Full North Star Review.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Jake Rollnick said:
But do you find the NS performs just as Martyn said?
I can't say. :wink: Don't own it. :wink: What I mean is that the review covers very well and goes deep and is honest.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Ive held one, and must say the handle was not for me my hand measures 7.5" from tip of middle finger to heel of hand and thumb tip to tip of little finger (pinkie :wink: ) measures 8.5" when hand is splayed out, it just didnt have the "feel" i like from a knife, neather the less a good quality nice looking knife....and thats a pukka review Martyn :biggthump

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Jake Rollnick said:

For what? Bushcraft? Casual carry? What is it that you are recommending the knife is suitable for? If you're just saying get one cos ya like it, that's easy - I can heartily recommend it on that basis too. But if you're advising people to spend thier money, you should maybe think about offering something a little deeper than "get one". ;)

Jake, my hands are of average size really. Turn the knife edge up and squeeze the handle. does the corners of the but-end and the thong hole thing not dig into your palm?

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Paganwolf said:
Ive held one, and must say the handle was not for me my hand measures 7.5" from tip of middle finger to heel of hand and thumb tip to tip of little finger (pinkie :wink: ) measures 8.5" when hand is splayed out, it just didnt have the "feel" i like from a knife, neather the less a good quality nice looking knife....and thats a pukka review Martyn :biggthump

Your hand size is identical to mine.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
(goes up-stairs....and then comes back down)

Well, not really. It seems to be ok, i think it's the way i grip it, quite difficult to explain but it fits me perfectly.

My hand sizes...

Tip of pinkie to tip of thumb 8 inches and 3/16ths!

Top of wrist to top of middle finger 7 inches and a half.

Width of palm 3 inches and a half.

:?:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Well bushcrafty type stuff i suppose! I tried al those grips you described and they all felt comfotable...and last time i was out it wasn't uncomfortable at all. But that could be because i wasn't using those grips much. I'll let you know this weekend!

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Jake Rollnick said:
Well bushcrafty type stuff i suppose! I tried al those grips you described and they all felt comfotable...and last time i was out it wasn't uncomfortable at all. But that could be because i wasn't using those grips much. I'll let you know this weekend!

Whatever jake, it doesnt matter really. Some will find it comfy, some wont. Some have already parted with thiers because they dont. Horses for courses. If you like it, fine. :biggthump.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I think that each individual will have their opinion on how a knife feels in their hand and they can base many assumptions on the knife when they do or do not like how it feels in the hand. What I would like to know and see is how the knife actually performs for the individual making the review and I didn't see any evaluation in the review for actual performance. Could you post your notes and photos on the performance of the knife? It will certainly help me to understand how you came to your conclusions and will also help me to learn some proper knife handling technique from an experienced Bushcrafter. :)

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
RovingArcher said:
I think that each individual will have their opinion on how a knife feels in their hand and they can base many assumptions on the knife when they do or do not like how it feels in the hand. What I would like to know and see is how the knife actually performs for the individual making the review and I didn't see any evaluation in the review for actual performance. Could you post your notes and photos on the performance of the knife? It will certainly help me to understand how you came to your conclusions and will also help me to learn some proper knife handling technique from an experienced Bushcrafter. :)

OK, I just edited this, because I realised my original reply was a little too curt to say the least. I'll give you the benefit here RA and assume you're not just wading in.

The pictures were omitted deliberately, because they prove nothing. Comments about performance are meaningless - how on earth do you test performance? I was not comparing it to anything else and dont doubt it can cut wood.

My comments were my opinion on how comfy the knife is, in various holds. That's it! take it or leave it.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hi Martyn, sorry mate! I wasn't trying to dis-agree in a heavy manner (not quite argumetative :wink:). Just was wondering whether it was the way we hold the "backhand" grip. Cos when i use it the NS doesn't really give me problems.

Does anyone with big hands think that the NS is a main carry Bushcraft knife?

:biggthump

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Jake Rollnick said:
Hi Martyn, sorry mate! I wasn't trying to dis-agree in a heavy manner (not quite argumetative :wink:). Just was wondering whether it was the way we hold the "backhand" grip. Cos when i use it the NS doesn't really give me problems.

Does anyone with big hands think that the NS is a main carry Bushcraft knife?

:biggthump

Jake, dont apologise for goodness sake. You are entitled to your opinion, just as i am mine. Neither is more or less valid. :biggthump

Does yours have a thong thing on the back? If not, perhaps that explains some of the difference. I know when using the reverse grip, I had quite deep marks left in the heel of my palm from mine. Colin has my NS at the moment (he's making a sheath for it), otherwise I'd squeeze the handle and take a picture of the marks it leaves on my hand.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Martyn, no problems here. I was only wanting to satisfy a bit of curiosity on my part and perhaps learn your method of usage and in no way was my response designed to reflect on your review of the NS. Your personal review was well written and your opinion and feelings are respected, but whether or not I will take them or leave them, really isn't at issue, or important.

Jake, I don't know if my hand is considered large or not. I wear a standard large size glove by U.S. standards and find the knife to function well for me. So, I guess to answer your question, yeah, I find the knife suitable for bushcraft. For it's size and weight, I was pleasantly surprised at the agility of the knife as well as it's robustness. But like anything else, our likes are our own and what I like or dislike in a knife, is really only my opinion.

Certainly our experience at how we hold a knife while using it, or how we actually perform a task with the knife as compared to others and the style of blade and handle we are used to will affect how we would evaluate the knife in question. Ha, I'm sure that there is a Scandi out there that will make the NS suck raw eggs in comparison and I'm sure the Woodlore or similar styles of knife are superb. I just haven't handled any of them enough, if at all, to make any kind of determination as to whether the NS stands up to them, or they to it, or if it really matters.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
RovingArcher said:
Martyn, no problems here. I was only wanting to satisfy a bit of curiosity on my part and perhaps learn your method of usage and in no way was my response designed to reflect on your review of the NS. Your personal review was well written and your opinion and feelings are respected, but whether or not I will take them or leave them, really isn't at issue, or important.

No sweat RA. I was on my back foot, waiting for the onslaught of flames and I suppose a little defensive.

I dunno if you've read Mikes comments...

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?p=90588

It would seem the issue of handle size/shape has already been identified and a new model in the pipes. Great customer service from BRK&T - well done Mr Stewart. :biggthump

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
There is almost nothing in the world as personal as a knife handle - a handle that works for one person just doesn't work for another. Our hands are so sensitive and minute variances in size can feel enormous (just as a chipped tooth feels like a huge hunk of it is out if you feel it with your tongue). Equally, you'll find people who rave about Swiss Army Knives and multi tools (both which have, from an ergonomic point of view, awful handles) who won't like a knife because of the handle. The quest for the ultimate handle is, I think, one that will never be achieved and I think the closest fit all handle was the stacked leather handle on the Ka-Bar (but again that's my opinion).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE