Frost River Isle Royale and Pouches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I thought I'd share a few pics of my new Frost River gear. My motives are partly to help out people who like this kind of thing (there is a scarcity of FR pics) and partly because I want to show it off!:approve:

Isle Royale Jnr Bushcraft Pack

f031f6ba.jpg

Padded leather and buckskin straps.

602bf1db.jpg

Sternum strap but no waist strap on this model.

bcbf6207.jpg

Sturdy solid brass D-ring lash points on the lid.

a372fafe.jpg

Leather lashing squares underneath.

a59b38fd.jpg

Map pocket in the lid which could probably do with a zip!

12770ad1.jpg

The pockets have got a sleeve behind them for longer items.

c70608c1.jpg

You could, if you wanted to, put a knife in the wand pocket on the side as is popular Stateside. I will not be carrying my knife like this but you get the idea ;)

d953faa0.jpg

I also ordered a medium pouch and a Lunchbag for internal organisation. I just loved the look of the Lunchbag, so old school. I need to mod the closure strap though, its not very secure!

98e38b10.jpg

The Lunchbag is for the brew kit, it gives you an idea what it will hold.

42c3f6cc.jpg

And the medium pouch is for the bits and bobs, the 'Bush Toolkit.'

4eac29c9.jpg

Although the pack was quite expensive the pouches were real good value. The pack itself is very versatile, I could load it up for two or three nights easy but it cinches down well for just a day hike.

I'm building a good collection of canvas gear now. Its not a problem, I could quit whenever I want:rolleyes:

a8b84da6.jpg

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
i love that last photo it's a reassurance my canvas habit hasn't got out of hand yet
thanks for the review/pics
how secure does the axe feel when its carried like that?

The husqy has quite a curved handle so its really snug in that sleeve. A more straight handled axe or a hawk might be a bit baggier but if the pack isn't too full you can fasten the lid down over the axe head.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Stunning mate cracking pictures i use a duluth pathfinder. Theres a great feeling using them and very practical too

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Thanks for that prawnster i really like the idea but never been certain how effective it is
one day i'll own a duluth but til then i'm happy with my rugged river pack
canvas has this feel to it that modern materials dont seem to or is it just me?

I used to have a Rugged River pack, I think it was called a Roamer. Lovely bit of kit, just as well put together as this Frost River gear. I regret passing it on but I'm sure someone's getting good use out of it.

The canvas has a great feel to it, it's not just you. I've gone back to synthetic gear once but it doesn't give me the same enjoyment in the hobby so I'm back on canvas stuff. The quality of materials, from the brass to the leather just gives you a sense of old school proven reliability. It smells wonderful too:)

Sent from whatever the coolest gadget is these days.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I'm building a good collection of canvas gear now. Its not a problem, I could quit whenever I want:rolleyes:

a8b84da6.jpg

Yeah, yeah, quit whenever you want LOL.

I love canvas and old school knapsacks/bergans and that pack is outstandingly classy.

I don't need another pack, but I want one like that.

Thanks for posting, great pictures, although I wished I hadn't looked now...

Liam

TROOPER

Aug 17, 2009
essex
Absolutely wicked, i have one meself and it's stunning. Like the idea of the pouch i might have to get me one of them.

Isle Royale Jnr Bushcraft Pack

f031f6ba.jpg

Padded leather and buckskin straps.

602bf1db.jpg

Sternum strap but no waist strap on this model.

bcbf6207.jpg

Sturdy solid brass D-ring lash points on the lid.

a372fafe.jpg

Leather lashing squares underneath.

a59b38fd.jpg

Map pocket in the lid which could probably do with a zip!

12770ad1.jpg

The pockets have got a sleeve behind them for longer items.

c70608c1.jpg

You could, if you wanted to, put a knife in the wand pocket on the side as is popular Stateside. I will not be carrying my knife like this but you get the idea ;)

d953faa0.jpg

I also ordered a medium pouch and a Lunchbag for internal organisation. I just loved the look of the Lunchbag, so old school. I need to mod the closure strap though, its not very secure!

98e38b10.jpg

The Lunchbag is for the brew kit, it gives you an idea what it will hold.

42c3f6cc.jpg

And the medium pouch is for the bits and bobs, the 'Bush Toolkit.'

4eac29c9.jpg

Although the pack was quite expensive the pouches were real good value. The pack itself is very versatile, I could load it up for two or three nights easy but it cinches down well for just a day hike.

a8b84da6.jpg
[/QUOTE]

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
Please excuse me for asking - did you manage to source the pack in the UK or did you import it?

If the latter, did you get hit for import charges as well.

Many thanks.

Best Wishes
David

TROOPER

Aug 17, 2009
essex
Hi adriatikfan

I actually had to import mine from the U.S. and yes i got hit for import duties and VAT :yuck:, HMRC have all the details on their website, but you can now get the isle royal bushcraft jnr pack here in the UK :D via these guys

http://www.originalequipmentshop.com/ goodjob

costs around £295:00 but they do other Frost River Goodies too, hope that helps you buddy

Please excuse me for asking - did you manage to source the pack in the UK or did you import it?

Many thanks.

Best Wishes
David

Last edited:

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hi adriatikfan

I actually had to import mine from the U.S. and yes i got hit for import duties and VAT :yuck:, HMRC have all the details on their website, but you can now get the isle royal bushcraft jnr pack here in the UK :D via these guys

http://www.originalequipmentshop.com/ goodjob

costs around £295:00 but they do other Frost River Goodies too, hope that helps you buddy

Thanks Trooper - much appreciated.

Best Wishes
David

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens

Many thanks.

Best Wishes
David

Ordered it straight from the very helpful folks at Frost River. It wasn't cheap but it's good value when you consider that it will last longer than your lifetime.

I got a bill from FedEx for the customs duty about a month after it arrived. That really stung as I thought I'd gotten away with it!

Sent from my phone.

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I got a bill from FedEx for the customs duty about a month after it arrived. That really stung as I thought I'd gotten away with it!

Been thinking about getting the bigger version of this pack but I was put off when I ran a customs cost check, over £100 for it and a tool roll. Not sure how accurate that was though, mind if I ask how much you were charged?

Thanks for posting the pictures not been able to find many :)
Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE