Frontier Stove ( Pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've used a piece of wire wrapped round my centre pole and then the flue pipe, works well on my Bergans and Helsport stove if I get the pitch a bit wonky :)

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
A quick question Frontier owners please...

I have just ordered one and plan to eventually use it in my canvas bell-tent with the flue fitted - do you think I would need more flue sections to get a good height above the tent on the outside? It is a 4/6 person Bell. Roof height in the centre is about 2.5 m.

Cheers

kawasemi

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
A quick question Frontier owners please...

I have just ordered one and plan to eventually use it in my canvas bell-tent with the flue fitted - do you think I would need more flue sections to get a good height above the tent on the outside? It is a 4/6 person Bell. Roof height in the centre is about 2.5 m.

Cheers

kawasemi

I hope not mate as i have the same setup. Will be fitting mine towards the end of the week so if no-one else chimes in will let you know then.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Don't you normally fit them in bell tents so that the flue exits via a silicone grommet halfway up the roof, rather than out of the very top, so that flue height is lower?

Thats how i intend to fit mine after starting a thread on here. I think the issue then is the flue being high enough to not cover the tent in soot.
Nearly 9 feet high though i think its going to be cool.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Yes, I had a good test of my Frontier stove and flue last week - I had about 9ft of flue going out of the top hat in my Helsport lavvu, with the Frontier stove spark arrestor. The spark arrestor does a very good job and caught nearly all the black bits and embers rising up the flue. I didn't observe anything landing on the lavvu at all, although I was using good quality hard wood. I reckon a more resinous soft wood might have thrown up more stuff. Good luck with the first firing.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
used mine about seven times now, with both good quality hardwood and more resinous soft wood and never had any problems with embers due to the spark arrestor, would recommend anyone buying a frontier stove to buy a spark arrestor with it as well, also sorts out the wobbly chimney problem as the spark arrestor comes with three guy lines to sort the wobbly problem out.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
I hope not mate as i have the same setup. Will be fitting mine towards the end of the week so if no-one else chimes in will let you know then.

Some feedback would be great, cheers. A big box arrived today - should be the Frontier:dancer:

Yes, I had a good test of my Frontier stove and flue last week - I had about 9ft of flue going out of the top hat in my Helsport lavvu, with the Frontier stove spark arrestor. The spark arrestor does a very good job and caught nearly all the black bits and embers rising up the flue. I didn't observe anything landing on the lavvu at all, although I was using good quality hard wood. I reckon a more resinous soft wood might have thrown up more stuff. Good luck with the first firing.

used mine about seven times now, with both good quality hardwood and more resinous soft wood and never had any problems with embers due to the spark arrestor, would recommend anyone buying a frontier stove to buy a spark arrestor with it as well, also sorts out the wobbly chimney problem as the spark arrestor comes with three guy lines to sort the wobbly problem out.

Cheers - I have ordered a spark arrestor - glad that I did based on your info, appreciated.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I understand that the snag with a permanent installation in a shed or similar is that the flue needs to be swept every few days and this is a take-down job to do. I suppose you could disconnect the flue at the base and shove a long brush up it but that might be difficult to do. If it's set up in a tent it is no bother to take the stove out, take the sections apart and give them a clean.

Having said that, I haven't had the flue on mine clog up yet.

bigegg

Jan 24, 2012
leeds
sorry to bump an old thread - good review by the way.
I'm thinking of welding one of these up out of a propane cylinder, and just want to double check the (very comprehensive) measurements.
The original article says that each flue section is 7 1/2" diameter x 16" long.
That doesn't correspond to the pictures - the length of each piece is 4 or 5 times as long as the diameter.
Is it 7 1/2 in circumference? or should that be 4 1/2" diameter?

Thanks

Balloonatic

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Hertfordshire
Hi All, sorry to resurrect an old thread but a. it's a pretty good thread with an excellent review and b. I didn't think it was worth starting a new one. I am looking at fitting one of these stoves to my shed however I'm slightly concerned about running a single walled flue through a wooden roof. I was wondering whether anyone had used one with the shed flushing kit and whether that keeps the edge of the wood far enough away from the flue to avoid too much risk of the shed burning down. I am currently looking at ways to fix a twin-wall flue to the end of the flue that comes with the stove, this seems like the safest option but as far as I can tell the stove flue is 2 inch diameter whilst the smallest twin wall I can find is 3, there doesn't seem to be an adaptor to make it smaller either which is somewhat frustrating.

Anyhow, advice from those in the know most appreciated on a couple of points:

1. Is the shed flashing kit sufficient on it's own to go through an ordinary wood and felt shed roof?
2. Is there a way to fit 3 inch twin wall to the 2 inch flue?

I was also wondering whether the spark catcher had a 'cap' on it and whether anyone had any bright ideas for heat shielding the wall and floor around the stove.

Thanks folks.

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Can't help you with the shed flashing.
The spark arrestor is capped at the end.
I shielded my workshop walls ready for a stove and used aquapanel from Wickes or other diy stores.

It is a cement based heavy board usually used for boarding out showers and wet areas. It isn't strictly fire proof as far as regs go but works well, is not flammable and is significantly cheaper than proper fire board.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I have the Frontier going through my cotton Tipi with the silicone flashing kit, never gets hot enough to damage that! Also had a Chinamans hat made for the top, prevents backdraft and wind across the chimney top. Will post pictures tomorrow though they are on BCUK already. Remember that the chimney needs swept every 4 or so days.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
P020812_08.18.jpg

Tipi with silicone flashing kit and Chinamans hat/spark arrestor.
S7300255.JPG

Sorry about the mess, just fitted stove, away from wall, flue doesn't really get too scorching hot above 3/4th section.

Frontier shed flashing kit. http://bushcraftcampingstoves.co.uk/frontier-stove-accessories/17-frontier-stove-shed-flashing-kit.html

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE