!

And i also just realised i didn't answer your question from earlier. I have a lanyard loop and it seems out of the way in a backhand grip (ish). But not sure if it'll cause irritation, but again, i'll tell you come the weekend ;) :biggthump

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Andy might have a good point - the NS's delicate (in feel not use) nature might be more suited to smaller and possibly fairer hands although I would still have a problem with the handle shape ect ect ect.

Seems we need Kath or Outdoorgirl or one of the other ladies to shed some light here.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Saying i have girly hands? :rolmao:

I think it probably isn't all to do with size though, just technique...

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
:rolmao: DOH!!!

Thats probably the most stupid thing i have ever written. Ever. Ever. :oops:

:rolmao: :rolmao: :doh:

But guys...it's true...:shock:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
What have I started.

I started with ample size but little skill :shock:

Are we talking about bushcraft or potty training?

I'd be interested in the differences in handle shape as well as size that most women would get on beter with. For me one of the best handles I've ever used was a victorinox boning knife. When I designed a knife (mostly for fun) I ended up with a blade similar to the northstar but with a very different handle. It didn't look half as nice but I think would work well

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Martyn said:
Yeah, it's pretty thin though, so will grind off easily - even if all you have is files. problem then is you wont have a thong loop. But for a discreet woodlands walker, you dont really need one.

Obviously nothing can be done about it now without removing the scales but Mike predrilled the blanks with a separate lanyard hole in case anyone didn't like the loop.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Although I have a problem with the external lanyard loop digging a bit in the reverse grip, I suppose I could simply remove it given the alternative hollow rivet. I think some sent theirs back to Mike for removal and/or special ordered theirs that way in the first instance.

I have a bigger problem with sharp "bird's head" pommels in the reverse grip unless the handle is large enough so my hand fits above the bird's "beak." On that grounds, I traded away an otherwise satisfactory Allen Blade knife.

Mar 7, 2004
I doj't get it.

If woodworking is so important to bushcraft (and it is) why not carry a purpose built tool.

reg_slojd.jpg

Like that one from

http://www.pinewoodforge.com/catalog.html

Web

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Some do, frosts make an excellent carving knife which I use all the time.

However while carving wood is v important a good bushcraft knife also has other tasks to perform and as such needs to be bigger. Also remember that in a bushcraft knife we are looking for a reasonably good jack of all trades with the fundamental idea being our need to carry only one tool.

Carry less by having the right tool(s)

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Hi Web :wave:

I think the thrust of Martyn's critique is that he doesn't feel that the North Star is the mythical "one knife" for bushcraft

But then, Reid has also said that he finds it difficult to do some things with the North Star :?:

I've got a slojd knife by Frosts which is a nice little knife for intricate carving, but it doesn't always make its way onto my person

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE